Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Competitor

Decided on the 4x4 VXL over the E-revo

I kept going back and forth with this.. I currently have a 1/8 Summit, and a 1/16 Summit. The issues is this..

My large Summit I use for FPV projects, and it's basically a "Rover" now. Pretty cool, and fun stuff. But, I really don't bash with this at all. I drive it slow, and at long ranges.

Anyway.. so, then I bought the 1/16 Summit for my speed fix. But, I have been having some issues with it, breaking servos, and gears etc.. but, more that it flips over ALL the time.. and it gets annoying. I wanted to get another RC that was perhaps a little more "durable" and perhaps more "reliable" i.e. simple.. so I was attracted to the Stampede. Then, after watching a lot of reviews.. I see that its actually a really popular truck!

I did also consider the E-Revo Brushless. But, I bet anything that I will have less issues with the Stampede and my fun factor would be about the same, if not even more with the 4x4 Stampede VXL. I like to drive at my local park, and there is all kinds of terrain. Pavement, woods, rocks, dirt, trails, grass, etc.. so, I figure the E-Revo was more about racing.. lower to the ground, and much larger etc.. and I don't know.. I kinda like the size of the Stampede better. It makes it less of an ordeal to just grab and go race.

To be completely honest.. I am having a B L A S T with the new LaTrax Teton I got last week! unreal fun, and I think with a brushless setup.. I would sell my 1/16 Summit! My 18 month old son also love to watch me drive the Teton around the house.. and it does very well outside. The size is just incredible!

Anyway.. I am looking forward to the Pede.. and I am hoping to run it with 2S. I was looking at possibly a large 10,000mAh pack for longer run times. I see Traxxas sells one for it. So, thats cool.

Please, Please tell me there is no silly stuff I need to mod right away like taking apart the diff, and putting in shims like I need to do on the Summit 1/16? LOL. This is the kinda thing I was hoping to avoid with the Stampede... and another reason I picked it over the E-Revo (it seems like a more simple setup = less to go wrong).

Thanks guys!

PS - Any thoughts on where I can find one in stock? Tower, and Horizon are out!

RC Qualifier
    Great choice for your bashing grounds. You will be grinning from ear to ear after driving the P4de. It is a great size, not to big, not to small, easy to wrench on and plenty of hop ups.

It is durable out of the box, but get the aluminum bearing adapter for the slipper clutch #6893x, and some aluminum shock caps. They are know to pop off. After that your rear drive shafts will be the next to go. Get some MIP or Tekno's when they break. And keep an eye on temps of the motor. Some fans for the esc and motor are a good idea if driving in hot weather. Other will chime in with their recommendations.

Most importantly have fun

Check out http://spcracingbatteries.com/ for some batteries. You could get 2 batteries with more mah for less than the 10000mah from traxxas. I'm sure that battery is huge and weighs alot and would require and expansion kit to hold it place.

http://www.rpphobby.com/Traxxas_Stam..._p/tra6708.htm
    dont forget to use "my25" for $25 off $350 or more "my30" for $30 off $550 or more. Love to shop here (more scale stuff). GREAT customer service and shipping!
    Last edited by Hirschowl; 05-06-2014 at 09:42 PM.
    The message above or below may or may not be true

RC Competitor
    wow that sounds great! Thanks so much!!

For sure, I will pick up the bearing adapter and the caps! The fans are a good idea. Do you know of a good one for the ESC and the motor too?

RC Qualifier
    The Traxxas one for the ESC, #3340 and either the hobbywing mega fan http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...a-heatsink-fan or the integy one. Both motor fans are pretty cheap and known to break. I have read people have better success with the integy one. I personally used the hobbywing and the fan broke twice. I just upgraded the motor and esc earlier about a month ago. Much better and no problem with temps. Temps only really become an issue when upgrade to make the P4de heavier and more rotating mass like wheels, tires and driveshafts or gearing up or running 3s. Leaving it in stock form on 2s it does pretty well. It wasn't long before I got the bug and put alot into it, thats when temps became an issue on 2s.

RC Champion
    well hirsch pretty much summed it all up lol.

RC Competitor
    One question..

I am looking at 2S lips (what I want to run).. and I want the longest runtimes.. so, I was looking at the Traxxas 10000 mAh pack. But, it looks pretty big. They say its for this truck, so it must fit. The question I have, is in regards to weight. Is it best to run this large pack.. and get a nice long run time.. or is it best to use two smaller packs (5800mAh) and change them out etc.. ?

i.e. will the extra weight of the larger batt. effect performance on the truck? Or.. maybe its a good thing?

Thanks guys!

RC Qualifier
    It's more cost effective to go with the single larger pack. As far as the added weight, just bashing around you'll notice very little change in dynamics.

If you can afford it, go with the larger lipo. There should be a battery bay expansion kit to use with it.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Champion
    Good choice! Like others have said you will want the aluminum bearing adapter and shock caps. You will also want the mip drive shafts. I also recommend the strc aluminum bellcrank since the stock one doesn't handle hits very well. Other than those parts my truck has been indestructable for the last 3 months!

One other cheap thing you can do is lower the body. It cost me about $5. I think it makes the truck look better but that is just an opinion.
    1:16 Slash VXL
    Stampede 4x4 3800kv
    Rustler VXL

RC Competitor
    Perfect! Yes, I will go with the larger 10000 2S pack! and your right I did find the larger battery holder on Buy Traxxas. So, thats cool!

Any guess on run times with 10,000mAh on 2S?

Another thing I was wondering...

It looks like the weakest point is under it, near the drive shaft. Is there any type of cover they sell that can protect this?

and I was also wondering, about some more rugged skid plates to protect the bottom? Maybe alum?
    Last edited by cooleocool; 05-07-2014 at 09:00 AM. Reason: merge

I will say that my Sl4sh seems to be more reliable than my eRevo. So you probably made a good choice.

RC Champion
    One more thing the body needs to be reinforced around the rear holes and with the lower body the wheelie bar will tear the tailgate if it's set at the highest setting

RC Competitor
    Any ideas where the best place is to order one from? I see it's out of stock at Tower, and Horizon.

RC Qualifier
    Amazon, if you have prime you can get it next day for like 10 bucks.

RC Competitor
    Amazon, if you have prime you can get it next day for like 10 bucks.
    I looked at that.. but, then there is no way to choose the color I wanted. Plus, all the pics I see in the description shows the older radio system too. :-(

Anywhere else?

RC Champion
    If you're just running 2s on the stock velineon system, then I don't think you'll need new driveshafts (unless you're flooring it while landing jumps). The bearing adapter, shock caps, and body reinforcement are definitely good immediate upgrades to do though.

I also choose to take the plastic center driveshaft cover out, and leave it out. I had rocks collect underneath it and tear up the driveshaft bad. I also experimented with putting soft foam and Velcro around the front center shaft opening. It helped, but now it's out and the cover just stays off.

The last thing I'll mention is that I believe the diff oil in the p4de is too light. I prefer heavier, as the truck is more geared toward rough terrain.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Suntiger View Post

Any guess on run times with 10,000mAh on 2S?
    My bashing buddy uses the 10,000mah 2S, generally gets 40 - 60 mins depending on how hard we're driving.

I would consider buying aluminum cooling fins for the motor if you plan to run that long. You can get them cheaply from the internet with a fan. The fans don't last long and I think the fins are more important anyway.

RC Champion
    I would call tower and see when it will be in. Says mid May. Then use a coupon code. would be about $460. Plus offering a $20 GC. Though what ever happened to the model that came with a lipo, or the one without any battery?
    I agree with Jws1982, the bearing adapter, shock caps, and body reinforcement are good upgrades.
    MT Slash VXL
    Stampede VXL
    Stampede 4x4

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Suntiger View Post
    It looks like the weakest point is under it, near the drive shaft. Is there any type of cover they sell that can protect this?
    T-bone racing sells a skid plate to cover that whole servo/shaft opening. I have a clear one and I think it does a fine job of protecting things and keeping a lot of debris out of the drive line.
    p4de
    LaTrax Rally
    Stampede 2x4
    T-Maxx 2.5

RC Competitor
    Okay, I called my LHS.. and they have one left in stock. (blue). I wanted the black one.. but, I found a black body shell on E-bay for $32.. and bought that one. So, I will have a spare.. on my way now to pick it up.. pretty excited!

T-bone racing sells a skid plate to cover that whole servo/shaft opening
    Just ordered that! Looks good! Looks like it must come with some longer screws for it too?
    Last edited by cooleocool; 05-08-2014 at 08:45 AM. Reason: merge

RC poster
    I ordered mine from Amazon a couple months ago. definitely comes with the newest radio, etc. must be an old photo. only thing was not getting to pick the color but wasn't that big a deal to me. I signed up for the amazon CC to get the $60 off, then changed the payment type to my bank CC to get the cash back, haha. since I have prime with the free shipping it turned into a good deal.

I've run it almost everyday on 2s and I've broken a front a-arm (replaced with RPM), a rear shock shaft (replaced with ti), and a drive shaft coupler. that's it. biggest issue is really just the flimsy body and reinforcing that.

RC Qualifier
    I have a 8000mah venom 2s lipo it was 1 pound about 1 hr 20 mins run time but it weighs it down a lot I put my friends 5000mah in and it's a size able different in performance my battery feels more sluggish that's why I bought a 6500

RC Competitor
    Well, I was in very good luck.. and when I showed up to the LHS.. they actually JUST were unloading the truck with some new Stampedes! wow.. I got to pick any color!

here she is!

Also, I got the 2S 10000mAh pack.. and will use that for now. I also ordered some other goodies that I could not resist.. I bought the Proline pre painted RED F150 body "raptor", and some mounted badlands. I also got the mods listed and recommend above.. and should be here early next week. In the mean time I will break it in with the included pack, and be soft on it for now. LOL.

With out even running it.. I can tell I made the right choice vs. the E-Revo! This truck is very classy, and very well put together. It's simple.. and I really love the whole thing. The size is just perfect for what I was looking for as well! Can;t wait to try it tomorrow!

My first mod...

Last edited by cooleocool; 05-08-2014 at 08:46 AM. Reason: merge

Welcome to the stampede 4x4 forum and family dude you will love the truck it's a sick monster truck very durable after a few mods.......peace...ps awesome colour that's the one I went for over 3 years ago
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

RC Competitor
    Hey guys! So being excited, I decided to carefully drive the truck around on the grass with the stock 7 cell pack that came with the truck. I charged it at 3A and it returned about 1300mAh into it. So I figured it had some charge from the box as it is a 3000mAh pack. Anyway, it was dead in less then 7min of running. Lol.

I have my 2s but I'm waiting on the expanded battery tray before I can use it.

Was that normal performace from a stock pack?

RC Qualifier
    That's normal for a nimh and I warn u that big battery will make it sluggish I know from experience !

RC Competitor
    That's normal for a nimh and I warn u that big battery will make it sluggish I know from experience !
    Right on.. yeah, if I find the pack to be too much.. I will need to buy some smaller packs, and go from there.

Let me ask you..

I wanted to lower the body down a bit.. and I tired to use a dermal to lower the stock posts.. (nightmare).. and I bet there is a better way, or is there an aftermarket part for this?

Also, I had a few general observations and wanted to ask...

- I see that the center drive line (blue drive shaft).. there is a ton of back and forth play. i.e. it moves along the length of the truck. I assume this is normal, as it seems like it must be that way for a reason?

- Regarding the fan / heat sink for the motor... Will the one with the fan really make that much difference.. or would just a nice heat sink work just as well?

- I bought some Proline Badlands, mounted to some proline wheels. (looks really nice, and scale like). The tires stand slightly taller then the stock ones (they are 2.8 in size) but, are a fair bit "thinner" vs. the wider stance of the stock tires. What general performance difference can I expect from this? (both positive or negative). I also see that the tires are much more sticky then the stock, and are "softer"..

Thanks guys!

Here it is now..

RC Qualifier
    Sound get good performance from those tires way better than stock, they have lower body mounts and I just got a spc 65C 6500mah tons of more power compared to my 8000mah. I use a castle motor fan and traxxas esc fan it's about a 20 degree difference compared to no fans also the play in driveshaft is normal

RC Competitor
    Sound get good performance from those tires way better than stock, they have lower body mounts and I just got a spc 65C 6500mah tons of more power compared to my 8000mah. I use a castle motor fan and traxxas esc fan it's about a 20 degree difference compared to no fans also the play in driveshaft is normal
    Sounds great!

I ordered the Traxxas ESC fan.. so that should be here soon. Do you know.. is it water proof?

Also, which Castle Fan are you using?

Would you be able to paste in a link for the fan, and the lower body mounts? I can't seem to find it anywhere.

RC Champion
    all i did to lower it was take the post off and then put the 3mm screw back in with a nut on top. it works fine in the front but the rear needs to be reinforced or the holes will get worn out. oh yeah and then i use velcron to hold the body onto the chassis, it stays on good unless i hit something or flip, then i just need to readjust it. the fan isnt WP.

CC fan
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Castle-Creat...item2a3c16013f
    Last edited by skmfkr; 05-08-2014 at 07:33 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Jconcepts makes lowered body posts. At 20 bucks, theyre way over priced. But, theyre high quality plastic plus you only have to screw them on.

RC Competitor
    I found this...

http://www.thetoyz.com/Traxxas/Slash...oncepts/15194/

Would this work okay?

Also, I found this for the fan?

http://www.thetoyz.com/search3.lasso?keyword=8534

RC Champion
    id prob get this one
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/N10026-Alumi...-/310934373445

i have this on my p4de, but it needs to be cut to fit
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/HOBBYWING-EZ...item4d1674a1b2

i have this one on my rustler, but the wiring makes no sense. i had to take the extra wire and cut the connectors so i could plug the male wire into my rec. i have no idea what the point of their wiring was. it made absolutely no sense
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hot-Racing-2...item2a3c8bb601

RC Competitor
    Nice find!

Something else.. and this is 100% just for a specific "look" I was going for..

I wanted to find some sporty white wheels, that I can mount some Proline tires on. For the wheels, I was looking at this (as an example of the style I am looking for)..

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXCXSS&P=7

and then, the tires would be: http://prolineracing.com/tires/badla...n-truck-tires/

Now, I have absolutely no experience with this at all. and me trying to figure out wheel size, and tire size etc.. is this the right size for the Stampede? and will this combo work?

RC Qualifier
    Get any wheels you'd like and a can of white plastidip.

Only 2.2 wheels i know of that fit are the wide offset rpm revolvers

RC Qualifier
    You would need hex extenders for clearance up front (I think) . Need 2.8" How bout these..http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXBYNW&P=7. You could also mount the badlands to them... They do fit the front and rear, read tech notes

I rit dyed these red and mounted up the proline streetfighters for speed runs...

You could dye them any color you want, or just keep the white
    Last edited by Hirschowl; 05-08-2014 at 09:48 PM.

RC Competitor
    Okay, ill take a look at some different options. First I will need to play with the badlands, and see how I like 'em for my type of driving etc. vs. the stock tires.

I also wanted to ask. How often are most of you using water to spray down the truck after a run? Lets say it's just dirt, woods, trails, etc.. (no mud).. is it advisable to use a hose to rinse it off, dry well.. and then lube?

Or, are most of you only using air?

I watched Janes (spelling) video from Ultimate RC on cleaning.. and wow.. that was pretty extreme.. so, whats the balance that most of you do to keep the truck in new condition most of the time etc?

RC Qualifier
    I avoid water while running my rc's and wont hose it of either. Therefore I just use compressed air to clean off the dust and debris. For the stuck on dirt, I like to use and old paint brush and an old toothbrush. I use some Simple Green on the body and tires and wheels to clean them up.

I don't lube after every run, but when doing major maintenance and fixing, I will lube what needs to be lubed. But nothing is stopping you from lubing everytime, but its a bit overkill IMO.

RC Qualifier
    I avoid water for the most part too. Hirshowl what specific parts do you lube occasionally and what do you lube them with? I figure i should be doing some lubing at some point.