Thread: Handling tips.

RC Competitor

Handling tips.

I just got a electric 4 tec and this is my first on road. And first 4x4. So i having trouble making to corner and pull straight.

My issue is under heavy acceleration the car pulls left and when turning right with power applied it was spin out much faster then when turning left. It is also super dicy at speed greater then 20ish and you can't even get up to 30... Any thoughts of steering and it spins out.

RC Competitor
    Any ideas. This thing is not driveable no matter how i set alignments. Only thing i cant adjust it rear tow which looks bad

RC Champion
    the 4tec nitro or electric in this case needs to be balanced properly to achieve good handling and straight line performance. Couple of things to check before tweaking the car.
    1. are you shocks the same length and the car sits level on the ground. pick up the car, do all 4 wheels end up at the same height?
    2. Is anything binding in the suspension or the drivetrain. binding up drivetrain is a sure way to have poor handling.
    3. are your belts tight and are the correct pulleys on the car. You are complaining about the car spinning out easily and mismatched pulleys can cause the front or rear to turn faster really having a drastic effect on stability.
    4. Is the car bottoming out.. Ride height too low?
    5. do you have the proper tow in/out on the front and rear. I race touring cars and setup is crucial to a good racing car. what I have found is that a little tow out in the front of the car will make the car much easier to drive, straight and tow in makes the car very skittish which in turn will make any small adjustment amplify to throw the car out of balance and easier to spin out. Most of my cars are set up with 2degees tow out on the front and 2 degrees to in on the rear. great tracking in a straight line and carves up the turns very well. Of course I run foams and brushless motors so 50+ mph is the norm, but even slower cars still will handle terribly if not set up well..
    6. last but possibly not least, How is your steering servo? The stock 2018 traxxas servo isn't a good choice for the car. Get a decent digital servo.. even the 2070 or waterproof 2075 is a good servo to use. They track well and return to center fairly well..
    Check everything I mentioned and I will check back with you to see if you found anything. You can also pm me if you have any questions as well...
    Maxx3.3/ rusty5700/ slash3800/ slash5700 /4tec3.3

RC Competitor
    I found taking the time and setting up mine with the proper alignment tools made a huge difference.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by X2guy View Post
    I found taking the time and setting up mine with the proper alignment tools made a huge difference.
    Of all the stuff I wrote, I forgot to mention that..LOL That's step .5

RC Competitor
    Thank you. Yes i have constantly the same problem while turning or while accelerating. The car just wants to spin out more in one direction. Ill go though the car again and see whats up. I just have no way to fix my rear toe issue. They point inward. But the left rear points in more and that would make sense right if the rear of the car wants to spin out in to the right sending the car into a CCW rotation.
    Last edited by swagon_wagon; 05-07-2014 at 05:02 PM.

RC Champion
    The only thing I can think of if you are sure about the rear toe in on the car is check the rear bulkheads, arms and pins for damage. The rear toe is fixed if I remember and they should be the same on both sides. Unless its drastically different, I don't see this as being the only issue. You may have a problem going in a straight line, but it shouldn't make the car spin out. Have you checked all wheels for binding issues, especially the right side, I think that may be more likely the cause.

RC Competitor
    Well all the wheel spin well. And with the wheels spinning under part throttle and grabbing each wheel to check the diffs all had equal feel and response.
    I have a shopping cart feel of awsome stuff including 0 degree plastic carriers and a set of 1.6 degree alloy carriers. And i found a carbon chassis for the 4 tec. Plus im doing the 3.3 diff swap among other things.

I just went though the front steering with a fine tooth comb. Plus bought bearings for the bell cranks. So thats should do it