RC Racer

Stupid questions about tyres/ wheels

sorry for the dumb questions but i have no knowledge of tyres and wheels bought separately as ive only ever bought mounted. i dont have a reliable hobby shop near me with reasonable prices or range so everything i buy is sight unseen off ebay.

if i buy the duratrax derringer tyres how do i know what size wheels to buy for it ?
    do i need to buy foam inserts for the tyres or do they come with the tyres ?
    is balancing necessary for a predominantly offroad rally or slash ? if so, what do you use for weights ?
    ive youtubed some tyre mounting videos and i think i have a relatively good idea on that but any tips or references would be appreciated.

thanks for any help.

RC Champion
    Typical wheel sizes for the Rally are the standard 2.2/3.0, Thats expressed as inches for the front and back. For these the front looks liek ahigh profile tire where as the back is like a low profile tire. The tires will only fit on the rim one way. The rims use a 12mm hex drive hub.

The other common used tire is the 1/8 buggy wheel, which is about 3.25 inchs in diameter. The tires are a lower profile and will fit on the rim independant of side. The hex drive on these are 17mm. Adapter are required for the Rally to use them. There are vairous other bigger wider tires and rims, but for the skae of this discussion we'll keep it to these two common ones.

If you are wanting to get Derrigers for the OEM rims, you need 2.2/3.0 tires. The other size would be 1/8 buggy, you will need new 1/8 buggy rims and 17mm hub adapters for those.

All Duratrax and Proline tires come with the foam inserts, so you ar enot required to purchase those separately. THere may be the odd case where this isn't ture, but not for anything I have purchased.

Balancing is not required, but I recommend it, and balance all my tires if possible. It really helps the vehicle to run much smoother and track much better. For balancing weights you can use putty, however I'n not a fan of that and use lead tape designed for RC tires. This is available at your hobby store or on ebay.

Left to right: 2.2/3.0, 1/8 Buggy, 1/8 GT8, same rim diameter, smaller diameter tire

Left to Right: 2.2/3.0, 1/8 Buggy, 1/8 GT8. Note the hex drive size. 12mm for the 2.2/3.0, 17mm for the others.

RC Racer
    Thanks man. I wanted buggy size tyres for the bigger rim. Loved the ones you put on your slash. Bought the 17mm adaptors.

So do I just search eBay for 1/8 buggy wheels ? Are all 1/8 buggy wheels the same standard size ?

RC Champion
    Yes, for the most part all 1/8 buggy wheels are similar in size and width, the variance is from manufactures, but they are mostly the same.

1/8 Buggy wheels on ebay is the search and how I do most of my shopping for them.

RC Racer
    Thanks for all your help viper.

RC Champion
    No Problems Chris, hope you find what you are looking for!