RC poster

Jato vs Rusty for jumping

There isn't a place to post to just ask about more than one vehicle so I guess I will post in this thread.

Little background--have a Slash and an E-Revo Brushless.

Anyway I am learning 2 things so far. I love jumping and hate waiting for batteries to recharge(I use 6 right now).

I am looking at the Jato and Rustler Nitro. Money is not really a concern, but I would like a durable truck cause I am over seas and it takes FOREVER for replacement parts to get mailed.

So I would like a truck that is great at getting huge air and durable enough to survive the landings.

From the looks of it, both weigh fairly close and have same ground clearance- from what I can tell from pictures that is.

Wondering what are the opinions out there before I make a decision--not really swaying either way yet.

Thanks in advance!

Dirt

RC Qualifier
    They both weigh about the same, within a half pound or so. They're both made out of the same materials in the same places, Aluminum chassis' and plastic everything else and are similar designs. So their durability is also very similar, except the Rustler's transmission has steel gears(all but the idler gear)and the Jato's trans has plastic gears. Between the two I prefer the Jato mainly because it's a lot faster and I think it handles a bit better too. The Jato comes with a 3.3 and a 2-speed transmission, where as the Rustler has a 2.5 and a 1-speed. How an RC truck stands up to jumps depends more on how you land than anything else. Try to land on all fours while making sure you let off the throttle a little right as it hits the ground and they'll survive it just about every time.

RC Qualifier
    As Mark ball stated, it really depends on how you land. Landing on all fours will distribute the force to all four shocks for maximum dampening. I prefer the jato, it's faster. Also which ever you choose, get RPM a-arms in all 4 corners. I've broken a lot of stock a-arms and only 2 RPM ones. Very very good product. Also a upper top plate brace is a good upgrade. The plastic top plate breaks all the time. Also I find it way better to drive to lock the rear diff, however you will need to upgrade to metal driveshafts because the stock ones will break. Jatos can't brake to save their lives, the dual hot racing brake set up is a must. One more thing, the anaconda tires are junk. No grip on asphalt, no grip anywhere.
    Twin Brushless Latrax Teton, .21TM Jato

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt55 View Post
    hate waiting for batteries to recharge(I use 6 right now)
    Sounds like you need a better charge system!
    Or possibly better batteries...

Running 1 RC with 2 sets of packs would keep me RC'n all day long... no waiting. While 1 set is charging, the other set is being used.
    Whatever it is I just typed... could be wrong.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Neutron View Post
    Sounds like you need a better charge system!
    Or possibly better batteries...

Running 1 RC with 2 sets of packs would keep me RC'n all day long... no waiting. While 1 set is charging, the other set is being used.
    Unless he's using Nicads or NiMH. Quick-charging those is the fastest way to kill them known. If the peak slope detection on your charger isn't JUST right, and if the cells are not matched… You'll kill one in short order and the pack is toast.

The Litco Alpha 4 is one of the best-ever NiCad/NiMH chargers; I still have two of them, even though I'm mainly doing lipos now on a HiTec X4AC. The A4 has an "advanced peak detector" charge rate that is a lot kinder than the fast rate… but still takes a couple of hours.

I bought two 2S 5400 20C lipos for my Rustler, and you're right; those things run for a long time, especially at the relatively sedate rate I drive.

If the OP has six lipos and not enough drive time, they must be awful small…

RC poster
    Well I went with the Rustler. Mainly because it was less expensive and smaller engine. This is my first Nitro so I figured start with thats not skill 5. Want to see if I like the Nitro's over the Electric. If I like the engine one a ton better, later I will look into the Jato or Slash. I did see a Jato in action, I am not to that skill level yet. From what I have been reading, I should be happy with starting out with the Rusty.

Thanks for the inputs.

PS. my six batteries are NiMH. 2 5000 mah and 4 3000 mah. I just sold my E-Revo though.

RC poster
    Nitro has one big advantage; as long as you have fuel and your TX/RX batteries are holding, you can play. No waiting for a stick to re-charge, etc. But that's about it, IMO.

BTDT. When I decided to get another surface vehicle, I didn't even consider wet power. They get incredibly dirty/nasty, from the exhaust residue. Also, the small engines are very easy to burn up if you're not careful. One lean run and the piston/liner will need replacing. One VERY lean run and might as well trash the whole engine. Suggest you buy a quart of AAA castor oil, and add one ounce to every gallon of fuel. Increases the mess, decreases the chance of a lean run.

They can be a pain to tune. This depends on a lot of factors, I'm not familiar with the Traxxas engines.

Its all good… each has its advantages and disadvantages. Enjoy your new ride.

Last edited by cooleocool; 04-13-2014 at 09:33 AM. Reason: Inappropriate acronym.

RC poster
    Yeah, thats why I went with the less expensive Rusty. If I really prefer the Nitro engines in the end, I will invest in a nicer one. If not I will go back to electric motors. But right now I have one of each. I guess I will soon find out which one I run more.

Thanks for the imputs.