RC Qualifier

Castle Creations CAPPACK

Well, I added this to my castle 3800 MMP setup amd it seems to add a bit of punch.
    I was suprised, give me your thoughts.

thanks Rob

Honestly I think your mind is playing tricks on you. My understanding is the cap pack aids the BEC and low voltage side of the ESC and has nothing to do with the high voltage side that feeds the motor.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Qualifier
    its not one that plugs into the receiver but one that is soldered between the battery and just before the ESC. Im sure it helps with voltage sage like a car audio cap does on an amp. Im doing a few runs later today, we ll see what happens. The 3800 is an amp hog for sure

No doubt the 3800 is a hog there have been data graphs posted proving that. Still the cap pack is intended to help the low voltage side of things when the high voltage side (motor) is hogging up all the juice.
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Champion
    I thought the castle cap pack was an ESC bank that went on the battery wires to smooth power delivery to the ESC, similar to what's on the XO-1's ESC.

I agree with dad, that extra punch you feel is probably the placebo effect. The MMP is more than capable of handling the full abilities of the 3800 motor without a cap pack.

Hmmm, unless his batteries aren't that good. Then, he might have extra punch for an instant off the line.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Jws1982 View Post

Hmmm, unless his batteries aren't that good. Then, he might have extra punch for an instant off the line.
    This is a definite possibility.

RC Qualifier
    6500 mah battery 65c plenty of battery, ill test this afternoon

I have the same cap bank with a different combo (mmp/2800kv) and Savox servo and didn't notice more power.

But it fixed my glitches and brownout problems.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Qualifier
    on and off response is better for sure. no faster but throttle response is almost instant. I have 40 and 65c batteries both 5000 mah and above.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1mzwinjs6m...2015.46.17.jpg

Its under the blue heat shrink

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Jws1982 View Post
    I thought the castle cap pack was an ESC bank that went on the battery wires to smooth power delivery to the ESC, similar to what's on the XO-1's ESC.

I agree with dad, that extra punch you feel is probably the placebo effect. The MMP is more than capable of handling the full abilities of the 3800 motor without a cap pack.

I wonder if it doesn't just do the same thing as shortening your battery leads?

Long battery leads are bad for ESCs... I'm certainly not an electrical engineer and hip to all the jargon but it has something to do with capacitance and voltage spikes IIRC.

Thats why I always try to keep my battery leads from esc to the connector around 2-3"... just enough to reach the battery with a tad bit of slack.

edit-- Just checked Castle's site and that seems to be basically what it is. It's meant to smooth out ripple voltage to from the battery to the ESC. Also read the Wiki page on 'Ripple Voltage'..... mind blown!
    Last edited by brandon555; 05-18-2014 at 04:19 PM.
    Rustler HW SC8/4600kv--Rustler HW SC8/3800kv--MERV

Seems I was a little off base in my initial assessment of this. Witht he cap pack being where it is it will effect the entire ESC not just the BEC. I think for it to show improvement from the high voltage side (the motor) this points to a deficiency in the battery to begin with. I know Role has posted impressive battery specs but the packs could be over rated or just worn out.
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Qualifier
    It a spc 3s lipo 6500 mah 65 c used maybe 15 times, the internal resistance of the pack is about 4 ohms per cell which is good. who knows give one a try and report back

Quote Originally Posted by Role View Post
    It a spc 3s lipo 6500 mah 65 c used maybe 15 times, the internal resistance of the pack is about 4 ohms per cell which is good. who knows give one a try and report back
    Well maybe I need to eat my words again LOL. SPC packs are very good quality and they dont fudge on their ratings IMO.
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Champion
    Does that cap pack have four 2200uf 50v caps on it?

A cap is going to have a faster discharge rate than even a good lipo. It makes sense that you'd notice more punchiness for a brief moment.

I'd love to see the how a brushless motor would perform on a super capacitor bank, like the ones people use in place of car batteries. Now that'd be some fast power delivery.

RC Qualifier
    it has 4 caps, I just ran my car and here is some info. esc was 99 degrees after 25 min run, gens ace 40 c lipo 3s 5000 mah, geared high 28/83 with sandpaws in the sand which are rather heavy, the motor was only 130 degrees after a run, my esc was noticable cooler check out my MMP ESC fan mod my esc is always cool

RC Champion
    I'd love to see some pics of the cap pack install.

RC Qualifier
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/1mzwinjs6m...2015.46.17.jpg

its under the blue shrink wrap, its the castle cappack

I doubt that a cap pack will be able to produce an amount of power where your motor can benefit from. Certainly not an amount that you will notice.
    When you use a SPC 6500mAh 3S 65C feeding a combo with the 3800 Castle motor, you will have more than enough juice available. I saw the 3800 consume peaks of 100A which is not a current that will give a SPC a hard time.
    Nobody is born with experience

RC Qualifier
    Reading thru this thread makes me think the op is experiencing a better connection between the rx and tx now the the rx is getting smoothe consistant power. Being more connected to the truck could give the feeling of having more punch. To the op, your not using a spektrum radio by anychance, are you?

Quote Originally Posted by Building Boost View Post
    Reading thru this thread makes me think the op is experiencing a better connection between the rx and tx now the the rx is getting smoothe consistant power. Being more connected to the truck could give the feeling of having more punch. To the op, your not using a spektrum radio by anychance, are you?
    Not sure which direction you are thinking, but how can punch be affected by a RX/TX combo and how would a cap pack influence that? You can connect a 10Ah 300C battery with a zillion cap packs to your ESC, but if the BEC is too weak, it could still influence the working of the RX.

RC Qualifier
    Im saying that having the truck respond quicker to tx inputs can give the feeling of having more punch.

The differance in radio gear between entry level stuff and race equiptment is more than you might think. My spektrum dsm rx/tx setup has noticable lag compared to when I drive a friends truck with a 4pks.
    Last edited by Building Boost; 05-19-2014 at 01:06 PM.

Spektrum DSM Tx/Rx being the cause of lag that you can notice sounds very weird to me. DSM latency spec: 5.6 ms. Even if you would bring that back to zero, I doubt that you will notice that.
    But let's wait for the OP to reply to be able to rule that out.