RC Enthusiast

alias wont take flight

i had probably 20 flights with my alias, then it started to lack power, majorly. Some rotors spin but not enough to leave the ground, and even with the throttle 100%, they just stop spinning all together. i thought it was the battery at first, so i ordered a new one, plugged it in, same problem. once again have around 20 flights with my alias.

any help is much appreciated

You probably have a bad motor. Try to spin it up and take note of the motor/s that dont spin up right away, that motor/s are likely the culprit.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Enthusiast
    ok sounds good ill give it a try. if its a bad motor, will traxxas send me replacments? ive barely even used it
    thanks for the tip

RC Enthusiast
    Besides calling Traxxas for motors and/or getting some from a local shop, I found reseting the accelerometer helped me. Look here on the Traxxas site: http://latrax.com/pdfs/6608-Alias-Ac...eter-Reset.pdf

Don't give up.

-Tom

RC poster
    Two ways to test for bad motor. Hold latrax in hand and with 10% throttle tilt copter to each corner of each blade and each rotor will speed up. If one rotor doesn't seem to have as much power as the others then that's a sign to try next test. Next switch what you believe to be the bad motor into one of the other motor plugs and see if the rotor still hardly spins. That's how I tested mine to determine a bad motor. It was pretty easy.

RC Racer
    I'm a believer in the tilt-test. Never thought about plugging a motor into a different output. Is there wire length to do that or are you removing the motor?

Never tried it on the Alias, but I regularly spin up brushed motors off single alkaline flashlite batteries from AA to D, doesn't matter. I use that to test my crawler motors and to break in new motors. If you unplug the alias motors you could power them up off a battery and see how they compare, no electronics involved. Just stick wire ends into the connector. No big deal if you accidently short them. But my crawler motors work well both directions. I think on the Alias you better get the direction right so as not to hurt the brushes running the motor backwards.

RC poster
    Plenty of length in wires and if you're worried about running motor in wrong direction just plug it into the rotor that is going the same direction. The opposite corner rotor rotates in the same direction if that helps. When I called traxxas to get my motor warrantied and I told them what I did they appreciated it as it saved time for them and me sending it in for a diagnosis.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy1 View Post
    I'm a believer in the tilt-test. Never thought about plugging a motor into a different output. Is there wire length to do that or are you removing the motor?

Never tried it on the Alias, but I regularly spin up brushed motors off single alkaline flashlite batteries from AA to D, doesn't matter. I use that to test my crawler motors and to break in new motors. If you unplug the alias motors you could power them up off a battery and see how they compare, no electronics involved. Just stick wire ends into the connector. No big deal if you accidently short them. But my crawler motors work well both directions. I think on the Alias you better get the direction right so as not to hurt the brushes running the motor backwards.