Thread: Stalling issues

RC Enthusiast

Stalling issues

Hey guys im in need of some real help here b.c i am out of ideas. Pretty much whats happening is that unless i hold the throttle about 1/4 of the way open it will stall on me. Before this started to happen i was having really bad issues with it getting really really hot and i came to found out my exhaust had a crack so i got a new one. I have also put all new rings in my carb and also replaced my clutch because that was starting to go bad, my fuel lines also were replaced. I have tried tuning and tuning but nothing seems to help at all not the low speed the idle nothing at all. The glow plugs new so thats not an issue. It runs good just a little hot but it dont help when as soon as you hit the brakes it stalls or when you first turn it on if you are not holding the gas in 1/4th of the way. Any idea guys? i was thinking to start with that it wasnt getting fuel thats why i replaced alot of the stuff on it. The only thing i didnt do was replace the rings in the fuel tank but they look just fine. i will put a video up in a day or two if that helps but the car is apart so i cant right now.

RC Champion
    Did you replace the slipper clutch only or did you replace the clutch bell assembly as well? If it starts right up then you don't need to replace the gas tank o ring. I would suggest taking off the e clip and checking the clutch bell assembly (bearings, clutch pads, spring). When I had that issue, I took apart my clutch bell assembly and the spring just fell to the ground.
    Spartan Jet Boat
    Alias
    Fiero GTP

RC Enthusiast
    yeah i did i put new bearings in the clutch assembly and everything else other then the bell itself which i do have a new one i just didnt put it on bc of the gear size it was. Like i said when i tore it down the last time i saw that the spring had popped and broke so thats new. The metal bell is the only thing not changed. I did notice something that before i tore stuff apart it was getting wet around the throttle attachment at the carb and under it but i could never tell where it was coming from because the the motor was throwing it around everywhere. I swear i feel dumb because i have been working on and racing these things for about 5 years and this is the first time i have been stumped.

RC Qualifier
    How many gallons are on the engine?
    Jato 3.3, Revo .28 JL Max, Nitro Stampede 3.3

RC Enthusiast
    since my last rebuild id say about 2 gallons.

RC Champion
    Your front bearing is leaking a little bit. Its common you see a little leak. Have you messed with the idle screw any?
    Spartan Jet Boat
    Alias
    Fiero GTP

It is possible for new clutch springs to break. Check it anyways just to be 100% sure. If it's not that then it sounds like your idle and LSN is not set correctly. As far as it running hot, there are only a few things that could make it do that. Air leak, mixture too lean, or running it in a location that overloads the motor too much like thick grass.

As far as setting your idle gap they say set it to 1mm but for me that's way too far open. I go maybe .5mm to .75mm and then leave it and I rarely change it after that. I then use the LSN mixture to adjust the idle. Now there is a trick to it, you have to find that sweet spot between LSN mixture and idle gap so it doesn't run overly lean or overly rich on the bottom end. If you have to run it extremely rich to idle properly but boggs on take off, then the idle gap is too large. If you have to run it really lean where it cuts out on take off, then the idle gap is too small.
    Last edited by CarGuy7a; 04-29-2014 at 01:54 AM.