RC Enthusiast

Clicking from center diff

Ran a few battery packs since my last series of upgrades. Had one pretty high speed crash which resulted in a clicking sounds coming from my center diff. Took the diff apart and the new diff gearing that I installed still looks brand new. All other spurs and gears aren't missing any teeth or look any worse for the wear. I'm stumped... Anyone have any ideas?

Just put it back together after looking at everything and still hearing a slipping / grinding gear noise from the center diff area. Don't know if that helps the more experienced RC people diagnose what might be wrong. Thanks!
    Last edited by cooleocool; 04-11-2014 at 08:47 AM. Reason: merge

RC Qualifier
    Yes when I broke my center diff gears it was the small gear on the metal shaft. It wasn't missing teeth just split in half. Just so gear would spread apart but not fall apart.

Check for hair line cracks in plastic gears.
    Those who forfeit liberty 4 security get neither

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    Did you install a center diff? Because the 16ths don't come with one installed... they have a spool. Most of the time, clicking is from the front or rear diff and the sound travels up the shafts to the transmission.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Qualifier
    This might sound messed up but if you can't pin point the problem run the tar out of it until it breaks then you'll see the problem. Truthfully the center gears are pretty cheap anyway, so when I broke one of my gears in the tranny, I just bought two sets.

Edited for language abuse. If you see a starred out word in your post, you must edit it out to avoid earning warning points.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 04-11-2014 at 08:48 AM.

RC Enthusiast
    I did install a center diff. I'll just keep running it.

RC Enthusiast
    Rear diff...again. Running till it finally gives out.

RC Qualifier
    Dang that sucks. I haven't had a single issue sense I shimmed the new ring and pinions.

RC Qualifier
    We'll at skatepark I also stripped the center gear. Good thing I have a center diff coming!