RC Competitor

is Alias that Bad?

i'm new in flying rc. since i cant't fly 450 size 6ch heli and now being attracted to quadcopter.

i read a lot of issue of Alias. is it true? didn't traxxas do something about the issue?
    last month i want to buy Alias, but since i read about the motor issue, I decided to buy another product.
    Unfortunately, these products also have the same issue.

Now, it looks like I chose to go back to the first option. I just wanted to make sure whether the traxxas make improvements on the newest products.

This motor problem may be overcome by replacing the motors of other brands, but if traxxas fix this problem, I think it would be better.

I really hope traxxas respond to this issue in Alias​​, and create new products that are non-issues.

regards.

RC Racer
    no... not bad by a long shot. yes, there were motor issues with the first run, but they were hit and miss. some had problems, some didn't. I personally have had no issues with the first run motors as of yet. yes, while Traxxas has not officially made any statements on the motors, there has been a release of motors from them that seem to be upgraded and those who have them have not reported any problems.
    like you also said... there are alternatives if needed and the Alias is a bunch of fun. designed to take a beating, versatile for beginners to learn with but also a great sport flyer for those with experience. I love mine and am very happy with my decision to go with one for my first quad .
    ...go for it .
    Think YELLOW Traxxas, please make a YELLOW Alias.

RC Competitor
    Cummington, MA. 25 miles everywhere from nowhere
    35 flights so far with the new motors without any incidents or situations that would have stressed the motors; a couple of "throttle kill" landings from low altitude only. I have not yet seen any performance drop off but a slow, gradual uniform performance drop off would not be easily noticed unless a motor failed. In 15 more flights I will compare this quad's performance against another brand new Alias with the new style motors and compare performances.

RC Competitor
    thanks spoonerrw, thanks jbrumberg.

yes, i'll go for it.
    about the motor issued, i hope i get one with no issue. if i get the motor issue, i change the motor then..

*for traxxas, please solve the motor problem. if necessary by replacing with a motor that is more powerful and durable like as traxxas products should

RC Competitor
    Cummington, MA. 25 miles everywhere from nowhere
    Rajadody- Great news! The Alias has become my Go To" quad of choice. Just take not to stress the motors by trying to kill the throttle prior to crashing which happens, and try not to power stall the motors. These are the standard recommendations. I also let my motors cool for a couple of minutes between flights. This can be hard because these can be fun flyers. I do not think that this "cool down" is necessary. Also make sure the gears are free from grit, etc. Anything that can help with motor longevity should be utilized. 37 flights without incident and/or motor issues excepting a couple of throttle kill landings from low altitude.

Good luck and have fun.

JB

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by rajadody View Post
    thanks spoonerrw, thanks jbrumberg.

yes, i'll go for it.
    about the motor issued, i hope i get one with no issue. if i get the motor issue, i change the motor then..

*for traxxas, please solve the motor problem. if necessary by replacing with a motor that is more powerful and durable like as traxxas products should
    you are welcome . you are not going to be dis-appointed in the Alias. despite what ever the issues are with the first run motors, the newer motors will soon replace them. even if you get one that has the older motors, and even if those motors have issues, Traxxas has been very good about taking care of people and they have been replacing the older motors with the newer ones. there are also the alternative motors which work out very well. no matter what the case ends up being, the Alias itself is going to surprise you very nicely. there has been enough discussion and research now, by the end users, that no matter what ends up happening with the motors... we have found ways around them that work and keep it flying .
    you could always ask the dealer to take it out of the box and check it? online would be harder to verify, but if you go to a hobby shop, you could check it right there. I doubt seriously that all the suppliers and hobby shops have exhausted their stock of first run Alias, but maybe? it has sold pretty hot and fast since it was released. will keep fingers crossed for ya .
    also, it wasn't every first run motor that had the issues. many never had a single problem with them, me included. my first set got 59 flights before one failed. my second set is now at 42. I personally would like to see them go for 100 flights for what they cost, but, I have flown them VERY hard and crashed them in ways that should have killed them already. maybe they would if I toned down my flying habits? n'ah... this puppy is too much fun not to push to its limits, lol. you are going to have a lot of fun with this quad!

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by spoonerrw View Post
    you are welcome . you are not going to be dis-appointed in the Alias. despite what ever the issues are with the first run motors, the newer motors will soon replace them. even if you get one that has the older motors, and even if those motors have issues, Traxxas has been very good about taking care of people and they have been replacing the older motors with the newer ones. there are also the alternative motors which work out very well. no matter what the case ends up being, the Alias itself is going to surprise you very nicely. there has been enough discussion and research now, by the end users, that no matter what ends up happening with the motors... we have found ways around them that work and keep it flying .
    you could always ask the dealer to take it out of the box and check it? online would be harder to verify, but if you go to a hobby shop, you could check it right there. I doubt seriously that all the suppliers and hobby shops have exhausted their stock of first run Alias, but maybe? it has sold pretty hot and fast since it was released. will keep fingers crossed for ya .
    also, it wasn't every first run motor that had the issues. many never had a single problem with them, me included. my first set got 59 flights before one failed. my second set is now at 42. I personally would like to see them go for 100 flights for what they cost, but, I have flown them VERY hard and crashed them in ways that should have killed them already. maybe they would if I toned down my flying habits? n'ah... this puppy is too much fun not to push to its limits, lol. you are going to have a lot of fun with this quad!
    thanks for the info spoonerrw.
    i just got info that Alias available on my local hobby shop. i agree for you about to test it before buy. little bit pricey than online but i think it's ok because i don't have to wait for about a month..

i just can't wait to have fun with.

RC Racer
    My advice, just look at the motors to see if they're new design. You'll likely be better off if you spend at least one battery pack breaking in the motors slowly (on the ground) before flying it. You can't really help a motor after you've scorched the brushes and coms. To be sure, not everyone does this. But it can't hurt, especially with the history of motor issues.

RC Competitor
    Rajadody, you're gonna love your Alias. It's big, easy to see (day or night), and the six-axis stabilization system (in default or Exp. 1 mode) is great. I had fun getting a feel for mine indoors during the winter, and have had a blast outdoors.

As for the motor 'problem,' it's not limited to the Alias. A local hobby store proprietor said that such high performance motors, of all brands, are bound to fail sooner or later. Even "Brand Y" motors, talked about both here and on Facebook are subject to failure, if I read their website's documentation correctly.

Enjoy. I'm sure you will . . . I am.

I'm sorry you've had a problem. Many of us do not have the same issue. I have lost two motors total on two Aliai since December. They plain wore out.
    I've seen and heard a great many members over-react at initial breakage, no matter what the vehicle. It is common that things get broken until one learns what to do and what NOT to do. However, it is much rarer for one to not learn from these experience and continue on the accelerated breakage schedule. There have been some notable exceptions to this typical learning process, especially with respect to the Alias. Unfortunately, it is easier for some to blame the equipment than to learn.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Enthusiast
    Other than first batch issues, the alias has been great. Had mine since christmas.

I fly it in exp2 no matter what, and I've had my share of good splats with it. Pick it up, and it's up in the air again.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabin View Post
    Other than first batch issues, the alias has been great. Had mine since christmas.

I fly it in exp2 no matter what, and I've had my share of good splats with it. Pick it up, and it's up in the air again.
    same here and exp2 only as well... bought mine in November and lost one motor at 59 after beating the poor thing half to death. second set of original run motors in that one going strong at 42. this past Monday I was testing the rates for ail/ele at 100% in exp2 and trying a funnel to close to the ground. I accidently flipped it over and all four motors still spinning against the asphalt. chewed up a set of blades, but flipped it over and back in the air it went.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy1 View Post
    My advice, just look at the motors to see if they're new design. You'll likely be better off if you spend at least one battery pack breaking in the motors slowly (on the ground) before flying it. You can't really help a motor after you've scorched the brushes and coms. To be sure, not everyone does this. But it can't hurt, especially with the history of motor issues.
    yes Jeremy1, i'm thinking of break-in the motor slowly on the ground also. about the motor design, i read about that the new motor has new can design that had a hole on top of the motor.

but i think, like Winder-388thVFW said, i agreed about that high performance motor are subject to failure. so i think to get extra motor.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Winder-388thVFW View Post
    Rajadody, you're gonna love your Alias. It's big, easy to see (day or night), and the six-axis stabilization system (in default or Exp. 1 mode) is great. I had fun getting a feel for mine indoors during the winter, and have had a blast outdoors.

As for the motor 'problem,' it's not limited to the Alias. A local hobby store proprietor said that such high performance motors, of all brands, are bound to fail sooner or later. Even "Brand Y" motors, talked about both here and on Facebook are subject to failure, if I read their website's documentation correctly.

Enjoy. I'm sure you will . . . I am.
    yes winder-388thVFW, thanks. i'll get spare motor for my Alias.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    I'm sorry you've had a problem. Many of us do not have the same issue. I have lost two motors total on two Aliai since December. They plain wore out.
    I've seen and heard a great many members over-react at initial breakage, no matter what the vehicle. It is common that things get broken until one learns what to do and what NOT to do. However, it is much rarer for one to not learn from these experience and continue on the accelerated breakage schedule. There have been some notable exceptions to this typical learning process, especially with respect to the Alias. Unfortunately, it is easier for some to blame the equipment than to learn.
    i also agreed with ksb51rl. as i know that all for motor is controlled by gyro that the motor will run in different speed. depends on pilot flying style.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by lostindallas View Post
    Had mine less than a month less than 20 flights, motors burned out. Traxxas fix? they'll replace motors once if I have pictures, a sales receipt and they don't think I have abusive. I thought they had this fixed?
    it was ok while it lasted, but not worth the money.
    i'm sorry for problems on your alias. my first micro quad also had same problem. after about a week, and one motor act funny at first, an then stop spinning.

RC Competitor
    yes Sabin. we are all hope that new batch of Alias will have issued free.

RC Enthusiast
    what?

It's like there's a part of this reply that's missing...

RC Competitor
    what?

It's like there's a part of this reply that's missing...

sorry, i forgot to reply with quote.

RC Racer
    New Alias to be issue-free is how I read it. Yes, we all hope for that.

RC poster
    Hmm... 15 flights, and motor #5 just went in tonight.

Flight #16 went ok. We'll see what tomorrow brings.

Quote Originally Posted by fenriswolf039 View Post
    Hmm... 15 flights, and motor #5 just went in tonight.

Flight #16 went ok. We'll see what tomorrow brings.
    Does the motor count include the one that failed after crashing hard from a significantly high altitude, as you mentioned in another post?

RC poster
    I from Canada just bought alias last week 12 flights 2 motors not spinning.. I have 30 days for warranty I have 2 motor issues I email traxxas support... Are they going to give me motor replacement?

Quote Originally Posted by smirnoffgurl905 View Post
    I from Canada just bought alias last week 12 flights 2 motors not spinning.. I have 30 days for warranty I have 2 motor issues I email traxxas support... Are they going to give me motor replacement?
    That's a question for Traxxas Customer Service, NOT for the forum We can't tell you because we don't know.