RC Enthusiast

possible cursed engine? 3.3

ok here it goes this engine I bought has been a little devil unlike my other i traded ridebonfire.

here is all the low down

stripped hsn on carb body, 9 glow plugs gone before a half a tank it loves mccoy 59s yet one tank they are destroyed and new ones ruin the tune running same fuel since break in went through 1.3/4 quarts about 4-5 tank i constantly have to chase the tune will never stay running eaith its idle or hsn fuel issue every other time and bout had enough. broke a throttle servo due to the return spring being way to tight had to mod move it to have less tension. going to have the lhs look at it for free talked him into it very trusty but looking for any ideas as too whats going on, i air sealed the engine with rtv sillicone.

Chasing a tune usually means an air leak some place. You shouldn't need to seal the engine as the o-rings do more than a sufficient job. Have you replaced the carb and made sure there's no air leaks?
    The Super Derecho

RC Qualifier
    Have you tried replacing your fuel tanks O ring? That caused me a lot of trouble running it. It won't be obvious you need a new O ring till you have the new one in your hand. How old are the fuel lines? I would spend about $10 and get a couple of feet of tubing shipped to your door. Next, I would reset the carb to factory settings and then give it another shot. If it doesn't fire up then try a new carb. Also make sure your exhaust header doesn't have cracks or isn't kinked badly. Mine was kinked and it made a little difference in how it ran. Let us know how it goes!
    Revo 2.5 upgraded to 3.3.

If that HSN housing threads are stripped I'd be looking at a replacement carb body or carb before going any further...

+1 if the O-rings are good the engine doesn't leak.

Also if you had been in a good wreck take a bright light to the HSN housing and check for any cracks in the carb as well. But if those threads are stripped you will never get that tune right....
    Founder of H.U.A.
    Hop Ups Anonymous

RC Enthusiast
    this engine is brand new i did replace the carb with a new one last 2 days ago, tank and lines are new as well

the only driving its done was for break in and now all it does is sit on the tail gate trying to tune it
    Last edited by Double G; 04-26-2014 at 07:27 AM. Reason: merge

RC Qualifier
    Call Traxxas and ask their help.

RC Racer
    Could have defective engine/carb call traxxas and maybe get a replacement

Quote Originally Posted by Donny2020 View Post

the only driving its done was for break in and now all it does is sit on the tail gate trying to tune it

Tuning works much better while driving it. Especially with a warm engine and at a half-tank.
    The Super Derecho

RC Enthusiast
    well thats the thing as soon as i blip the trottle it dies, tunning on that issue it then ideles and drives right about 50 feet or soo then cuts out gotta chase down and re start and try again get back to another walk of shame distance dies again. tune on it to work it goes back to the blip of the throttle and dies instantaneously. so far iv tried adjusting servo, throttle trim on remote, idle scre lsn hsn no luck went through trx glow plugs hates em, only thing i found is the mccoy59 is the clossest it gets to keep running.
    Quote Originally Posted by Double G View Post
    Tuning works much better while driving it. Especially with a warm engine and at a half-tank.

Have you taken the engine apart to determine its internal state?
    The Super Derecho

RC Qualifier
    Ok the way you described it sounds like a bad slipper clutch that is way too tight. Try loosening it till it runs without cutting out. Also check inside the clutch cause it sounds like a slightly stretched clutch spring. That just causes it to stall the engine.

RC Enthusiast
    I have a new 3.3 and the issue I'm having is that the running temps are all over the board . I'm very careful not to let it hit 270 degrees but I can't seem to tune it were the temps don't fluctuate so much . My drivetrain isn't binding anywere and I've cut large vent holes in my body to help . My gears are shifting properyly and I don't run it at high rpms for more that a few seconds .

RC Enthusiast
    Well things just got worst. at first i got it to start and run blip the throttle and it worked then broke the one clutch pin off put a new clutch and flywheel again, running beautifully. tuned it out after months of fighting it . ran around long wot twice on the way back engine died took temp 240F with body on. restarted it went down turned around same thing bogged then died went over took temp body on 280F turned the hsn rich 3/4 counter clock turn restarted went down kind of sluggish turned around and sluggish and this was wot as it cleared its throat it died costed to me took temp 315F. letting it cool down all with a mostly full tank.

RC Enthusiast
    Sounds allot like what my 3.3 in my Tmaxx was doing . I spent hours chasing air leaks and researching all the forums till I gave up installed a Dynamite mach 2 and now its a 4wd rocket with very level temperatures .

RC Qualifier
    Tuning with a half full tank is best. I would suggest only going an 1\8 of a turn at a time. I turn about a 1/4 at a time with my losi 3.4 carb though just cause it takes more to properly adjust air-fuel mix. Try a fresh plug with factory settings on the carb. If there is an air leak then you would notice after doing this. Not sure what else to suggest. If your fed up then make that an excuse to upgrade to a big block or just another small block/mid block.

Read this tuning helper it will save you some headaches....

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...ul-Tuning-tips
    Founder of H.U.A.
    Hop Ups Anonymous

RC Qualifier
    I fought chasing a tune for months. Mine would bog and die at WOT. Just installed a Losi carb 3.4 and the beast came to life. Tuning is simple and will make a world of difference. Best $40.00 I ever spent on this hobby. Highly recommend it
    uh oh.... that didn't sound good