RC Competitor

Stock motor = Castle 4100kv motor, same speed??

Hi all,

Just got myself a blue Teton with 2s lipo... It is so FUN to drive this little monster outside the house.

I am looking to upgrade to brushless setup. Am having a hard time to decide Castle 0808 4100kv or 5300kv motor.

Anyone bros here installed the 4100kv, please advise is the overall speed same, slower or faster than the STOCK motor? both 2s lipo

I am happy with the current performance of STOCK motor with 2s lipo... I want something that is as fast as the stock and cooler motor. Am afraid the 4100kv 2s is slower than the STOCK, i really don't know...

RC Racer
    I have the 4100kv 0808 motor from mamba. I still run it on the stock battery and it seems just a hair faster and the torque is just insanely high. The mamba motor will barely get warm with bashing the Teton. Top speed is too easily reached with the 4100kv and it is controllable. I feel like I need to gear up with the latrax rally's larger pinion.
    This is just my personal opinion, but if you like a little more speed with stock gearing, 5300kv. If you are needing instant torque because of small track and lots of jumps (small runway before a jump) then 4100kv. With the 4100kv I snapped my driveshaft trying to do a wheelie on grass. The torque was strong with 4100kv.

RC Qualifier
    I like the 5300kv one. Before when I only had one it was instant power, plenty of torque to pop wheelies and break driveshafts. Also the top speed was higher, obviously haha.
    Twin Brushless Latrax Teton, .21TM Jato

RC Competitor
    Thanks bro jack, i like the idea of 4100kv which is on par with stock motor speed as well as cool running motor.

Bro Dura, how is your 5300kv motor temp? Are you still using the stock batt or 2s lipo? No harm having a little more top speed... I have been into 3s and high kv motor in my old 10 scale 2wd truck, it is speed devil but I got bore out real quick as it speed is way to fast too enjoy some fun bashing.

RC Qualifier
    I run 2s lipos, I run the 14 tooth pinion for even more speed. When I ran one 5300 kv motors temps never got hot enough where I couldn't hold my finger on it. It stayed very cool. Though I never have gotten to run a full back through my truck because it just snapped stock driveshafts like it a nothing. I think my longest runtime is about 2 minutes running hard. And then I ran for 20 minutes driving it like a fragile flower so I wouldn't break anything and temps never got hot. You'll be happy with whatever you choose. So much more power
    Twin Brushless Latrax Teton, .21TM Jato

RC Competitor
    Now I am confuse!!!!! 4100kv same speed huge torque gonna break drive shaft. 5300kv good top speed lesser torque also breaking drive shaft... In a state of confusion land... lol

RC Competitor
    Any links of mamba 4100kv and 5300kv 2s/stock batt videos?

RC Racer
    Both are similar in speed. The kv rating isn't so far off from each other. I am guessing you can get similar speed and torque messing with gear ratios. With the 5300kv u wouldn't have to get a larger pinion like I do with my 4100kv. The truck is so light that you really don't need the extra torque with the 4100kv, but that's my opinion. If I had to do it again I would try the 5300kv. More speed without the wasted extra torque that will never be needed.

RC Racer
    But I got the 4100kv because I wanted a bulletproof motor that can withstand bashing, I was contempt with the stock speed. With 4100kv I didn't have to worry about the motor getting hot. I too was very curious, but you can't really go wrong with either, just remember to feather the throttle until you can put some aluminum driveshafts in

RC Competitor
    Thanks Jack!!! you guys are great advisers! Seem like my 1st choice will be the 5300kv...