RC Competitor

Dumb question on glow plugs

Are all glow plugs the same? What is a good plug for the 3.3 motor?
    2wd Slash , Tmaxx classic

RC Qualifier
    No they are not all the same. You can have cold, medium and hot. They all vary based on fuel type and external temp. A medium is generally considered a good plug because it handles a broad variation in fuel types and temps. I would stick to medium Traxxas plugs until you really want to push and tune things to the limit. Very small margin for error.
    --
    Nitro-J-Rod

RC Qualifier
    BTW, not a dumb question. Be prepared for failure and learning.
    --
    Nitro-J-Rod

RC Competitor
    Lol very good. Thx. It gets very hot here and I run 20% fuel. The med will prob be the best then.

RC Qualifier
    Probably, 30% nitro runs the engine cooler. Consider switching. Counter intuitive but true. I run 30 in 100 degree weather with the lid on and do not over heat often. I drilled holes on my lid for more air flow.
    --
    Nitro-J-Rod

The Super Derecho

RC Qualifier
    People Eating Tasty Animals

Plug choice can also depend on what size engine it is. Small blocks like the 3.3 which is a .21 size and under generally run hotter plugs in the medium to hot range, where big block engines larger than .21 run colder plugs in the cold to medium range. I know my Savage 4.6 (.28 big block) runs cold plugs and they are a pain to tune and they flame out and stall at idle quite often if you run it just barely rich.

RC Competitor
    Sounds good. I'll prob get a few different ones to try out but sounds to me like a med-hot is what I need. It's already hitting 100 degrees outside so it will be interesting. Lol

RC Champion
    There are also long and short plugs. Traxxas engines use long plugs, as do the majority of engines.

When it comes to temperature range of the plug, you want to run as cold of a plug as you can tune. A hot plug makes for a stronger idle, and better off idle response. It is also less sensitive to a bad tune. A cold plug will make more overall power, but may make for a rough idle. It is a little more sensitive to a bad tune.

You can almost look at plug temp as adjusting the timing on a 1:1 engine. Advance the timing (hot plug), equals more low end power. Retard the timing (cold plug), equals more power overall. It comes down to finding the balance that gives you the most overall power.
    Believe 1/2 of what you see,and 0 of what you hear