RC Champion

Question Diff oils in 4x4 trucks

I was wondering why do almost everyone puts a heavier diff oil in the front diffs and less at the rear for 4x4 trucks; eg. e-revo, slash, e-maxx and 4x4 stampede.

And there are some who does the opposite, what are the disadvantages, cons and pros.

Thanks
    Live life to the fullest

RC Qualifier
    From what I understand it affects how your truck takes the corners. Or where you give it gas in the corners. I'm not sure, but I remember reading something like that.
    1/16 Summit beadlocks with 2.2 rock lizards

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    Heavier oil in the rear diff tends to allow the rear to push the front through the corner instead of allowing it to turn into the corner.

I have tried quite a few combinations, 20%+ heavier in front has always lead to the best handling; even just for bashing. I currently have 100k/500k/60k (F/C/R) in my basher... handling is superb!
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

I've always done the opposite. Heavier in the rear. I run 50K rear and 30K front Or I run even 50 front & rear. I haven't really noticed much difference but I'm just a backyard Rc'er. I always thought thicker oil in the rear would help the rear rotate better in the corners.

Now that Jimmy pointed that out and I sat here and thought about it a while it makes more sense what he said. Thicker fluid in the rear diff would probably be good for speed runs.