RC Champion

What would be a good rc for a 11 year old?

Ok so I have a slayer pro and love it but I want to get something for my younger brother for his birthday that is simple to drive and can be driven along side me at the rc track. I've looked at the rustler but I have heard that's not best track vehicle. The stampede to me is more of a basher than anything. What would y'all suggest? Also, it should probably be electric that way he can work on it cause nitro tuning is not something I expect him to like at all. Would a slash 2wd electric be the best bet? I kinda want to start him out on brushed and upgrade as he breaks things. What are your thoughts?
    Revo 2.5 upgraded to 3.3.

I don't see anything wrong with a Rustler; if I had to chose between them I'd go with the Slash. If he looks up to you he may be elated to open up a vehicle that looks like yours.
    The Super Derecho

EVERYTHING so depends on the particular 11-y-o that you would be the best judge. However, I think it may be unreasonable for you to expect him to not be frustrated trying to keep up to your 4WD Slayer with a 2WD brushed Slash. Because he'll want to keep up with you.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Champion
    My slayer has the revo 2.5 trans in it since I have yet to fully convert it to slayer pro from my revo 2.5. He should be able to keep up with me for now. But his bday is months away. I'm gathering as much info, money, and advice as I can to make a wise decision. I might upgrade him off the bat to brushless if I find a good deal though. I just want to be able to teach him once how to drive/repair then let him do it by himself. My issue with the rustler is I heard they turn poorly on loose dirt because of the tires.

RC Champion
    Sorry posts about non Traxxas vehicles are not allowed on this forum

Dadx2mj
    Last edited by Dadx2mj; 04-14-2014 at 04:09 PM.

RC Champion
    I have a friend who races a rustler. He can keep up pretty well. The slash would also be good. Or maybe even a mini. Those are indestructable and raceable. Mine is pretty good in the mini class.
    1:16 Slash VXL
    Stampede 4x4 3800kv
    Rustler VXL

RC Competitor
    I'd go with a VXL Slash for the little guy if he want's something like your truck.

Otherwise it's hard to beat a Pede if he just wants to bash around in a field.

RC Champion
    Thanks dad. I had forgotten. My problem with going with the pede though is that our grass in south Texas is all tall and the best place to just have fun is probably the beach. But if I find a deal I can't refuse then I probably will take it up... If he doesn't like it then its a stepping stone for an ever growing collection!

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by ManDime View Post
    Thanks dad. I had forgotten. My problem with going with the pede though is that our grass in south Texas is all tall and the best place to just have fun is probably the beach. But if I find a deal I can't refuse then I probably will take it up... If he doesn't like it then its a stepping stone for an ever growing collection!
    My 2wd Pede did a lot better in taller grass after I put 2.8" Trencher tires on. That was also after going brushless and geared down, too to handle tall grass.

It still depends on how tall the grass is, too.

I'm getting ready to sell two of my three 2WD trucks and buy a 4Pede for my 9 year old. We're having too much fun with 2 full size Summits and 1 mini Summit, so moving mostly to 4WD in our family.
    What broke, uh, needs upgrading now?