RC Enthusiast

Exclamation I know how to fix the Alias motor problem

To get your Alias back in the air, just go too: http://micro-motor-warehouse.com/products/cl-0820-15

And order some of these motors. They are designed to fit right into the alias. I have put these in mine and they are amazing. The power and speed is even better and so is the batterie life. I have 125 flights and not one problem AT ALL. I have crashed It many times.
    So just stop wondering what to do and do something that makes a difference. Try these for a change! :-)
    Last edited by nixhex32; 04-08-2014 at 01:31 PM.

Those motors have been talked about here before. It was my understanding that they have been out of stock for some time now because they were being redesigned to make them plug and play (so they would come with a pinion and connector on them) and because the first batch had some issues they wanted to work out. Has it stands now I dont think you can buy them because no one has them in stock and they wont until they get some issues with them resolved.

For what it is worth the LaTrax motor in my Alias now have 100+ flights on them and are still going strong.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Enthusiast
    You can you use WL toys motors too. I forgot which model

RC Enthusiast
    There getting more in stock. By the 15th or the 20th

I ordered from him a few weeks ago when they came back in stock (for a couple days) and I got my order last week (two weeks after placing order) without pinions, wires half the length and no harness and no holes (if I recall) on top. Have had no need to replace the ones in my Alias yet so I cannot comment on the performance. Maybe the extra $12 for the stock plug-and-play Traxxas motors would be worth it.
    The Super Derecho

RC Enthusiast
    I just used the wires and plugs off the broke motors and solder them together. And the pinion gear off of them too

Quote Originally Posted by forzamotorsport925 View Post
    I just used the wires and plugs off the broke motors and solder them together. And the pinion gear off of them too
    I realize that, same with the other motor you referenced.

You can you use WL toys motors too. I forgot which model
    The Super Derecho

RC Enthusiast
    Traxxas motors are OK if kep maintained

RC poster
    I have found on my first motor fail , that the brush contacts missing on one side and and found one of the broken pieces just sitting there , now Im about to tear apart my second fail motor , Im sure its going to be the same results. So is it just defected or is impact on the pads or props something to do with it? I have no where near crashed this thing other than the semi hard landing while indoors.

RC poster
    I picked up 4 of these for $15 shipped. I just had to solder on the existing wires. Dropped right. Shipping took about 15 days.
    http://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-WL...8-p-61085.html

RC Racer
    I think that's the best bang for the buck right now. People have been happy with them. The new Traxxas motors are somewhat unproven as yet, and lots pricier if you have to buy them. You can also get the Micro Motor pieces, sometimes with pinions, but he doesn't have plug and play motors with connectors quite yet. But he's working on them.

Things are getting better.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Double G View Post
    I ordered from him a few weeks ago when they came back in stock (for a couple days) and I got my order last week (two weeks after placing order) without pinions, wires half the length and no harness and no holes (if I recall) on top. Have had no need to replace the ones in my Alias yet so I cannot comment on the performance. Maybe the extra $12 for the stock plug-and-play Traxxas motors would be worth it.
    I think so. Though I have the skills to modify the off-brand motors, I'm not really in the mood to fool around with 'em.

When TRAXXAS brand motors became available, I ordered them and installed them. Since then, I've put several battery packs through my Alias, both indoors and outdoors. So far, so good.

I have a set of the V959 motors ready to go but the set Traxxas sent me have been going strong for about two months now so when they do need to be replaced I am going to be tempted to use the second set of stock motors I have on hand rather then the V959. At this point I just dont know what to think about all the motor complaints. I had two fail in proximately a month but since then the stock motors have been very good for me. The LHS has a demo they got when the Alias first came out that is still flying on the original motors as well.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Competitor
    Hmmm . . . it would appear that TRAXXAS has indeed taken note of the complaints about the motors.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by dtbrown View Post
    I picked up 4 of these for $15 shipped. I just had to solder on the existing wires. Dropped right. Shipping took about 15 days.
    http://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-WL...8-p-61085.html
    Forgive me I am new to quads. If I order these I need CW and CCW to order 2 of each wire type as they dont list them as CW/CCW?

Quote Originally Posted by drunkenmugsy View Post
    Forgive me I am new to quads. If I order these I need CW and CCW to order 2 of each wire type as they dont list them as CW/CCW?
    Yes, you'll need two of each.

Quote Originally Posted by Winder-388thVFW View Post
    Hmmm . . . it would appear that TRAXXAS has indeed taken note of the complaints about the motors.
    There are employees that monitor the forums and it would be bad practice to see the complaints here and not do anything about it. One reason for the forum is to get all of us together to discuss our toys and another is for Traxxas to review complaints about their product and make changes as they see fit.
    The Super Derecho

RC poster
    I just ordered a set because three sets of the original have gone bad; let than one hour in the air.

I hope they are better.

I know the Alias is up for a lot more than what I've seen so far, or hope so anyway.

Gary

RC poster
    After again having motors go out I ordered some of these since the Traxxas ones were unavailable. Kinda excited to see how these perform.

RC poster
    The motors with pinions and plugs are still out of stock.

I got 4 without, and I can't get the pinions off the old motors... I tried heating them up, but that just melted the plastic parts on the old motors and they came apart... unfortunately with the pinion still firmly attached to the shaft.

FRUSTRATING... approximately 10 flights in 2 months' time, and gone through 5 motors already.

RC poster
    MMW as of now has motors with pinions and connectors in packages of 8 in stock in the US warehouse.

RC poster
    Got mine today, installed them and the Alias is back up in the air. I read some reviews where people had said these motors are faster. I dunno about that, the quad pretty much handles the same. A bit quieter probably due to the nylon gears. I will have to see if flight time is reduced or improved with a fresh pack. Flips indoors seem to have the exact same recovery time. So if these motors outlast the stock ones it's a vast improvement.

RC poster
    Flight times roughly the same. Honestly I don't think these motors spool up as fast as the ones factory equipped. Some lag time of getting over it, a wobble here or there or direction change unintended in a an enclosed space after flip or series of flips. See how long they last... All working after 8 packs through...

RC poster
    I just installed a set today after one of my stock motors dies after 20 flights. They seem to have more power. Not much but enough to tell the difference.

The specs on their web site say they are only good for 5-6 hours. Not much of an improvement, if any. Time will tell. This $150 quad is no longer a good deal. These tiny brushed motors are just not going to last long. Just a bad design because it has to turn up to such a high RPM.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 06-18-2014 at 05:14 PM.

RC Qualifier
    just ordered a set of 8. oh good another $$$ pit LOL

RC poster
    The best motors for the Alias are from Micro Motor Warehouse. They are fast en very stable! If will buy again! But the Alias will be faster and faster is not whit out consequenses.

RC Qualifier
    just got mine, pretty fast shipping, let U know how they perform when I install em.

RC Qualifier
    Ok I got em installed, they drop right in no problems at all. The wires are a BIT shorter than traxxas but not a problem.

Found out that I have a bent shaft so no test flight outside yet.

RC Qualifier
    OK in my humble opinion. Don't notice a diferance in sound from the plastic pinions. Think there is a noticeable LOSS of power, before if flying indoors a wrong look at the throttle would put U into the ceiling. Now its a LOT more forgiving. This is a problem when coming DOWN from high altitudes, takes a while to recover ...... I have inadvertantly done a touch and go several times now due to lack of power. Battery run time does seem to be extended slightly.

If they LAST I am happy w em.

Quote Originally Posted by knall View Post
    If they LAST I am happy w em.
    Quoted from their site:
    [quote=Micro Motor Warehouse]factory lifetime rating: 5-6 hours[/url]

To keep it easy, if a pack lasts 10 minutes...expect 30-36 packs.
    The Super Derecho

RC Qualifier
    [QUOTE=Double G;5726099]Quoted from their site:
    Quote Originally Posted by Micro Motor Warehouse
    factory lifetime rating: 5-6 hours[/url]

To keep it easy, if a pack lasts 10 minutes...expect 30-36 packs.
    Does traxxas have a lifetime rating?

RC Qualifier
    Im still on all 4 of my original motors, I definitely have more than 36 packs through mine.
    I have 4 batteries and run back to back whenever the weather is nice and im in my yard.
    I would say this past weekend alone I ran about 16 packs through my Alias.

Based on these forums I cannot believe its still working like the first time I opened the box.
    Traxxas please sell kits!

RC Racer
    [QUOTE=knall;5726263]
    Quote Originally Posted by Double G View Post
    Quoted from their site:

Does traxxas have a lifetime rating?
    one of the Traxxas employees stated early on in the forum that the Traxxas motors were good for 35-50 flights. that may or may not be different now with these different motors?

Quote Originally Posted by Racer83L View Post
    Im still on all 4 of my original motors, I definitely have more than 36 packs through mine.
    I have 4 batteries and run back to back whenever the weather is nice and im in my yard.
    I would say this past weekend alone I ran about 16 packs through my Alias.

Based on these forums I cannot believe its still working like the first time I opened the box.
    my first set of original motors got 59. my second set got 48. in both cases only one motor failed. my 959's had 70 flights before I retired them. the 959's were all working, and flying ok, but just not as strong on stunt recovery as I like. I now have first run traxxas motors in both and one more spare set of them to fly through.
    Think YELLOW Traxxas, please make a YELLOW Alias.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogers View Post
    The best motors for the Alias are from Micro Motor Warehouse. They are fast en very stable! If will buy again! But the Alias will be faster and faster is not whit out consequenses.

Broke mine in the same spot, used 1 wrap of electrical tape to fix it long enough for a new frame to show up. It flies so well I havent bothered replacing the frame. Even though I now have a new one sitting in front of me.

RC poster

Thumbs up

I think you saved much money!

RC poster
    To get your Alias back in the air, just go too: http://micro-motor-warehouse.com/products/cl-0820-15

And order some of these motors. They are designed to fit right into the alias. I have put these in mine and they are amazing. The power and speed is even better and so is the batterie life. I have 125 flights and not one problem AT ALL. I have crashed It many times.
    So just stop wondering what to do and do something that makes a difference. Try these for a change! :-)

I am considering buying an Alias and was wondering how long the black version motors from MMWarehouse last before one must start replacing them too?

Quote Originally Posted by Deepvee View Post
    I am considering buying an Alias and was wondering how long the black version motors from MMWarehouse last before one must start replacing them too?
    The expected lifetime is listed on their site.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =