RC poster

Sand in the gearbox

I have recently bought a Teton. It's a nice little truck, but I keep getting tiny pieces of sand in the pinion/spur area that always seem to get into the teeth and then cause a clicking sound while slowly destroying the spur and pinion teeth. It's easy to get it out of the teeth, but it gets tiring to continually do that. I drive in fairly sandy conditions as the off-road conditions around where I live just are sandy--nothing I can do about it.

Does anyone have a suggested mod about how to better seal that rear gearbox? I suspect it must be getting in through extra space where the center drive shaft enters through.

(FYI, to run my slash 4x4 in these same conditions I have to use the proline overtray and the aluminum tube drive shaft mod to keep enough sand out of the center area so I don't have to clean it out every 5 minutes. I was hoping something similar would be found for the Teton.)

RC Enthusiast
    Mabye a rubber seal.. I have no problems like that make sure it's tightened down

RC poster
    Is there a seal for the gear box? I have had the same issue twice in the first thee runs of the battery. A clicking noise coming from the gear box and it turned out to be a small rock. It takes a good while to get in there to clean it (at least for me) and I don't want to have to keep doing that every time I use the truck.
    Other then that, it seems to be awesome!

RC Competitor
    I noticed the same thing on the first time I took the truck apart. To see if the sand was indeed coming in through the center drive shaft opening, I sealed the back with tape. It did help keep sand out, so some sort of a seal is what you need.

Here's a pic of what I did:
    Last edited by Wolfpaw; 07-19-2014 at 05:16 AM.
    ---
    LaTrax Teton
    Thunder Tiger Phoenix STII

RC poster
    Haha nice! Well I broke down and did the same thing. I also put a cardboard cut out that fit in front of the gear box because I figured the dust was coming in through there.

RC poster
    This is how I fixed my gearbox "leak". It's pretty obvious were the sand and debris gets in. Just look at the big gap between the mainshaft and the housing.

I put a piece of siliconehose on the main shaft so it barely touches the housing. Should keep most of the debris out.

Last edited by sierra94; 07-27-2014 at 02:56 PM.