RC poster

Question TRX 3.3 locked up?

I have a TMaxx 3.3 RC truck with the TRX 3.3 engine. I haven't run the truck for about 2 years. I went out today to fire it up and it wouldn't crank. I removed the starter and confirmed that the starter is turning. It seems the engine may be locked up. Does this sound likely? Could it have rusted internally? Is there any way to get it freed up?

It's probably gummed up inside. I'd do a tear down and cleaning.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by icepick832 View Post
    It's probably gummed up inside. I'd do a tear down and cleaning.
    Where would you suggest I find some instructions on tearing down the engine and cleaning it?

Thanks

http://traxxas.com/support/parts/engines/trx33

There you go. I grabbed the whole list just in case you wanted more info.
    Last edited by icepick832; 04-23-2014 at 10:12 PM.

RC poster
    I'd do as icepick832 stated. A complete teardown of the engine.

It states in the manual that the nitro fuel should always be cleared before storing the car for any period of time over a few hours. The fuel, if any is left in the engine, will draw in moisture, and that causes problems. After running your car, you should always pinch the fuel line to kill the engine. Then, use the EZ start to burn off the last little bit of fuel in the engine.

Now, remove the glow plug and turn the car upside down. Use the EZ start for ten seconds. Then do it again.

Spray a one second burst of WD-40 into the engine, and remove the air filter and spray a one second burst in there as well. Wear safety glasses when performing this.

This procedure will help prevent the situation you've encountered.

Also, very important to clean out that air filter for each hour of run time.

*This info does not supersede the information in your owners manual.

RC Competitor
    I just put after run oil in the crank case piston and crank. Then it completely unlocked my .15. I'm gonna put some geese eating stuff in it though

RC Enthusiast
    You might have thrown a connecting rod or bent or shaped it. That's what happened to me. I order a new piston and connecting rod