Thread: 3.3 problem

RC Qualifier

3.3 problem

yesterday i pulled out the revo, and it was hard to start. i tried a new glowplug and got it running i drove about 30 yards and the truck stopped but the engine was fully revved up. it was smoking too when i got over to it. no throttle response at all. i first thought stripped spur gear. killed it, looked at it and the spur was ok. i restarted the truck, same thing. i next assumed broke spring on the clutch shoes, i had that happen once before and this is what it did. i just pulled the engine, the spring in good. but i noticed when i spin the fly wheel there is no compression at all. it doesn't free spin, but there in no resistance at all. is the engine toast?? it's only a year old, and had maybe a gallon of nitro through it.
    Revo 3.3

RC Qualifier
    like i said, i pulled the 3.3, removed the pull start and back plate. inside, everything looks ok. when i spin the shaft the connecting rod and piston move normal, nothing appears broke. when i pull the pull starter, i have compression. but when i spin the flywheel with my hand, it moves freely, where it used to have resistance, i used hear and feel the piston "pop". i tried tightening the nut on the flywheel but it seemed tight. i tried to loosen it to remove the flywheel so i could reinstall it, but it wouldn't budge. i really think my problem is in this area somewhere, i just dont know what yet. any ideas?? i remember when i went from 2.5 to 3.3 the flywheel being hard to remove, but not this difficult.

with the 3.3 in the truck, when i roll if forward the clutch bell does not spin, when i roll it in reverse it spins.
    Revo 3.3

Sounds like a definite issue with the flywheel tension or the split cone washer. Need to try to get that flywheel off to inspect behind it

RC Racer
    Yeah if you have compression then its the flywheel - could have came loose or the cone is done.

RC Qualifier
    That's what I thought. I just gotta get it apart. Any suggestions
    Revo 3.3

Well, holding the flywheel still with a vise or channel lock pliers is out, as your flywheel is free turning. I'd recommend a tear down of the whole motor. You will need to remove the carb too. One carb is out, stick a pencil down the carb opening and through the opening in the crank. This will lock the crank in place so you can then put some muscle behind turning the lock nut to get the flywheel off. This is of course if it appears to be stuck on and trying to remove it turn the motor over. The reason behind a full year down of the motor is so if pencil bits get inside, you can flush it out before putting it back together. The pencil is used as if you use a metal object, it could damage the port in the crank.

RC Qualifier
    I'll try the pencil this evening and see if I can get it apart
    Revo 3.3

RC Qualifier
    got it apart, i cleaned it all up, but the flywheel feels loose when i put it on the beveled cone, so i'm replacing both parts. i guess with the shaft spinning, it milled out the flywheel some.

i've been having random issues on and off for awhile, where sometimes the truck wouldn't move forward on demand. maybe it's slowly been milling out over time. who knows.
    Revo 3.3

RC Qualifier
    I'm up and running. Thanks for the input
    Revo 3.3