RC poster

Cheap ways to make your summit 1/16 better

So I bought my 1/16 Summit VXL a couple months ago. I love this thing. I read all over the forums about driveshafts breaking, but I have literally not had one thing go the least bit wrong. Well, the steering servo burnt out within the first week, but traxxas gives you a free 30 day warrantee on those things. Took it back to my retailer and they replaced it for free. I've run at least 10 packs of 3s lipo and no problems at all. At this point I'm starting to upgrade things just for looks. I originally wanted to do some 2.2 bead locks but man those cost a fortune. So I went to my hobby shop and bought myself $18 of spray paint. Viola
    A can black for the rims and a can of red for the locknuts. A can of matte finish for the both. Lemme know what you think. Also I was at a local yard sale and I found this!
    It's a new bright(ish) hard body and it fits perfectly. I haven't drilled holes or anything for body posts yet... I'm thinking about putting it for sale on eBay. If anybody is interested I will post a link to the listing. More
    To come soon, I just bought a silverado body and I have some idea for painting it. Thanks everybody. More to come

Just a few more pics
    Last edited by cooleocool; 06-04-2014 at 09:51 AM. Reason: merge

RC Qualifier
    Nice, don't forget to check the diffs see if they need to be shimmed.
    Those who forfeit liberty 4 security get neither

RC poster
    I haven't gotten around to that yet... I read the thread on how to do it but am not sure what to look for

RC Qualifier
    I'm pretty sure you need the shims to check.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by qzhearty View Post
    Guys, if you have any simple or cheap mods/ upgrades that you've done to your mini summit please post them here
    What silverado body did you get? I got the proline 2500 hd one for the stampede and was gonna extend my chassis and decided not to. Since I have a nitro pefe I put the body pn that, but platidiped the outside of the bed with it.

If your wheels have raised letters, I use a white paint marker to make them stand out.
    People Eating Tasty Animals

RC poster
    I got this body: http://m.ebay.com/itm/151283718704?nav=SEARCH I was thinking about plastidipping the body but I'm not sure what that looks like. Do you have a pic?

Haha sorry its not a silverado
    Last edited by cooleocool; 06-04-2014 at 09:52 AM. Reason: merge

RC Qualifier
    ]
    I got this body: http://m.ebay.com/itm/151283718704?nav=SEARCH I was thinking about plastidipping the body but I'm not sure what that looks like. Do you have a pic?

Haha sorry its not a silverado
    Looks like a chevy avalanche.

Plastidip is available in several colors, I use the black in a spray can. Its a rubbery grippy flat black. It can rub off, and peels off like a paint mask.

Another tip for chrome is to use that chrome duct tape. I cant seem to find the perfect working spazstix paint, so I use tape on the outside on the bumpers.
    Last edited by Chubaka; 06-04-2014 at 06:05 PM.
    People Eating Tasty Animals

RC poster
    got the avalanche body in. I've started painting it. Sadly I ran out of black spray paint right now.😕 More
    To come

After a ton of tape and spray paint I'm finally done
    Last edited by cooleocool; 06-09-2014 at 09:35 AM. Reason: merge

Did you paint the outside or the inside of that body?
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

RC poster
    Both.... For some reason the film came on the outside but I thought it normally came on the inside.... So I left the film on for the clear and red parts, did the outside black, then did the inside red and taped off the clear on the inside. It was complicated but worth it

RC Qualifier
    Almost always you should paint on the inside. And the paint itself is special flexable paint.

RC Qualifier
    It looks good, I like the flat matte look

Both.... For some reason the film came on the outside but I thought it normally came on the inside.... So I left the film on for the clear and red parts, did the outside black, then did the inside red and taped off the clear on the inside. It was complicated but worth it
    The film on the outside is over spray film. The film prevents over spray from getting on the outside of the body when you're painting the inside of it.

And USA1 is correct, these bodies were intended to be painted on the inside with proper lexan paint. Painting the inside helps to protect the paint in rollovers and the like.
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

RC poster
    Oops. Well I had intended this body more for show anyways. Now I'm trying my hand at styrene using the exo cage as a bade

RC Competitor
    Nice body! Where did you get the chevy one? It looks slick! I want that body! Ebay maybe?

RC poster
    eBay. I think there's one more!

RC Qualifier
    I really want a 1972 Blazer body.

RC poster
    That would be nice

RC Competitor
    Alright ill hopefully get that body off ebay. Thanks