RC Champion

Anybody have a 14 Silverado. I want to install an Amp?

I just bought a 14 Silverado Z71 Double cab and I want to install an Amp/Sub. Anybody have advice on how to get RCA outputs from the MyLink touch head unit? If I pull out the unit there is no place to plug in RCA cables.

You'll need to get a line out converter, or if the amp you have in mind has high level inputs (screw blocks for wire) then you can go right into those. The line out converter hooks into the speaker wires in the vehicle to convert them to low level outputs (Rca terminals).

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by icepick832 View Post
    You'll need to get a line out converter, or if the amp you have in mind has high level inputs (screw blocks for wire) then you can go right into those. The line out converter hooks into the speaker wires in the vehicle to convert them to low level outputs (Rca terminals).
    So what would I do? Splice in to the stock rear speaker wires.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerman View Post
    So what would I do? Splice in to the stock rear speaker wires.
    Yup. Splice into rear (or front, doesn't matter with sub amps) with either the line converter, and wires spliced then run to high level input on the amp.

RC Champion
    Thanks for the advice. I may end up leaving this install to the pros. I have 10 wires going to each door. I would hate to do damage to the electrical system on a $40K Brand New Truck.

I just did a quick search and found that the wire colors are still the same as they have been for years on Chevy/gmc vehicles. Here's a link to someone that did an install in a 2014 silverado just in case you want to save around 100-150 bucks on the install.

http://www.silveradosierra.com/mobil...o-t149698.html

RC Champion
    Thanks for the link and doing my homework for me. Last amp I installed was on a 96 nissan pickup. After looking at the post it looks pretty easy.

I used to do installs for a living. Anything from Hondas to bmw's, simple speaker swaps to multiple video monitors and amps. It's actually much easier than most people think.

RC Champion
    Back in 96 I did my own on the nissan. But I did head unit and all. Ran all new wires for everything. Technology was far more primitive then. A 1 farad cap was impressive at the time. I am not sure what I want to install yet. Being older I dont want my ears to bleed or anything. I just want a good rich bass tone. The stock system in the truck is OK. Just needs a little more bass. My wife has the 14 Silverado Crew cab with the Bose system. It sounds great and has just enough bass. Crystal clear audio. The Bose sub for the truck is $1200. I want to come in less than that. I am thinking $500 max. Any suggestions? Keep in mind I am not looking to give the guy next to me an eargasm. I just want good clean sound. Not sure if your familiar with Primus, but if I can get "On the Tweak Again" to thump. I would be a happy camper. have a listen and lend me some advice please

Well I know you said your thinking about a sub, but maybe just replace the stock speakers will get you what you want. Might even be able to pull off just replacing the factory rears with a good quality 2 way speaker. That will richen the sound considerably. If you still want to go the sub route, I would say try to stay under 500 watts as 500 and up, while giving you what you want, based on what your looking for and to avoid, would be overkill. Even at 500 watts you wouldn't be using those watts to their full potential. I believe kicker makes a hideaway unit, and if I recall, usurps high level inputs, has a remote base knob, and comes with all the wires needed.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-cM2BaNr...ker-11HS8.html

At $300, it may be just what u need.
    I'm also past the age of making my windows rattle. I used to have 2- 10 inch,2-15inch subs, overhead and in-dash video, and a ps3 installed in my car. Now I'm in a Chevy spark so no where near the room. I haven't even installed 1-10 inch sub. I'm also lacking base big time in this thing, but waiting to do installs as there have been (not with mine) numerous complaints with the car for the 2013 models.
    Last edited by icepick832; 04-18-2014 at 05:03 PM.

RC Champion
    The stock doors are good but I can see them rattling with the hard slaps of the bass tracks from my choice of tunes. I have been looking at the 8" Kicker units as well as the Kenwood. I had 2 12" Kenwoods in a single pass bandpass powered by a Kenwood PSL200 2 channel, 2 Kenwood 6x9s 3ways in boxes underneath, and 2 kenwood 6.5 2 way in the front doors, all crammed in a 2wd 96 nissan xtra cab. It rumbled hard and clear. I dont want all that in my new truck. Wife Kids dogs and cats just take up all the space. I think the Kicker you provided the link for will fit the bill. Thanks for the advice.