RC Enthusiast

Driving for a drag racing association

Tody, when I stopped into the local hobby store, a fortuitous event happened.

One of the directors for the local drag racing club was in getting some parts, and the conversation somehow drifted over to the next days' test and tune. He happened to mention that he owned a Traxxas funny car and he was bringing it down to the drag strip to show his buddies. As luck would have it, he happened to be looking for a driver. I stuck my hand up and he told me to meet him at the strip to be the driver for his funny car.

So tomorrow, I'll be doing demo runs in front of an entire drag racing club. I'll try to get some video.

This is going to be awesome. I can hardly believe it myself.

RC Enthusiast
    Just finished the first day of racing.

Today was a test and tune day with the full size boys. oit of the box, I found the steering was way too twitchy for my tastes. But once I calmed down the throw and dialed in a fair bit of expo, it handled like a rail.

It was absolutely thrilling to be back on the track again after so long. Even with being super rusty, I put in a time that made the full size boys just gawk. I even got complimented by one of the guys there. He told my times put me into the super street class.

I advised him of a couple changes that were needed to be done and tomorrow is when I'll find out if they are where they need to be. If anything, it should put me in the low 9's, maybe the high 8's.

RC Qualifier
    Wait, what? The rc runs 9's in the 1/4?

RC Enthusiast
    I'm thinking 9's in the 1/8th.

Time ticket of my first (and only) run for today.

If you can't read the ticket, the times are:

reaction time 0.964
    redlight no
    dial-in 0
    breakout no
    60ft 1.988
    vehicle speed 36.36 (squirrley handling, and letting off the throttle near the end led to this)
    elapsed time 10.466

And some video.
    Last edited by Sabin; 05-24-2014 at 08:24 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    Tomorrow is going to be the day. But this time, with my own car.

19t gearing, motor timing at maximum, and a few other settings via castle link.

RC Enthusiast
    Runs are done. Only one run was timed for some reason, even though I put in about twelve passes.

2.055 0-60ft
    11.449 ET

RC Qualifier
    11.449 ET in the 1/4?
    XO-1 #4...

RC Enthusiast
    We hit the papers.

The one on the concrete slab is owned by a friend, and I'm on the lane prepping for a launch.

August 10th is the next day for our run.
    Last edited by Sabin; 06-28-2014 at 01:26 AM.