RC poster

Need help diagnosing my spartan.

OK so I purchased a spartan yesterday. Im not new to traxxas but am new to rc boats. I bought a house on the water and figured one would be fun.

Had it working great yesterday until I hit a wake from a boat and it flipped and I had to go out on my jet ski and rescue it. IT was completely under water except for the foam piece in the hull keeping it afloat. Brought it in, rinsed it with fresh and dried it out, then took it out again, Worked fine for about 5 min then just stopped but this time was beeping. So I figured that was the low voltage for the Lipo batteries. and Did the same as before rinsed and let it dry, charged the lipos and today went to run it and no life from it at all. The transmitter comes on with its red light but theres no light or beeping otherwise. Any help is appreciated. All wires are solid nothing has come undone, I get the little "spark" when hooking up the batteries so I know its getting power. Thanks!

RC Qualifier
    Take the top of your Rx box off to expose your Rx. Unplug your ESC from your RX #2 channel. Turn on your Tx, and plug in a 6vdc supply to your Rx receptacle marked BAT. Take your Tx, and move your steering. Your rudder servo should work. If so, use your rudder servo, and plug it into your Rx receptacle marked #2 channel. Move your Tx throttle trigger, and you should see your Rudder servo work. If your RX #1 and #2 channels work...good Tx and good RX, but bad ESC. If one of your Rx channels don't work, bad RX. If both RX channels don't work, could be a bad RX or a bad Tx. If you have this condition, take your Spartan Tx and bind it to another (new or known good) Traxxas Rx. Test your Spartan Tx with your non-Spartan Rx the same way you tested your original Spartan Rx. If every thing is okay, you have a bad Spartan Rx. If not okay, (your Spartan Tx doesn't work with this different Rx) you have a bad Spartan Tx.

RC poster
    Looks like bad ESC, can't believe one dunk in the tank was enough to do it in. Just curious how do I get the ESC removed from the chassis? Theres no screws holding it down. Thanks!

RC Qualifier
    It's been awhile since I removed a stock ESC, but if I recall it is held in with a couple of tabs, and double sided sticky tape.
    Release the tabs, and it takes a good pull to free it from the tape.

If you submerge your electronics you should give them a day or two dry out before powering up again. Open the Rx box and leave the hatch off with the boat in a warm dry area usually works. Or, remove the component tray, open up the Rx box, and put it in a bag of rice to help absorb the moisture.

Powering up wet electronics is high risk on shorting them out. Whether they call them water proof or water resistant there is no guarantee they will resist complete immersion.

There has been some issues with the Spartan ESC, so talk to Traxxas customer service, they have been excellent with warranty coverage on the components.

Hog

RC Qualifier
    The ESC is easily removable by just giving it a pull and it should pop right out of the power module. IMO it sounds like a RX/TX issue. If you have another vehicle you should use the RX/TX to test the ESC and see if its burned out. JMO
    Powered by Castle.....

RC poster
    OK new findings today. Got new batteries for it, Charged them up and got more life out of it. The transmitter and servos are confirmed to be working, but I never had trouble with them. The ESC now went from just a faint blinking red light to now it beeping constantly and flashing red and green. Not sure what that means, any help ?
    Last edited by awp317; 05-28-2014 at 07:14 PM.

RC Qualifier
    I've never run the stock electrics, so really not familiar with them to be of any specific help.

My guess though is the ESC is faulted, try calling Traxxas customer care.

hog
    Last edited by hog; 05-28-2014 at 11:12 PM.

RC poster
    looks like I need a new ESC. Whats the recommended replacement?

RC Qualifier
    Many of us have gone with the sea king 180 amp marine esc.
    Reasonably priced, rated for higher amps than the stock esc, and it fits the component tray with some relatively easy mods.
    Most of us have also found it reliable as long as you stay reasonable with motor and prop upgrades.

Hog

RC poster
    i too ran my spartan with 6s for the first time for maybe 30 seconds and it just quit, dis/reconnect battery turned on went again 20 seconds very fast and again it just stopped responding . now i plug batts in and it does nothing dead….i'm assuming its the esc i'd like to also upgrade but i'm reading peoples reviews on the sea king 180 and some say theres only lasted minutes with 6s. so whats a good reliable upgrade???? thanks chris

RC Qualifier
    I think if you do so more searches and research you'll find there are more successes with the SK180 than failures.

Any electronic component can fail due to defect, and, without knowing what motor/prop combo is being used, it is hard to comment on why the failures happened.

I have run 180 ESC's in both my Spartans since new (three seasons) and they have been solid.

I did fry one, but I was pushing it beyond it's limitations, so the failure was on me, not the ESC.

There are other ESC's that can be used, but my first recommendation stays with the 180, for the reasons indicated in my post above.

hog

RC poster
    i run completely stock front to back i even had traxxas lipo's in it, couldn't of ran more then 12 seconds before just stopping. a quick disconnect reconnect got it going again for another 20 seconds then again died..now does nothing at all no beep no lights nothing…..

RC poster
    is the sk180 something i can find online???? having problems finding it where it doesn't ship from china.

RC Qualifier
    Yes, should be available on line.
    Sea King is Hobby Wing's Marine line of ESC.
    Off Shore Electrics, Kintec Racing, are a couple places to try.
    I'm surprised a search for Sea King 180 doesn't bring up multiple resellers
    Hog

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by hog View Post
    Many of us have gone with the sea king 180 amp marine esc.
    Reasonably priced, rated for higher amps than the stock esc, and it fits the component tray with some relatively easy mods.
    Most of us have also found it reliable as long as you stay reasonable with motor and prop upgrades.

Hog
    Whats a good ESC for someone not on a budget? Also seems like I better change out the radio transmitter too, any recommendation on that front? I just want it to be reliable. Im not one for modifying beyond stock so I would be sticking with stock motor and stock prop. Thanks!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by awp317 View Post
    Whats a good ESC for someone not on a budget? Also seems like I better change out the radio transmitter too, any recommendation on that front? I just want it to be reliable. Im not one for modifying beyond stock so I would be sticking with stock motor and stock prop. Thanks!
    If you are not on a budget I would suggest a SwordFish 240 or a Castle Creations Hyrda Ice 240. But if you are sticking with stock prop and stock motor I think you would only need the 180 esc.