RC Racer

Looking to upgrade Esc motor combo

I sold one of my dirtbikes and have some money to spend I have a slash and a pede 4x4 both stock valeneon systems. I like to run my 3s batt in my pede mainly, but the heat issues are annoying I want to upgrade so I can run my 2s and not be a slug on 2s, and be able to safely bash with my 3s and I want to keep it waterproof too does anyone have suggestions or know what I am looking for. I am new to brushless and from what I have read some motors will run good on 3s but then be slow on 2s.

RC Qualifier
    hobbywing wp sc8, and castle 1410 3800kv. Sounds like the perfect combo.

RC Racer
    And that will run good on 2s and handle 3s with out heat problems?

RC Qualifier
    3s on the 3800 will have some heat issues depending on gearing. I'd go with the 2400 motor instead. It runs so cool. I'm geared 20/54 and motor was at 116* after a full 3s batt through tall grass and speed runs.

RC Qualifier
    2s ok with temps unless you gear high, 3s gear lower and pay close attention to temps. Might take a couple of runs to find the pinion that works best for you...

I just ran the 2400kv on 2s in my backyard the other day while my 3s charged. Backyard is a decent size but doesn't really allow for "major" speed, and found it to be almost as fun as 3s in a smaller area. After draining the charge from a 5000mah SPC battery, the motor wasn't even warm. Thats geared 17/54. Now, 3s is way, way, WAY more fun and still no issue with temps.
    Last edited by Hirschowl; 05-03-2014 at 10:32 PM.
    The message above or below may or may not be true

I wont recommend hobby wing to anyone but you can't go wrong with castle tho 3s will get the 3800kv hot, not as hot as the velineon but warm quick.
    For 80% 2s I would agree 3800kv but as I stated not a fan of hobby wing.
    The castle 2400 loves 3s but is a dog on 2s.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

RC Racer
    It would be less than 80% 2s I'm addicted to running 3s it's just so fun but I hate how hot it gets I run a fan on both motor if I had to choose I think I would want to be able I run 3s more than 2s if it came down to it

RC Racer
    i just got the sc8 and a tenshock 3400kv. haven't got it installed yet, but it should be great on 2 and 3s both and temps shouldn't be too much of a problem,

RC Champion
    when i get around to getting a new combo. im prob gonna go with the mmp and 2400kv. i like the price of the traxxas et3s and 2400, but i dont want to be limited to 3s.

RC Qualifier

Rebranded mmp.. still works fine with castle link

RC Champion
    thats another good option. im still not sure if i wanna get that one on the mmp. i think the losi is 4s max where the mmp is 6s max. idk if i will ever try 6s, but having the option to do so would be nice. i also kinda like the higher kv of the losi motor. oh yeah and the blue instead of green. the losi esc already has a better connector, but it can jsut be cut off and the you add a traxxas plug right?

Quote Originally Posted by skmfkr View Post
    thats another good option. im still not sure if i wanna get that one on the mmp. i think the losi is 4s max where the mmp is 6s max. idk if i will ever try 6s, but having the option to do so would be nice. i also kinda like the higher kv of the losi motor. oh yeah and the blue instead of green. the losi esc already has a better connector, but it can jsut be cut off and the you add a traxxas plug right?
    The mmp may carry a 6s rating but you'll never be able to run more the 4s in your pede, its just to heavy.
    I tried 5s in my 2wd, one run down the street and is was done, even 4s will get it warm in these heavy vehicles.
    The re-branded losi is a fine unit but I'm uncertain as to castle warranting it as one of theirs, might be better to stick to one with a castle sticker(no pun intended).
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

RC Qualifier
    The losi is still good for 6s. I tear them apart and waterproof them anyways so i'm not worried about warranty, i have the losi in my slash and the mmp in my pede identical esc's except for the stickers..

RC Racer
    The 1415 MMP combo is awesome Ive run a 3S 6400mah bat and Ive used every pinion from 17-22 tooth. The 22 reached 179 degrees but I never saw over 146 with the 21 tooth. This truck has been pushed all the way to 70 mph. But I consistently can reach 66 mph. When I was using the 17 I was topping out at 46mph. The 1415 is the way to go on 3 or 4S. I skipped 2S because I wanted higher voltage. I hear the 1410 is great but if you run 3S you will be limited. I was in the same situation as you a few months ago and selected the 1415 because I want to be able to run the larger pinions on 3S. This motor handles them and stays cool. The mod to the chasis takes 5 minutes and its worth it.

If you're going to run 2s and 3s you could go for the castle mmp or hobbywing sc8 with the tenshock 3400kv or if you want to run even higher cells in the future get the 2400kv or the leopard 4065 2700kv all of these will run circles around the vxl system with temps,speed and torque dude.......peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by spenniepoos View Post
    If you're going to run 2s and 3s you could go for the castle mmp or hobbywing sc8 with the tenshock 3400kv or if you want to run even higher cells in the future get the 2400kv or the leopard 4065 2700kv all of these will run circles around the vxl system with temps,speed and torque dude.......peace
    Man u should be a spokesman for tenshock lol

I like to rave about what works or stuff that goes past your expectations thats why I love traxxas,mip,proline,hobbywing just to name a few of the brands that rock.....peace

RC Racer
    Is the 1415 mmp waterproof?

RC Champion

Looking to upgrade Esc motor combo

The MMP isn't waterproof, but there are ways to make it so. I use the corrosion x method. It's worked great so far. I still make sure to clean it and dry it well though.

Another way would be to cover the MMP case with liquid tape or plastidip, but that can insulate it and keep heat in.

RC Qualifier
    I like to rave about what works or stuff that goes past your expectations thats why I love traxxas,mip,proline,hobbywing just to name a few of the brands that rock.....peace
    U make me want them lol

RC Racer
    I looked at that hobbwing wp sc8 esc it seems nice and waterproof. I are the reliable and how are they with heat also I like the price

RC Racer
    Can u run a bigger speed control like some of 1/8 scale castle ones. they are waterproof to. That sidewinder 8 and the mamba monster 2 or would they not be good

RC Champion
    yeah you can. some ppl on here have done it.

RC Qualifier
    Im running 1/8th scale mamba monster 2 with castle 1410 3800kv 1/10th scale motor on my stampede 4x4. All you need is 6.5mm metal bullet connectors and solder them to the motor.

<P4de VXL|Castle 3800kv|MM2|MIP|STRC|Proline|SPC>

RC Racer
    That's a sick setup man and I think I might be leaning towards the hobbywing wp sc8 lot of great reviews runs up to 4s is waterproof and it is way cheaper

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Shift4life View Post
    That's a sick setup man and I think I might be leaning towards the hobbywing wp sc8 lot of great reviews runs up to 4s is waterproof and it is way cheaper
    Thanks bro, not bragging but it is a beast hahaha. Yes hobbywing and tenshock motor is a great reliable set up and wallet friendly. I got this cause I got a great deal from a member here. If not i would of went same route as you.

RC Racer
    I bet so I ordered the hobby wing esc what tenshock motor should I order that will run good on 2s and 3s the 3400kv?

RC Qualifier
    Sound like a great choice for 2s and 3s. Gonna be beast bro

RC Racer
    the sc8 and the tenshock 3400 is what I just went with.

I have a whole thread on here talking about what combo to go with, after alot of discussion, and recomendations from some good guys on here, I chose that combo to run 2s and 3s both.

i'll give you a heads up, order some 4mm or 5.5 bullets at the same stime, mine only came with 3 bullets, female side, for the sc8. I think they are 4mm, but I just ordered a bunch of 5.5mm connectors, might do all my lipos and everything to one standard connector.
    Last edited by morehousej; 05-05-2014 at 06:59 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Don't forget some MIP x-duty shafts (my recommendation) if don't have any upgraded ones

RC Racer
    I am running tekno driveshafts where did you order your tenshock motor from? I ordered the esc from Amazon and for the bullet connectors would my lhs most likely stock those or do I have to order them

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Shift4life View Post
    I am running tekno driveshafts where did you order your tenshock motor from? I ordered the esc from Amazon and for the bullet connectors would my lhs most likely stock those or do I have to order them
    Most likely yes but as always if you have a long drive... call the shop.
    ERBE, LaTrax Rally, E Jato, and Spartan

RC Racer
    i bought mine as a combo on ebay. motor and esc, you can find the motor alone on ebay too, another good one is a leopard motor too. but I can't remember if they had a 3400 or not.

your lhs may have the connectors, not sure, mine doesn't they are more into trains and nitro powerd stuff, and plastic modles. so I just ordered a ton of them on ebay.

I got mine from funshobby and they were great to deal with and it only took about a 5-7 days to get to the uk and I used castle 4mm connectors and its almost 2 years old and still blows in away when running 3s.......peace

RC Competitor
    I got my HW and Tenshock combo from funshobby just like spennie, but it took a bit longer, maybe 2 weeks to get to the US. I got my 4mm conectors from eBay as well, I just made sure they were the long ones instead of the short kind. The long ones hold together better.
    MERV
    p4de
    LaTrax Rally
    Stampede 2x4
    T-Maxx 2.5

RC Racer
    What temps are you guys getting running 3s with the 3400kv tenshock motor and the sc8?

I am running the sensored version hobbywing sct pro esc 120a and the tenshock sc411 3500kv 4 pole with 15t pinion and 54t spur and with 3s the highest temps so far have been 155-165f hope that helps dude......peace

RC Qualifier
    my temps with Castle 1410 3800kv, 13/54 gearing on 2s was 154F on a 85-86F sunny day. Havent had a chance to test the temps on 3s since my son lost my temp gun Lol.

Note: no heatsink on motor at the time, i now have a clip on heatsink, strc motor plate and trans mount, I sure am anxious to compare temps haha

RC Racer
    I am running the sensored version hobbywing sct pro esc 120a and the tenshock sc411 3500kv 4 pole with 15t pinion and 54t spur and with 3s the highest temps so far have been 155-165f hope that helps dude......peace
    So theoretically I could be running around same temps or lower with that gearing since if I get the 3400 it would be a lower kv correct me if I am wrong. And on 2s would it be just as fast as the vxl system on 2s or significantly faster?