RC Champion

Played with torque limiting today

Wow what a big difference.I have the torque limiting set at 10.1 and punch control at 70%.
    I can roost like no tomorrow and wheelies great. 20t pinion and 68 spur. Temp on motor was 123.7* and esc 80.3* via Durtrax flash point temp gauge. did not check lipos but they were cool to the touch.

RC Champion
    To much power^^^.So i call castle to see what they had to say.They said to disable the punch and use torque limiting. Much better than punch control IMO.
    Now i have the Torque set at 7. World of difference.Temps were almost the same as above. Going to check speed later this noon via Telemetry.

RC Champion
    Here is the instruction.To set Torque Limiting. Easy to do just take a little time.
    1 Make sure esc switch is of.
    2 Unplug battery
    3 Connect Castle link to esc
    4 Open software
    5 Turn on the motor test in Castle Link software
    6 Update settings.The torque limiting # you want to try.
    7 Close software
    8 Unplug castle link
    9 Move or remove pinion gear so motor can spin freely without engaging spur.(I just loosened the motor screws slid motor up and tighten them.)
    10 Plug in the receiver
    11 Plug in battery
    12 Turn on controller
    13 Turn on the ESC
    14 Wait for ESC to start up and give the lights that indicate test mode is ready
    If you get normal start up tones and then only a single YELLOW light and the motor run normally rather
    than step 15 you did something wrong start over.
    15 Hold full throttle until motor stops.(about 3 seconds)
    16 Turn off the esc switch
    17 Unplug battery
    18 Unplug receiver and plug in the castle link
    19 Start up software
    20 You should see something saying motor test worked.
    21 If you use the feature for printing the settings you will see your motor kv on the print out. Divide by two if you have a four pole motor.Then you will have your KV test results.

My KV motor test read 4422. Divide by 2 and my kv was 2,221
    Last edited by snowfighter; 05-06-2014 at 12:50 PM.

RC Competitor
    Thanks for the info bro. Is the mmm 2200 a 2 or 4 pole motor?

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    Nice info my bro!! I've never really messed with the settings much other than LVC on my ESCs. I might have to tweak em a little to see how much the effect. Do you have a Y-harness attached to your ESC/ Rx so you dont have to bust in your Rx case? I have it on most of my models and it makes it much easier.

@ BuGgY,,,,,, the Castle 2200kv (1500 series) is a 4-pole motor.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Champion
    Digger i do have a y-harness makes thing a lot easier.
    Any time BugGY. I find it works a lot better than punch control.Castle support says to disable punch control when using the Torque Limiting.
    It is worth the 20 min to do. Well depends how many time u change your torque limit #
    Castle support told me to start out with 6 then i tried 6.5 and settled for 7 Took about hr total between road testing and starting the whole process again. Worth the time and effort yes IMO. Not so violent on take offs vs punch control. Easier on drive train and still beable to pull wheelie

RC Champion
    Yeah I have lowered my punch even at 50% on my 2wd pede MMP. half the things I do no remember but at one point it refused to work, I think because of the BEC voltage I changed.
    Changed and tested so many things and loves the link......still cannot figure out how to use the linear curves etc though,
    I really like the fact that I do not wheelie so much (not a big fan on wheeling) and yet able to have a huge speed run without problems, it still wheelies but not as much as before.
    Last edited by Jezza; 05-06-2014 at 03:36 PM.
    Live life to the fullest

RC Champion
    Jezza. You just click on a spot and move it around. If you move the throttle or brake to what ever % you have your curve at Say you move the line to the middle to 80% you will have 80% of throttle or braking.Almost like a mid range punch then level out to top end well that if you do not move the line at the top. So where ever you move the line u can have more or les braking or throttle response. As far as i understand it. I got mine throttle set at 70% in the middle so when i pull the trigger i have a good hit of power in the mid range or so.
    I do have Summit axles on mine.Stronger than stock ones.
    Last edited by snowfighter; 05-06-2014 at 04:44 PM.

RC Competitor
    Hey snowfighter, I have been saving to do these hybrids from flm but I have seen some using a "spool" in the diff, what is this doing and what are the pros n con's if you or any Ody else knows. Thanks

RC Champion
    BuGg. Spool will lock up your diffs. Pros and cons everybody has there own opinion.
    I would not put a spool in my maxx i like the limited slip thing.I would think a spooled diff would snap axles on real high traction surfaces . Maybe someone who has a spooled diff will chim in. Google it you find ton of info on Spooled E-Maxxs Hope that helped you.
    Last edited by snowfighter; 05-06-2014 at 07:44 PM.