RC Champion

New to the scene

I have recently picked up a used rally Vxl. It was used and somewhat abused I would say. I have been reading about setups and usual issues. I have recently ordered some parts to repair its former owners "modifications."
    I have traxxas red aluminum toe rods and push rods on order, along with a maroon factory body. (to match up with my intended idea.) I intend to order 4tec factory wheels and tires. Seems they do alright traction wise, or so Ive read. (Feel free to correct me on that if Im wrong.)
    I also intend to swap the 3m esc to a C.C. SV3. I plan to use the traxxas motor heat sink.

What I was wondering is what is the best shock and differential setup for a basher/normal driver.
    I will be driving mostly on roads and parking lots. Whats a good diff fluid setup and what springs/fluids would you recommend?

What it looks like now.

What Im hoping to achieve.

Rustler, Bandit, Summit, Emaxx, Rally, and Alias

RC Champion
    I should clarify I want a grip setup. Something that can corner as well as go straight. Best of both worlds I suppose.

RC Champion
    It appears no one drives these anymore. So I suppose Ill do some research into the matter and keep you all updated on my progress with pictures and add ons.
    I have recently received my maroon factory body. I removed its factory stickers, but haven' had the time to get stripes made up.
    I put a new front foam bumper on it, along with new body mounts, aluminum push rods, aluminum toe rods, and a traxxas heat sink.
    Sv3 esc is on hold at the moment as I just purchased a MMP SCT 2400KV system for my rustler project.

RC Racer
    Honestly traction will be your biggest problem. I run my rally/boss with stock esc and hotter 4370kv motor and have to be very careful with the throttle to keep from spinning out. I've done HR sway bars, steering servo saver, toyz chassis braces steel hollow balls in all pushrods, bearings in rockers. Aluminum knuckles.Shocks have 90wt oil tan and black springs. I run grip 35mm rear 31mm front tires. Shimmed diffs with 100k front 70k center and 50k rear. I am still trying to get it to top speed on dual 2s parallel let alone 3s. I have a 1/10 4s capable esc that I want to throw in but would be a waste of time if it won't hook up. So it will go into my big block summit, integy tracked rock crawler that I am building.

And I would stay away from aluminum turn buckles. The adjust ability is nice but if you even brush a curb they bend and done.
    Last edited by gorilla2891; 05-11-2014 at 11:13 AM.

RC Champion
    Im going to switch over to a SV3 esc, so I wont have to worry about heat build up in the vxl3m esc.
    I have run mine on 3s before and love the speed. It takes real finesse on the throttle and planning for corners.
    I run in a parking lot so I think the aluminum toe rods will be ok.
    Diffs are whatever they came with in them. Im also sure that the center is not a diff but the locked gear output.
    Center diff and oils are ordered. I have 100k already so ill try out some different variations till I get what I like in it.
    Pics will come later.

RC Racer
    SV3 is nice. I have one in my merv. But you need to run parallel to keep amps up. so 2 batts parallel. 2s or 3s. But traction will be your nemesis... With a fan heatsink my setup is fine. Stock gearing, oversize wheels, cooling fan heat sink on motor. Even running 6.6 life batts in series only got my motor to 180 with stock esc.
    Last edited by gorilla2891; 05-12-2014 at 12:28 AM.

RC Champion
    Good to know about the amps. Thanks for the tip/heads up.
    I will have to order more batteries then. Lol.
    I may just keep it as it is and gear it down a bit to reduce heat. This is just my parking lot beater anyway, so not trying to add more than needed.