RC Qualifier

To tape or not to tape tires?

Got a set of cheap buggy wheels/tires for speed runs. They came unglued, should i tape them first or is the low profile enough to stop ballooning?

RC Qualifier
    Get some belted tires. They shouldnt have to come off.

RC Qualifier
    imo dont know that you need belted tires for a stampede. Thats a lot of money for a truck that pushing 70 is hard. Every set of cheap buggy tires I have ever bought came unglued at some point. As for taping thats really up to you if those tires seem to have a lot of flex in the tread area then it might not be a bad idea if your running high speeds or doing a lot of wheelies. If your just messing around I wouldn't bother unless your having a problem.

RC Qualifier
    Maybe i shouldve added more info, these are brand new they didnt come glued. I have 3.2 revolvers with 2.8 taped trenchers for bashing. I just got these for top speed runs, and wondering if i should bother taping them? I only paid 20 bucks shipped for all 4..

RC Qualifier
    then its worth a try if your going to do speed runs but your probably going to want to balance them if you do tape them.

how much flex does the tread have and do they have foam inserts. How fast you think your gonna get
    Last edited by cooleocool; 05-08-2014 at 08:47 AM. Reason: merge

RC Qualifier
    Tread is pretty stiff, theres foam. I'm expecting 70ish.

RC Qualifier
    hard to really say then i've never taped a tire with that low of a sidewall and if the tire is stiff might not want to add the rotating mass espically if you going thast fast and you arent sure you can distrubute the tape evnely wieght wise. I'd say leave them alone and if its not working pick up a set of xo1 tires if your going for that kind of speed.

sorry my typing sucks got to proof read better
    \
    Last edited by cooleocool; 05-08-2014 at 08:48 AM. Reason: merge

RC Qualifier
    Hey fls4 can you drift your p4de with those tires or are they to grippy?

RC Champion

To tape or not to tape tires?

I don't tape buggy, racing truggy, crawling, or short course tires. Everything else 1/10 and 1/8 scale usually gets a strip of gorilla tape inside, unless I know I won't be using them over 35-ish mph (like stock summit tires), or of they're belted.

I almost always put small holes in the tread of my offroad and racing tires for water to escape.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. humayrayakongkinaon's Avatar
    There's a seller from eBay (suprasales) selling buggy wheels/tires for cheap. I run them on 6s for short speed run and amazingly hold up although it ballooned alittle bit and rub under the body but if your running 4s all the time this tires can handle without a problem.
    | Rally GT8 Powered By CC | BackSl4sh Roadrunner |

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by humayrayakongkinaon View Post
    There's a seller from eBay (suprasales) selling buggy wheels/tires for cheap. I run them on 6s for short speed run and amazingly hold up although it ballooned alittle bit and rub under the body but if your running 4s all the time this tires can handle without a problem.
    Awesome! I'll only be running 4s max. I'm not expecting much with them being so cheap. Guess i'll find out tomorrow.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. humayrayakongkinaon's Avatar
    I have a set of XO-1 wheels/tires that I tried with my P4de on 4s
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVbzgcUESJs
    | Rally GT8 Powered By CC | BackSl4sh Roadrunner |

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by roscoeP View Post
    Hey fls4 can you drift your p4de with those tires or are they to grippy?
    It'll drift!

RC Qualifier
    Can you post a link to where you got them or give a description so i can google it? Been lookin for a cheap wheel tire combo i can do some driftin with on asphalt. Im considering a drift street car but i think i can make my p4de do it. I just need the right wheel tire setup.

RC Qualifier
    Lot 4 PCS 17mm Hub Wheel Rim & Tires HSP 1:8 Off-Road RC Car Buggy 180043 Black
    It's a lot of fun. They spin like crazy.

RC Qualifier
    Ok thanks for info. Looked it up on ebay. Next question any 17mm hub upgrade thats not $25 to $30? Tryin to do this reasonably priced although 17mm looks like money well spent for selection of rims one would have.

RC Champion
    It is money well spent. Go for it.

RC Qualifier
    Man, questions just lead to more questions. Have you guys done no offset 17mm hubs or has anyone done the hot racing offset hubs? Wider is better right? That's really been my only complaint about my p4de is that its top heavy or tires to grippy however you want to look at it. Offset cures that to some degree huh?

RC Champion
    To me, a little wider is better on a p4de. But, it sounds like your issues with top heaviness may be remedied by some sway bars. You can use the sway bars from the slash 4x4 on a p4de. You just need some of the shock eyelets to replace eyelet/screws on the sway bars. They would go on the bottom of the sway bar, in place of the plastic spacer on the arm guards.

RC Qualifier
    Ok thanks Jws1982, I will look into sway bars. I didnt even realize that was an option. I have them on another truck and that is nice and stable. Man, im gonna have to prioritize my upgrade parts list, its gettin pretty big. Im gonna order a few things and whittle it down a little. Sway bar kit is traxxas #6898 right?
    Last edited by roscoeP; 05-09-2014 at 10:35 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Jws1982 View Post
    To me, a little wider is better on a p4de. But, it sounds like your issues with top heaviness may be remedied by some sway bars. You can use the sway bars from the slash 4x4 on a p4de. You just need some of the shock eyelets to replace eyelet/screws on the sway bars. They would go on the bottom of the sway bar, in place of the plastic spacer on the arm guards.
    Got the sway bar and now i see what you mean by shock eyelets to replace eyelet screws. Would traxxas 2742 rod ends with balls work? Theyre cheap enough. I just put the sway bar with stock sway bar eyelet on in place of the plastic bushing but i dont like how the guard is only on with shock screw now. Thanks in advance.

RC Champion
    I believe 2742 will work fine, but it may be 5349. One of the ball ends is a little longer, but I can't remember which one is the right one, and I'm not home to check.

RC Qualifier
    Ok thanks jws1982. I'm watching them both on ebay. When you are home and have a minute take a look and let me know. I think they would both work.

RC Qualifier
    Welp, so much for these tires! They can't hold up to 4s. Had the sidewall tear and the foam flew out on one of the rears.