RC Racer

Tenshock 3400kv nowhere to be found!

I ordered a wp sc8 hobbywing esc and was going to use a tenshock 3400 kv motor with it to run 2s and 3s. More realistically 3s cuz faster is funner, but for the life of me everywhere I find one they are out of stock of the motor so what other motor should I look for to run with my sc8 Esc. I will be running 3s more than 2s unless I am driving with my dad because he doesn't want to go 3s fast in his slash. If I look into some lower kv motor which some ppl say are slugs on 2s does this mean they are slower than a stock vxl system running 2s?

RC Qualifier
    I would use the losi 2800kv motor. Sounds like it would be a good fit

I too have just looked for you and cant find the 3400kv any where dude but you could get the 3800kv and dont have to gear it so high that will run 2s and 3s ask ramflames he is using the same setup and he only runs 3s or you could use the losi but it would be slow on 2s even with higher gearing dude......peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by spenniepoos View Post
    I too have just looked for you and cant find the 3400kv any where dude but you could get the 3800kv and dont have to gear it so high that will run 2s and 3s ask ramflames he is using the same setup and he only runs 3s or you could use the losi but it would be slow on 2s even with higher gearing dude......peace
    Should I wait till the 3400kv is back in stock do you think what do you think I would be happiest in the long run?

RC Qualifier
    i saw the 3500kv on ebay, but its like $90

RC Racer
    I think the 3500 is sensored the sc8 esc I ordered can only run sensor less

RC Qualifier
    The CC 2400kv is great on 3s with no issue dealing with high temps geared 17/54. On 2s motor doesn't even get warm. Running 3s in my area, I cant really get up to full speed, so running 2s isn't really that bad. I can still wheelie and do donuts and have fun. If your in an open area allowing more time to get up to full speed, like a ball field or parking lot, don't go 2400kv, it will be a bore on 2s, but maybe ok for running with your old man. I like the option to run 3s comfortably, for me, (or maybe 4s at some point) with the 2400kv and not have to worry so much about temps...
    The message above or below may or may not be true

RC Competitor
    I would wait for one to come back in stock. You should have got the sc8 and tenshock combo, there are still a few of them on ebay and amazon.

RC Qualifier
    I have a Tenshock 3800KV, With HW WP SC8 120a ESC. Geared 12/56. I run 3S all day long. With a home made motor heat sink with a Traxxas VXL cooling fan. The other day it was 65 degrees out. In grass, dirt and pavement high speed runs, my temps were at it's highest. 125 degrees. This is with Proline Trencher tires. Warning! You will strip the wheel hexs with my set up. I just made the switch to 17mm wheels. I have not driven it yet, so no results yet.
    Just Bash it!
    4x4 Pede
    Two 2wd Pede

RC Racer
    Is the cc 2400lv setup slower on 2s than the vxl system on 2s?

Quote Originally Posted by Shift4life View Post
    Is the cc 2400lv setup slower on 2s than the vxl system on 2s?
    With the same gearing: yes. It has quite a bunch more power tho, so you can gear it way more heavy than the VXL combo.
    Nobody is born with experience

RC Qualifier
    It's all in the gearing. I only run 3s. 2400kv motor with 20t gearing. It's an absolute beast. 2s is for the birds. Lol. Once I ran 3s, there was no looking back.

RC Racer
    Seems like my only option other than going up in kv is the castle 2400kv. will that run good with my sc8 ,and also question abouty batteries I'll be running with it. I have a 3s 5000 mah 25c battery my 2s batts are 5000 mah 30c. will these run good with this setup or will I need batteries with higher discharge rates?

I found a castle 1415 2400kv on eBay for 97 bucks
    Last edited by cooleocool; 05-08-2014 at 08:47 AM. Reason: merge

RC Qualifier
    If your not racing its not a problem. I run onyx 5000mah 3s 25c all the time get about 40 minutes of run time and have a blast. pair your 2s for 4s and hold on to your hat the smile might knock it right off. and if you need a 2400 I've got a few laying around if your in a bind pm we'll get you straightened out.

The Traxxas Funny car motor is the same one as the Castle 1415. That can often be found much cheaper.

The 1415 can consume peak currents of well over 100A, so a battery with a higher discharge ratio would be best.

For that money I would get the leopard 4065 2700kv 4 pole which is 3-5s rated and have a ball dude......peace

RC Qualifier
    How much is that leopard you can get the funny car motor for 70 or less shipped on flea bay and its a castle motor with outstanding ratings

Quote Originally Posted by madscrapper85 View Post
    How much is that leopard you can get the funny car motor for 70 or less shipped on flea bay and its a castle motor with outstanding ratings
    Around $70 too. Both good choices.

Yeah I want that leopard in my pede by Christmas and keep my tenshock of another project.....peace

RC Racer
    Now I'm not sure what to get I really wish that tenshock was available somewhere that was sorta a goo middle of the road looking motor! Are both the castle and the leapord going to be able to get wet?

I am just weary of what customer service will be like ordering a leapord motor seeing it's would be coming from like Hong Kong. If I feel like I have any problems I feel I will just be out money
    Last edited by cooleocool; 05-09-2014 at 11:34 AM. Reason: merge

RC Qualifier
    Yes the castle motor can get wet its the esc's that need to be waterproof

RC Racer
    Has anyone bought anything from helical.com I think I might just try the leopard 2700kv it would be interesting to see how it works and eveything I have read is good

I got a leapord 2700kv off amazon it's on it's way I'll have to call my lhs see of they carry pinion a for 5mm shaft does anyone know what pitch I need and have an idea of what gearing is a good start?
    Last edited by cooleocool; 05-09-2014 at 11:34 AM. Reason: merge

RC Competitor
    you will want a 5mm, and most likely a 32 pitch.

the leapoard motors are supposed to be pretty good too.

RC Racer
    Yea I figured try something a little different I like that it is slightly higher kv than the castle motor excited to see how it works out so I'll call my lhs see if they stock 5mm pinions in that pitch

RC Qualifier
    Start with an 11 tooth pinion if running a stock 54 tooth spur. I'm running a 3800kv Tenshock SC401 with 12/56 gearing. The other day the motor was 126 Degrees on a high 60 degree day. That is with a Homemade heatsink with a Traxxas VXL ESC cooling fan on my motor. My Hobbywing WP SC8 120amp ESC with factory cooling fan was 119 Degrees. I run A Onxy 3S 25c Lipo.
    Just Bash it!
    4x4 Pede
    Two 2wd Pede

RC Racer
    Yes I will be running the stock spur gear hope it doesn't take long to get to me I got king heads mounts on the way for the pede and my slash lcg things are spendy but wanted to just do it right the first time!