RC Qualifier

Stearing horn rubs on driveshaft?

Flipped my pede yesterday, and as I was picking it up, I noticed all the blue paint was worn off of the driveshaft in 1 spot. Winds up being that its rubing against the stearing horn during turns.

Has anybody else encountered this? perhaps I need to adjust the endpoint a bit...or is something installed wrong?

RC Qualifier
    I guess everybody with a P4de (or Slash 4x4 HCG) have seen the same. You could call it a design flaw, but it is possible to reduce the rubbing almost entirely with some adjustments.
    The easy way is to reduce servo travel by setting the endpoints (explained in the manual), but then you'll loose some steering. Check this link for some help doing adjustments:
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...-on-Driveshaft

At the end you may have to set the servo endpoints to avoid the last minor rubbing, but this way you'll still keep most of the steering travel.
    It's just a little time consuming, but in the end you've gained a lot of insight in the P4de steering components.
    Good luck!

RC Racer
    Yup viking is right, happened to me too, I just noticed the other day that the steering horn is actually worn out a lot, there's a pretty big chunk missing on mine... I set the endpoints so it should be good now

RC Champion
    I don't have this problem. I haven't made any adjustments other than steering end points. I only did that to save my servo. The tires can just barely touch the shock guards when turned all the way. Maybe my servo horn is in a slightly different spot too.
    My servo is slightly smaller than stock.
    I do have some slight rubbing on the chassis on the bellcrank side though. I'm guessing this is also common?
    1:16 Slash VXL
    Stampede 4x4 3800kv
    Rustler VXL

RC Qualifier
    Jimdog: You're right - it's common for the stock servo arm to hit the chassis at full steering lock to the right. You have a STRC steering bellcrank, and if you compare the bellcrank arm with the stock plastic bellcrank arm you'll find that they don't have the same angle. If my memory serves me right, the STRC arm is angled more to the outside of the chassis keeping it further away from the center driveshaft. Also, STRC has "shaved off" the edge on the arm closest to the center shaft to avoid contact.
    I like my steering links to have exactly the same lengths left and right, so even with the STRC bellcrank I had to limit the servo travel. But hitting the center shaft is not the problem with the STRC bellcrank - it's hitting the bulkhead "arm" turning left. In my experience, this means that the STRC bellcrank/servo saver will give you a larger turning radius than the stock bellcrank unless you move the steering links to the inner holes on the steering blocks.

Generally speaking, on a hobby grade rc there will always be adjustments to be made, even though it's supposed to be a RTR. But, having mechanical limitations to full servo throw is a very bad thing - it puts a lot of stress on the servo and increase the chance of stripping gears.
    The easy fix is to limit servo travel by setting the endpoints left and right. This will increse the turning radius of the truck (unless you move the steering links to the inner holes on the steering blocks), but imo that's a small price to pay for saving the servo.
    Btw. using the inner holes on the steering blocks makes it harder for the servo to turn the wheels. I recommend getting a stronger, metal geared servo for this setup (especially with the STRC bellcrank which has a "harder" servo saver than stock).

RC Champion
    I just put the strc bellcrank in 2 days ago. And never had a problem with rubbing. I still don't that I know of.
    1:16 Slash VXL
    Stampede 4x4 3800kv
    Rustler VXL

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimdog View Post
    I just put the strc bellcrank in 2 days ago. And never had a problem with rubbing. I still don't that I know of.
    But maybe you didn't reset your steering to full servo throw when you installed the STRC bellcrank. If you kept the endpoints set with the stock bellcrank, then I can see why you didn't get rubbing issues with the STRC.
    Anyhow, that's not really important at all - the main thing is that we both found our steering sweetspot!

The STRC bellcrank is a very nicely machined item. The only thing I don't like about it is that we have to reuse the spring from the stock servo saver. I found the spring to be a little too stiff, and had to compress it a little in a vice to get it just right for the STRC servo saver.

RC Enthusiast
    [IMG][/IMG]

Thats what I did. I had a plastic one strip too so I solved 2 problems for 8.00