RC Racer

Received the EX Peak 6amp, have a question.

Charging the 3000mAh battery and selected 2.5amps and a 6mv delta peak sensitivity. I selected that based on what I've read, is that a good setting? I notice the Volt racing is saying around 9.5 or so, is that ok on a 8.4v battery?

What should I charge the 5000mAh battery at?

Thanks

RC Competitor
    The delta peak should be between 4-5mV per cell, lower is less likely to damage the battery. So a 6 cell pack would be 24mV-30mV for the delta. Lower delta peak value is also more likely to false peak though.

RC Racer
    the 3000mAh battery reached almost 3500 when the unit read Full. the battery was warm but not hot. Should I lower the delta peak to the lowest setting of 5mV?

Received the EX Peak 6amp, have a question.

Since the setting on this charger specifies millivolts per cell let's not confuse the issue with total millivolts. In the past people have set the delta peak setting to 24 or 30 mV and ruined their packs.
    The NiMH pack should get warm, but not hot.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Racer
    yeah ksb the Traxxas EX-Peak has a mV range of 5mV-20mV. Wondering if my setting of 6mV isn't right if i reached nearly 3500mAh

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    It is not uncommon for a newer pack to take more mAh than what is on the label.

I have not ran NiMH in forever, but if I remember right cells peak at around 1.4-1.5 volts... so multiply that by the amount of cells within the pack.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Neutron View Post
    It is not uncommon for a newer pack to take more mAh than what is on the label.

I have not ran NiMH in forever, but if I remember right cells peak at around 1.4-1.5 volts... so multiply that by the amount of cells within the pack.
    You can't reliably use the peak voltage value to determine if NiMH cells are charged. It is too affected by the IR of the cell. The lower the value when the cells peak is actually better because it is indicative of lower IR cells. It is a bit counter intuitive but the voltage when charging and discharging are two very different things.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboOptima View Post
    the 3000mAh battery reached almost 3500 when the unit read Full. the battery was warm but not hot. Should I lower the delta peak to the lowest setting of 5mV?
    I would set it as low as you can get a reliable peak. Lower it and if it charges fully you're golden.

Quote Originally Posted by patisnotageek View Post
    I would set it as low as you can get a reliable peak. Lower it and if it charges fully you're golden.
    I'm loving this advice.

RC Racer
    ok ill do that.

Lastly... if a NiMH battery sits for a few days after a full charge should i top it off before using or is that harmful to the battery?

You should top it off. It is not harmful to the battery.

RC Racer
    Great - thanks

RC Enthusiast
    So I have a question. Doesn't the battery charger set this automatically? If not what does it come set as a default?