RC Champion

Think the kids just blew the diffs...

Had just finished posting my other ? about LVD too early and I looked out the window. The kids were fighting over whose turn it was to drive the mSummit. My son was holding the truck in place by pushing down on it while my older daughter was trying to drive it away!

After I broke it up, I drove it for a sec and it's starting to click again in FWD and REV! I think they started to kill the diffs again. Grr!
    What broke, uh, needs upgrading now?

RC Champion
    Dang that sucks.
    With great brushless comes great responsibility.

RC Qualifier
    Yep my son is three and before he learned to drive he broke a lot of stuff. But the diffs in are summit weren't from mistreatment it was cause I didn't shim soon anough
    Those who forfeit liberty 4 security get neither

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by USA1 View Post
    Yep my son is three and before he learned to drive he broke a lot of stuff. But the diffs in are summit weren't from mistreatment it was cause I didn't shim soon anough
    That's what's so frustrating is that I just put a lot of work into shimming both diffs.

The kids hadn't been into RC for a while. Guess I better get another RC up and running to reduce the jealousy/fighting factor.

RC Qualifier
    Yep I have same problem. What I've done in past and still do is the three wreak rule. If they roll it three times or smash into something it's next persons turn. Or a cheap cooking timer.

I'm kind of stumped on how just how the kids spun three u joints out of merv drive shafts. I wasn't watching when it happened.

RC Champion
    Took it for a test drive. Help me figure out why the front wheels aren't turning anymore!

http://youtu.be/8JU369kjIq0

RC Qualifier
    well either the diff melted together, or more likely your front driveshaft snapped, and is hung up on something.

RC Champion

Well, this has got to be part of the problem!

See the metal ball with arms by itself out of the front center driveshaft #7056?

And now disassembled:

Last edited by OlorinTharkun; 05-30-2014 at 07:00 PM.

RC Champion
    Is the chassis hosed too? Hope not!

RC Champion
    So upon inspection and looking at the exploded views and parts list, I need a new front center driveshaft, 7056, which on Fleabay I can get the front center and the center driveshaft, in stock plastic for $5 - 7 shipped. But I also see an upgrade options available. The 7250R ($23 or so).

Is it worth it?

RC Qualifier
    I broke my front driveline same as u. I think I would do steel drive lines before 4 steel driveshafts. But I think I'm going to stick with stock on both. If they made aluminum drivelines I'd be apt to buy them, but steel ones is all they make I think.

I think ur chassis is fine. Superficial damage.

That skid plate is wicked scratched up. I thought mine was bad.
    Last edited by USA1; 05-30-2014 at 11:24 PM.

RC Champion

Ok, thanks USA. I meant the steel driveline not the 4 driveshafts to the wheels. I ordered the stock ones too for now. As they say its a cheap "fuse" if the kids do this again or something else happens that would cause this kind of damage.

What really chaps my hide is after I ordered the replacement one, I was trying to check the bearings in the steering assembly and it "exploded" and half of it disappeared... Along with one of the bearings.

RC Champion
    Since this is nominally my daughters truck, couldn't resist this replacement steering assembly: