RC Competitor

Velineon 3500 rebuild problem - need suggestions

Front motor bearing broke last weekend, the inner ring of the bearing shattered, internals of the bearing are gone, but the outer ring of the bearing is stuck in the motor case and I can't get anything in to pry or loosen it.

Location of bearing: http://youtu.be/Y0td2aBxiHg 3:54, front bearing (his popped out on the shaft, mine has just the outter ring so his way of removing does not work).

Any suggestions? Heat the can with a torch maybe? Don't want to ruin the coils.

RC Qualifier
    If I understand correctly you would want to freeze it to make the bearing smaller

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Pede4x4owner View Post
    If I understand correctly you would want to freeze it to make the bearing smaller
    Not sure how to do that other than putting the entire case in the freezer, but then the stuck bearing would shrink with the motor case. If I briefly put a torch to the case, could cause the case to expand a little bit to help me somehow get the bearing out, but will that ruin the coils or anything else in that vicinity?

RC Qualifier
    Try using a freeze spray (also often referred to as cool/cooling spray). A freeze spray penetrates and cracks rust, and is often used by automotive and marine repair shops.
    I don't know which brand is available where you live, but I've used this one:
    http://crcindustries.com/auto/?s=05002

You could also try an athletes cooling spray which is used on sports injuries (but this has no penetrating abilities).
    Last edited by Viking; 05-02-2014 at 02:24 AM.

RC Competitor
    Finally tapped it out. That was a stubborn bearing case.

RC Qualifier
    Glad to hear you sorted it out.

RC Competitor
    Thank you, and thanks for that product suggestion by the way, that is going to be pretty useful for a different project.

Dude I am stoked that you got that old bearing case out now it's time to rebuild and get back on the road or off it......peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

RC Competitor
    LOL, me too man! UPS should be here today with the rebuild kit, along with the wife's new Stampede 4X4 VXL...so I really needed that case out or the wife would be playing alone this weekend...can't have that!

Will also be trying out a Vicious Teknology motor this weekend, or early next week. Good or bad, I'm going to post a review. I like the company, and their batteries so far. Let's see what their 4400kv 2 Pole can do.

As long as you run it with a 9t pinion you should be all good with a 2s but keep an eye on the motor temps dude......peace

RC Competitor
    Got the motor today, plugs don't fit ESC. Gonna be a few days before I get to LHS. Feels tight, hard to spin the rotor by hand with pinion on. IDK if that's normal but my Velineon 3500 wasn't difficult to spin by hand.

RC Qualifier
    That doesnt sound good to me, even my 4pole motors aren't difficult to turn with a pinion on and they have twice the magnets. You could always solder the wires, but it would be best to get the correct bullets.

The motor rotor could be harder to turn because its new and its magnets are stronger than the vxl just my 2 cents......peace

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by spenniepoos View Post
    The motor rotor could be harder to turn because its new and its magnets are stronger than the vxl just my 2 cents......peace
    Sales rep got back to me and that's exactly what he said. Magnets are stronger. Just gotta get to LHS to change plugs and I'll post a review, as well as YouTube vid of it running. Getting anxious!

At least the Velineon rebuild was successful.
    Last edited by FlyingStampede; 05-03-2014 at 05:29 PM.

Sweet dude I hope it works well for you you need 3.5mm plugs and your ready to go bashing........peace

RC Competitor
    New buddy at LHS is already holding a set for me :-D
    Gotta wait till Monday to snag em though.

You need to start soldering so you can avoid delays. With practice it's easier than you think.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by O.G. View Post
    You need to start soldering so you can avoid delays. With practice it's easier than you think.
    I hear you on that. I just don't want to solder the motor directly to the esc. If the new Vicious Tek motor ends up as mean as they say, I'll probably put it in my wifes new rig lol.

Yeah good idea dude that motor would be sweet in a bandit or something along those lines........peace

RC Competitor
    Yeah good idea dude that motor would be sweet in a bandit or something along those lines........peace
    Maybe later this summer I'll snag their Barracuda 4 Pole motor/esc combo. Only $120.00 to be guinea pig on that one lol. I do like the company, good communication and service so far.

Sounds good man I wonder what that 4 pole systems like I think when you get it give it a review bro......peace

RC Competitor
    Sounds good man I wonder what that 4 pole systems like I think when you get it give it a review bro......peace
    Found a vid on YouTube, someone has already upped a vid of the Barracuda 4 pole running in an SCT. Not sure how it would translate in a Stampede though lol. Sounds like a little ripper.

Thanks for the video dude when you do get that combo go for the 3500kv setup and you will have an awesome speed and torque machine....peace

Is the barracuda a 540, or 550 size can? I've noticed prices have dropped in the year or so that I was out of the hobby.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

It's a 36mm x 63mm so it's a 550 size motor and should be on par with the tenshock 3500kv motor....peace

RC Competitor
    I have my hopes up for it lol. I just want lower motor temps. My mistake buying a 4400kv 2 pole...blah. Live and learn, at least the price was low. May get it going this weekend

Well dude the 4 pole motor will run awesome with the right gearing.......peace