RC Racer

from stoked-extremely happy but one question please LOOK

im so impressed by the looks of this truck cant wait to run it tomorrow but my team associated shims came in today but my diff oil did not if i put the shims in do i absolutely need the diff oil? or can that wait i have never ever had to touch the diffs on any of my traxxas models only my tt-01 tamiya all help is appreciated thanks also hoping for a quick response which you all have for my thanks sorry if there is poor grammar typed super fast SO HAPPY right know!! thanks traxxas and all for your HELP!!

RC Competitor
    No need for diff oil to shim, just nice to top the diff off while you have it out of the bulkhead. Personally, I'd break it down twice, it's all in the fun of knowing and working on your vehicle

RC Competitor
    The diff oil isn't a necessity. You can shim your MERV and not do the oil. Just make sure you don't put too many shims in it to the point it binds up.

RC Racer
    thats what i was thinking will be taking apart tonite and adding diff oil when i get it in thanks guy new to the diff stuff peace Timmy also will be posting picks soon

shimmed my fronjt diff last night with 2 shims doesnt seem right when i spin the wheels its feels loose then grinds is this normal?
    Last edited by cooleocool; 03-27-2014 at 09:25 AM. Reason: merge

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by timmy t-maxx View Post
    shimmed my fronjt diff last night with 2 shims doesnt seem right when i spin the wheels its feels loose then grinds is this normal?
    some slight grinding isnt a huge deal but i would take 1 shim out and see how it feels then. when i shimmed mine i put 2 in the front, when i shimmed my girlfriends i only put 1, hers doesnt make any noise and has had no issues where as mine did grind a tiny bit but has gone away after a few packs run through it.

RC Racer
    it doesnt have much binding but i can definately feel it so ill take one out also how often do i need to shim just once or many times?

RC Competitor
    it doesnt have much binding but i can definately feel it so ill take one out also how often do i need to shim just once or many times?
    you'll only need to do it once, unless for some other reason you replace your diffs.

RC Racer
    ok sweet makes me happy should i use two or just one?

RC Competitor
    ok sweet makes me happy should i use two or just one?
    try one, see if the grinding goes away. if there is any "chatter" it should be very very minimal so 2 may be too many.

RC Racer
    ok will check it out today thanyou for the quick replies!

RC Competitor
    ok will check it out today thanyou for the quick replies!
    not a problem at all. glad to help!

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    Shimming should be done initially to check and then again after a few packs once the gears break in. I have had diffs only take 1 shim new and then another 2 after 10 packs or so.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Racer
    so i should be ok with the 2 shims in the front? the tires spin then catch the spin again

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    It is hard to tell without feeling it myself... but that sounds like what my diffs felt like after shimming; free in all but one spot for a few teeth.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Racer
    i think ill be ok then its not tight just seems to bind in that one area
    allis done thankyou for all the help peace guys doing first run omorrow afternoon!

RC Enthusiast
    i think ill be ok then its not tight just seems to bind in that one area
    allis done thankyou for all the help peace guys doing first run omorrow afternoon!
    Mine grabbed in one spot as well in the rear and smoothed out after a couple of packs.

RC Racer
    my rear is very smooth with a little drag buy the front grabs

RC Racer
    i will say this not banging traxxas to the curb but somthing happened at the manufature i did fine a peice of metal in the rear diff so if i had run without shimming i could have messed up the gear mesh from that also it looked like a tooth so i checked dont know how it got there my truck was perfect! once again traxxas thankyou for making incredible, durable, great looking, and amazing performing vehicles! Traxxas is the best!

RC Enthusiast
    Use some periods. Kinda hard to grasp when everything is all run together.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Neutron View Post
    It is hard to tell without feeling it myself... but that sounds like what my diffs felt like after shimming; free in all but one spot for a few teeth.

Same here, Sometimes you get a few teeth that are not smooth, like they said,after a few packs it wears in.

I'll take tight over loose any day.