Thread: Engine Bearings

RC Racer

Engine Bearings

So I replaced one 3.3 set of bearings by buying a crankcase with bearings installed for about $16 shipped on ebay. I also replaced the bearings on my other 3.3 by hang. Oh my gosh that was hard!!!! I read so many posts to just heat up the engine to 150* and tap it on wood and they pop out. I tried heating and freezing and I BEAT a 2x4 and the bearings wouldn't budge. The front bearing was easy to get out - I just stuck a long socket in from behind and tapped it. The back bearing was nearly impossible. It took me a good 45 minutes of prying very carefully with pliers to get it out (in pieces). Do yourself a favor and buy the crankcase with bearings.

You didn't heat up the block enough. I heat it up to at least 250 and the bearing will fall right out. On blocks that i don't really care about I've used a blow torch to evenly heat the block and within 20 seconds or so I'll hear a "tink" and the bearing is out. (I will admit that I still have one of those blocks and it is currently on my Revo.)
    The Super Derecho

RC Racer
    Hm I thought I read 150*. I actually put it in the oven for 15 min at 225* but I dint want to go higher since I thought I read 150*. I am sure I just read wrong.

250-275 you are safe... At 150 F I bet you were having one heck of a time...

Oh, and put your new bearings in the fridge overnight too. Then they will be contracted as much as possible as well.
    Robin Williams
    He will be greatly missed...