RC poster

AVC gyro works great

I have installed a Spetktrum AVC gyro receiver in my Funny Car, and it is now a dream to drive at full power.

I had previously put AVC in my RJSpeed top fuel dragster and it ended all spinouts, reduced my e.t.'s, and increased my MPH's. The dragster was powered by a Castle Creations Sidewinder 3, with a computer programming card.

On the Funny Car, to start with, the new AVC receiver did not talk to the Funny Cars ESC (ET-3s). In the typical super customer telephone support at Traxxas, I was told me that the Funny Car's ESC talks to the Castle Creations computer programming card and to change the auto-bind button from enabled to disabled. It was as simple as that. Now it runs great.

As a side comment, after two years, I am still having a blast with my DTS-1 system, tweaking and testing settings on all of my RC cars. Accolades to Traxxas.

RC Champion
    Glad to hear that the gyro worked out well. I use them on my 2wd Slash's with great success.

My son-in-law and I are going to the school parking lot tomorrow for some fun with our Traxxas funny cars and I have a gyro I think I will install and test with prior to tomorrows fun. (But not tell him I have one installed) Ha ha!!
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC Enthusiast
    I put the AVC in mine due to never got it going straight! It now goes straight as an arrow. Drive4fun, did you notice the initial punch was gone? It used to wheelie but doesn't now. What are your AVC settings?

Bob

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Gasser View Post
    I put the AVC in mine due to never got it going straight! It now goes straight as an arrow. Drive4fun, did you notice the initial punch was gone? It used to wheelie but doesn't now. What are your AVC settings?

Bob
    Using the Castle programming card on a computer to change torque limiting from the 4.2 default to zero will help.

RC poster

AVC test results

Run data for AVC on funny car.

My available location for drag racing is only 100 feet long. And half of it is needed for stopping distance. So my runs are only 50 feet long, but, from the below, they are very comparable to the non-AVC runs posted on some of these forums. And my runs are just the first runs with more refining tests yet to be done.

My AVC car on its first run, went 47.7 MPH in 1.8 seconds for 50 feet. (V=70.0 ft/sec a=39 ft/sec^2)

On 11/15/12 Jack-HPL posted 66.3 MPH in 2.4 seconds for 132 feet. (V=97 ft/sec a=40 ft/sec^2)

It is logical that the speed of my car will not be lower than 70 ft/sec for the rest of the run to 132 feet, so it would take 1.2 seconds to cover the remaining 82 feet. This gives an absolute worst case of 3.0 seconds to travel 132 feet, and any additional acceleration would decrease that time.

It is interesting to note that both accelerations exceed one G. (A real Funny Car will do 3 G's. The specs for a Corvette gives 0.7 G's.)

RUN SPECS...............
    Track prep = none
    tire prep = none
    gear ratio = 20/68 (need to test 18/68)
    Rear differential: locked
    Battery = 3S 6,400 mAh Traxxas
    DX4C : Pwr=100; pwr expo=20; brake=100; steering e.p.=50
    AVC via DX4C: Pwr = 50%; steering=75% (need to test 75% on both)
    Castle System settings: punch dampening = 0; torque limiting = 0; fwd pwr = 100; pwr curve = none; brake = 90; drag brake = 30 (need to increase this to 80); start pwr = high.

RUN COMMENTS.................

Only "baby" wheelies can be done because the AVC jumps in to stop them. But they are there and can be seen.
    Heavy braking will cause spinouts. Need to increase drag brake to 80.
    A steering AVC of less than 50% may cause a spin-out.
    But, at steering AVC of 75%, all runs were arrow straight.

BOTTOM LINE..............

It is now super super fun having arrow straight runs with no flip-overs or spin-outs.
    Thanks to Traxxas for this car and timing system.
    Last edited by drive4fun; 08-03-2014 at 11:48 AM.