RC Qualifier

EZ peak-plus white smoke of doom

So I think my EZ peak gave up the ghost? but in a confusing way. I tried charging it at the track off a car battery for the first time. Big poof of white smoke shot out of the fan port... whoop! but it still charged the batteries fine when I tried again, or so I thought. My LiPo batteries have been starting to get out of balance and now I know why, the balancer on the charger seems to be entirely shot? if try to charge in balance mode it will not balance the batteries at all it seems. It will get them to where one cell is peak and then the rest sort of float around in voltage and never actually even out. I've tried letting it run on slow current for an entire 24hr and still nothing. Also if the balance lead is not plugged in it still lets me balance charge. It's like the balance function simply stopped existing after the incident.

Is this a known issue with a solution?

RC Qualifier
    you should ALWAYS charge in the balance mode. how close are your #'s while balancing??

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by knall View Post
    you should ALWAYS charge in the balance mode. how close are your #'s while balancing??
    Always have, always do. They've gone way out of whack... only used them a few times. Never let them run that low, always checked them with my voltage meter after to make sure they're balanced and above 3.6v after run. After charging though, Batt one is 4.15 4.20 3.7, batt two is 4.15 4.19 3.8. It's weird. Doing the same thing to my 2s batteries now too. Those are literally brand new, just tried charging them for the first time today. 4.11 4.20 and 4.02 4.20. Checked before charging they were perfectly balanced. Not sure what this charger is doing, it just can't figure out what it's doing anymore

It does not seem like this is a repairable problem if it is an error on the part of the charger. Even if it powers up, a smoked charger , ESC, motor, etc. should not be used again. Please stop using it.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    It does not seem like this is a repairable problem if it is an error on the part of the charger. Even if it powers up, a smoked charger , ESC, motor, etc. should not be used again. Please stop using it.
    Noted. I'll get a replacement one tomorrow while I'm on my bike ride I think. Frustrating problem. No one likes seeing 100$ electronics just go poof.

RC Qualifier
    traxxas does have there lifetime plan, so it will only cost ya $50 ish..... gotta wait a week or 2 though

RC Qualifier
    Got my replacement, all my batteries work fine now. I can send out the old one and then re-sell it as NIB or.. something. Just glad it wasn't the batteries being actually out of balance but just the charger doing it wrong.