RC Competitor

What brought you to RC?

I am curious how people found out about RC. Like they didn't know it existed until they found out. I just want to know how people found out about it. Here I go:

My family and me were traveling. Windows rolled down. Then we here this loud whine. We saw that it was RC trucks, racing around a figure 8 track. Of course we pulled over and watched. I was so fascinated. About a week later, I saw another RC race but on a proper on-road racetrack. One of the racers there owned a RC store. The next weekend, I was blowing $850 on my first truck. A Summit.

I have only been in the hobby for 5 years unlike most of ya'll.
    If parts ain't flyin', you ain't tryin'

RC Champion
    I was trying to learn how radios work and I found an ad. About 5 years later I have 2 rc cars and I still don't fully understand how radios work. (:
    1:16 Slash VXL
    Stampede 4x4 3800kv
    Rustler VXL

RC Champion
    Bought a Radio Shack Carnivore 4WD truck 12 years ago. It was fun but the slow speed and short run times made me want to someday explore hobby grade trucks. About 3 years ago I bought a Rustler new. Now I have the Rustler, Stampede and Slash for 2WD trucks, two 1/10 Summits and a 1/16 Summit. Love the hobby!
    What broke, uh, needs upgrading now?

RC Qualifier
    I got a pro .15 t-maxx when I was like 7 for Christmas. Now im 19 and have had 6 different traxxas rc's. Now have one jato two Latrax Tetons
    Twin Brushless Latrax Teton, .21TM Jato

I am a geek...

Always have been interested, about 10+ years ago I finally got to the point where I could aford a hobby-grade RC.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    Jan/ Feb 2011 Monster Jam at the Reliant Stadium, Houston Texas. I'm like a HUGE Grave Digger Fan. I saw this Traxxas Monster Jam Grave Digger and I had to have one. So within a week or so made an order and its been downhill ever since (in a good way). I've always had a fascination with RCs. Just in the past nothing ever Hobby grade. Over the years i purchased what I thought were good (Nikko & Radio Shack). 13 or so models later and I wouldnt call this an obsession of any sort.

What makes this hobby all the more fun is my little guy that has fun building and bashing with me. Just last the wife and him were sleeping and my 2yr old daughter staying up with me helping me wrench on my truck. She is such a doll. She would watch what I was doing and she'd grab one of the tools and help me. Reminds me of when my little guy did the same thing at around the same age. I love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

oh, and i'm a G E E K to GreatScott!!

Next time i'll upload a pic of her helping.

This is of her a year or so ago.

...and one of her many moons ago, her first obsession with the. haha
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Qualifier
    I saw a could guys with 4x4 slashes and a nitro rustler, seeing something fly 40+ mph draws attention quite fast I now have a 2wd stampede and have a wish list well into the thousands very slowly checking stuff of that list

RC Enthusiast
    I needed something to keep me busy in my free time, and also needed something that wont kill the budget. So I did some looking on-line and decided to go with a nitro rc truck. Ive been very happy with this hobby, its got enough to keep me interested without needing to drop 4 or 5 hundred dollars for just a couple parts.

RC Champion
    Child hood memories. Grew up with all buddies that had rc cars so I got one too back then. Never faded away , but now that I have kids (three boys to be precise)of my own, revived the old hobby and showing them here and there, sharing these aw some pleasures.
    Your work hard so might as well play hard too, on something that you enjoy...
    Last edited by Jezza; 04-06-2014 at 12:49 PM.
    Live life to the fullest

RC Champion
    My father was into C/L airplanes back in the 60's and 70's and he got me started back then with the planes when I was young. We progressed to r/c planes in the early 80's and then I got into ground based in the mid 80's with my first Tamiya's and Kyosho's, Its been ugly ever since.
    Maxx3.3/ rusty5700/ slash3800/ slash5700 /4tec3.3

RC Racer
    my dad bought a tmaxx pro .15 in 2001 and broke it in and stopped using it 12 years later i found it in the garage and asked if i could fix it up. a few months later it stopped working and i bought my 1/16 e revo vxl
    2001 tmaxx, 2012 1/16 erevo vxl

RC poster
    First I got really fascinated with toy grade rcs then while watching you-tube vids I stumbled across a slash. I was 10 at hte time and just had to have one. So me and my dad went to the local track on a Sunday. Then while I was watching some racers drive there losi 10s my dad walked over to me and told me he had found a guy who was willing to sell. my heart started beating faster than the rpm of a velinion motor. Eventually I tried his Bandit I immediately fell in love with it, because it had more power than anything I had driven in my life! blah blah blah, I came home my mom asked my dad how much it cost he said 250. Then she had an argument with him while I tried to explain to my sister why she didn't get one. Since then I am still driving the same bandit, well of course its all hoped up.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. humayrayakongkinaon's Avatar
    Mine was short and simple, I walk into a grocery store, at their magazine isle I saw the front cover RC magazine, flip few pages and that was it, I'm hooked ever since, that was back in '97.

sent via Samsung Galaxy LIGHT using tapatalk
    | Rally GT8 Powered By CC | BackSl4sh Roadrunner |

I've yet to meet a young boy who sees nitro R/C vehicles in action and doesn't immediately want one.

RC Champion
    Guilty as charged.... I'm not young or a boy but I sure as heck acted like a child in the candy store when I first happened to come across a track.
    Revo 2.5 upgraded to 3.3.

RC Qualifier
    Eh, the way I started was with toy store grade rc's(all have ended in the trash). Except for one that I loved to pieces, it was called the gyro max by team edge. It was so fast, it could do tricks cause it had tank skids steer wheels, and it was by far the most well built toy grade rc I had, the way my 2nd one died was that horrible day when it got taken out of my closet(my secret star of tons of rc stuff and other things hobby related) and it was thrown away in perfectly working condition! I had it for over 2yrs and it worked so great!! I only discovered the hobby grade rc stuff by like 5th or 6th grade(about 10-11yrs old). My first hbby grade rc was a HPI baja 5b clone by king motor! Still more to the long story, but that's most of it

RC Champion
    It was December 2011 and I was getting my oil changed at the Ford dealership. In the merchandise case was a Traxxas F150 Raptor. I called the wife up to "ask" her permission to get it and the rest is history.
    Pro-2 SCB 2xSuperMaxx Revo-E SCT410

Had the old electrics as a kid, brushed w/NiCd was all there was for electric & we had a blast running them into the ground.

Later in life after finding out the hard way my body was in fact NOT 10ft tall & bulletproof & would stay in prime shape no matter what I did to it, I needed a low impact hobby(since dirt bikes & 4 wheelers were & are off limits) I bought 2 of the then "New" 2.5 "WideMaxx" T Maxx's(I waited an extra month to get newest instead of the older pro .15 maxx).

Over a decade later & more cash spent then I care to think about, I can say I(& wife) am just as hooked now as I was then.

There's nothing better then Me & the Wife out on a weekend burning through a gallon or 2 of fuel & having a blast doing so.
    Look out for the tree/crunch!

LiPo? Naw NITRO!!

RC Qualifier
    I was always into RCs as a kid because my dad had a big hobby grade truck just laying around that he never used, but I was fascinated by it. He would never get me a hobby grade one so I always got radioshack or toys r us ones that broke real quick and couldn't be fixed. Well it lay dormant for awhile till I was older and own my own and working and I was talking to my fiances dad about all that and he said he would buy one for me since my dad never did lol. A couple weeks later I walked out of the LHS with a brand new OFNA Blazer SST(9.5 Violator). I loved it so much but didn't really get into the nitro side of it. I got a cheaper 5th scale and had a BLAST with that but could only get upgrades from overseas so whenever it broke I had nothing to run. That is when my addiction REALLY started. I picked up a used slash 2wd on ebay in a real good deal and I fell in love with electric. I'm now up to 11 RCs and I still want MOAR! Any time I can I'm out running with my fiance when she can, and a few friends when they are around, great times!
    2x 2wd Slash|Slash 4x4 PE|MM E-Revo|Grave Digger

RC Champion
    Saw a video of a revo 3.3 crawling stairs and had to have something that could do that.
    Slash 4x4 built from Proline RPM STRC TRX and MIP