RC Champion

20t pinion fast.

I tried the 20t pinion gear that came with my maxx. what a big difference from the 17t pinion.
    Temp on motor was 119.6* and esc was 85*. Temps taken with Duratrax flashpoint. Temp outside is mid. 50s. I was using the real time telemetry but there is no set up for the 3.2 tires i use. The speedo read 41mph. Temps on telemetry was 113.

RC Qualifier
    What motor are you running? When I had a Tekin T8 2000kv motor, 20t was a good pinion in general, but having swapped down to a 1700kv motor 20t is a little short, particularly on NiMH cells. I wouldn't mind the slightly lower speed but I found the ESC was cool but the motor was heating up more than I would prefer.

RC Qualifier
    That's what I run 20t 65 spur.

RC Champion
    Turbo. Castle 2200kv motor and ESC that came with the truck. 20t pinion and 68 spur is a bit fast for the space i have to run love the speed.I'am going to try a 18t pinion.i can not find a 19t pinion under 8.00. I refuse to pay that much for a pinion gear. When traxxas pinions are only a few bucks on the bay.Owell.
    Question. Will the 20t drain my batteries fast than 18t pinion. I use two SPC 2S 6500 Lipos.
    Last edited by snowfighter; 04-25-2014 at 03:14 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    Im running a 25/56....yeah its tall. but I can still wheelie at 3/4 throttle on 4s lipos. Motor temps are in the 150s after a hard run.

RC Champion
    25/56 Holy Moly.

RC Qualifier
    I'd expect going to 20t would lead to slightly lower run times, but perhaps not appreciably so. It's fun to find that balance between equalizing ESC and motor temps, and balancing those temps with top speed and acceleration for a given battery and motor pairing.

Nice pinions are expensive though; I have 18t, 20t, and 22t Robinson Racing pinions and they're about $10 each. Between those and the stock two spurs, I have some good options. Craziest gearing I have run was 28 / 54 on 6s with a 2000k motor; GPS top speed was 58 with 3.2" tires.

RC Champion
    Turbo. I ran the maxx the other day and had a motor temp of 123 for got what the esc was . I know it was below was under 100* though. Outside temps was mid 50s. What is a safe esc temp.I know to keep my motor close to 160ish.

RC Qualifier
    I know you're running the Mamba system, but for my Tekin, I never let my temps exceed an indicated 160*, which is 4 leds. Sounds like you're running conservatively as well, which is great to hear.

RX-8 on-board led 'diagnostic'
    LED 1 = TEMP 120<
    LED 2 = TEMP 140
    LED 3 = TEMP 155
    LED 4 = TEMP 160
    LED 5 = TEMP 175
    LED 6 = TEMP 190
    LED 7 = TEMP 210
    SHUT DOWN = TEMP 240f

RC Enthusiast
    Running 25/56, my temps are in the 150 range on the motor when its about 75 degrees outside. I did have to buy higher C rating lipos. No clue how fast it will go in a straight line as I cant hold it with Trencher X tires. It still wheelies at 3/4 throttle and torques the chassis. I kept running my gearing up watching my temps. I could gear taller still but I want to wait and see what happens on the motor temps especially in the summer in south Texas.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by turbo_cat1 View Post
    I Sounds like you're running conservatively as well, which is great to hear
    I want my motor and esc to last.. So speed is nice but i want to keep temps down just like everybody else.
    I do have an 18t pinion. The old maxx wont see much action this week or next. Turkey season starts the 3rd. Scouting out birds this week. Off (vac.)next week to hunt.

Speedster.
    How come you cant hold it in a straight line with the trenchers?
    Last edited by cooleocool; 04-30-2014 at 08:51 AM. Reason: merge

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by snowfighter View Post

Speedster.
    How come you cant hold it in a straight line with the trenchers?
    The trenchers balloon to much. On concrete, just a slight twitch of the steering causes it to tumble at high speeds. Or I just need to get better at driving . I'd like to try it with Road rage tires.

RC Champion
    Roadrage tires are on my list.