RC Racer

best bang for buck lipo charger

i want a lipo charger will be using 2 cell and 3 cell lipos so my question is what is the cheapest but good quality lipo charger that would charge in an hour or less? thanks all Timmy.

RC Champion
    it all depends on the size of lipos and max charge rate. You can charge a 20000mah lipo in half an hour with the powerfull chargers, or you can charge 2500mah lipo in half an hour with the low power chargers.
    Guide books aren't part of the packaging.

RC Champion
    I can charge at 40 amps with my powerlab 6. Way overkill. If you just have a mini then a triton eq would work. Otherwise go with a thunder power charger.
    1:16 Slash VXL
    Stampede 4x4 3800kv
    Rustler VXL

RC Enthusiast
    Thunder ac6 about $40. Wont charge at high ups - no more than 5 amps - but for these RC thats all you need.

Quote Originally Posted by bbking9 View Post
    Thunder ac6 about $40. Wont charge at high ups - no more than 5 amps - but for these RC thats all you need.
    Disagree. You need a machine that will charge correctly, not a $50 battery cooker. The AC6 has been the cause of more LiPo failures than any other charger I know.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Enthusiast
    I got the IMAX B6 on eBay $20 shipped. Only negative bout dat charger is dat it don't come with wall plug. I used my old direct tv 12v plug adapter... but other then dat it has work tremendously for me.. I got the traxxas plug for it for $5 @ my LHS.. best deal for a balancing charger I've seen so far.. takes 55 mins for my 3s lipos to fully charge and 65 mins for my 2s lipos.. me personally im to scared to charge lipos without balancing them... there r major risk if u dont balance charge lipos..
    Last edited by Shepdizzle20; 04-01-2014 at 06:33 AM.

RC Champion
    I always balance charge. My charger doesn't give me an option!
    1:16 Slash VXL
    Stampede 4x4 3800kv
    Rustler VXL

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    Disagree. You need a machine that will charge correctly, not a $50 battery cooker. The AC6 has been the cause of more LiPo failures than any other charger I know.
    I disagree. Had one a long time. Never any hint of a problem EVER. I dont ty to comment on items I dont own.. But I do own an AC6. They are awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by bbking9 View Post
    I disagree. Had one a long time. Never any hint of a problem EVER. I dont ty to comment on items I dont own.. But I do own an AC6. They are awesome.
    There are many reports all over the internet of this charger damaging batteries. Most people dont even realize the problems as often times the damage is not catastrophic like a lipo fire but more often just shortened battery life and batteries that do not perform to their true potential performance wise. IMO a decent quality lipo charger is going to run you ~ $100. Something like the Traxxas EZ Peak Plus is a good entry level quality charger that is not likely to damage your lipos or give you poor performance.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Racer
    i will say i dont want entry level i have had lipos in the past and will be looking into a used charger pm me if one is for sale and i will research it here before i buy thanks timmy

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    In my opinion:

Choice 1) EZPeak+. 6 amps, reliable, great customer support. $75ish
    Choice 2) Hyperion 0730i + power supply. 30 amps, reliable, great value per watt. $130ish

Both of these chargers will safely charge more than 1 pack at a time too... either with the Traxxas dual charge board or a BuddyRC (EPBuddy) ParaBoard.

A friend of mine did not heed my warnings and bought a cheap-o $50 cooker. It seemed to work fine... until it overcharged and ruined $120 worth in packs. So, instead of buying the "expensive" charger up front for $75-130 he ended up spending $300 on new packs, a new charger, and everything he spent before on the old stuff.
    In short, cheap chargers are expensive.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Dadx2mj View Post
    There are many reports all over the internet of this charger damaging batteries. Most people dont even realize the problems as often times the damage is not catastrophic like a lipo fire but more often just shortened battery life and batteries that do not perform to their true potential performance wise. IMO a decent quality lipo charger is going to run you ~ $100. Something like the Traxxas EZ Peak Plus is a good entry level quality charger that is not likely to damage your lipos or give you poor performance.
    Unfortunately, I don't have to go to the internet to see the carnage caused by that charger. I've held the damage in my hands.
    [Edit: the cost of the damaged packs would have paid for a quality charger.]

So in general...do you ever want to buy a device that might not damage your property or one that definitely will not damage your property?
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 04-01-2014 at 11:14 AM.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Champion
    I have to admit the first charger i bought was common spec'd at that time. I come from electrical background and thought there's nothing different from this charger to the next, only a big difference in price, The brand is also a decent battery manufacturer, with not many, if any complains.
    To my surprise after a few charges, two batteries ruined.
    Then i bought a much more expensive charger exact same specs, very good and reliable, then realised it was under powered for my needs.
    Then come along my last purchase, a PL8. Then you realize anything else just isn't worth wasting money on.
    Having a good warranty is good, But having great support from the engineers and beta testers is priceless.
    Guide books aren't part of the packaging.

RC Champion
    Whatever you do get a charger that has storage mode. Some of the lesser ones don't.
    All those who believe psychokinesis raise my hand

RC Enthusiast
    There are all kinds of reason people have problems with chargers or lipos or - you name it. User error many times.
    I can only go by my experience. New users to RCs come in on a lot of forums and are led to believe certain things are good nd certain things are bad. I guess we all have our own opinions and I stand by mine. AC6 +++ Best value charger I have ever owned.

RC Qualifier
    I would agree that probably 90% of lipo problems a simply user errors. Too low LVC on the ESC, deep discharged, unbalanced cells, poblematic solder jobs then trying to charge it up, you name it.

Regarding the B6 chargers, they definitely have some merit being funky sometimes.
    Its a very popular charger (design) here in europe an everyone and their mother got a least one.

Problem is: There are genuine IMAX B6 AC and non-AC chargers and legit clones (licensed design) that are supposed to be quite decent and inexpensive.
    And then there are a lot of cheaper, non-genuine copies on the market with way lower quality. They use the same circuit but lower quality components and left out a few entirely. These a known to be not so good.

AFAIK both versions are not distinguishable from the outside, you have to look at the PCB, which will probably void the warranty..

I too have made good experiences with a genuine B6 AC. It isnt the most powerful charger on the planet, but the balancer is quite good.

If you happen to live in europe: the Yuki Karate Blood is currently the hot ticket here.
    Its a 100W/7A dual power charger. Runs for ~50€ on european ebay sites.
    Not sure if its sold in the states too.
    Last edited by CMD-J; 04-01-2014 at 05:13 PM. Reason: typo

RC Qualifier
    I love my Traxxas EZPEAK + it's my first lipo charger and it's been great. I got the dual board with it. And 2 SPC 2s 2500 mah packs about $150.00 for everything.
    Those who forfeit liberty 4 security get neither