RC Enthusiast

NiCD or NiMh batteries?

I know NiMh batteries last longer (and cost more) but the charging/discharging procedures are pretty complex. And if not done properly, can shorten battery life. Just wondering if NiCD batteries would last just as long with the simpler charging procedures for less cost.

Ummmm.... no.

NiMH are actually very cheap right now and charging them is very simple and no more complicated than charging a NiCD, and A LOT easier to charge than LiPos. NiCDs are actually harder to take care of than NiMH and will get a charge memory if not cycled properly. Plus, NiMHs come in higher current ratings.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Enthusiast
    I dunno, this looks pretty complicated to me: http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/a..._metal_hydride
    Last edited by chrysigon; 03-24-2014 at 11:56 PM.

The only thing that makes it more complex is how the software in the charger needs to be programed.

Set your charger for NiMH and the amps (mAh/1,000) and you are all set.
    Run your RC until it starts to slow and recharge after they cool.
    Keep them fully charged when not in use.

Not all that complex.
    Whatever it is I just typed... could be wrong.

RC Champion
    Can you still buy nicd batteries for rc? The capacity is VERY low compared to nimh batteries and getting rid of them is hard because they are toxic. Most chargers use the same setting for the two so charging them is no different other than nicd batteries would require a full discharge before charging.
    1:16 Slash VXL
    Stampede 4x4 3800kv
    Rustler VXL

Quote Originally Posted by chrysigon View Post
    I dunno, this looks pretty complicated to me: http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/a..._metal_hydride
    OK, good research here. But, like Jimmy said, the charger is doing most of the work for you, you just need to make sure that the charging is set to the right chemisty and the proprer amperage.

People normally don't mess NiMHs when charging, they normally mess them up when they are running them. During the run there will be a point were the RC's max speed drastically and suddenly drops, this happens when the pack 'dumps'. At this point you should stop the RC and pull the battery. A lot of people keep running the RC until it can no longer move, which over-discharges the pack and heats it up, a lot, both will kill your cells.

RC Enthusiast
    This the charger I have. Is it safe to say that to charge 3300Mah battery, I should charge it at 3.3 amps?

Can I splice two black and red wires to charge 2 batteries at once?
    Last edited by chrysigon; 03-25-2014 at 03:20 PM.

RC Champion
    It would have to be black to red for nimh batteries. They have to be connected in series.
    1:16 Slash VXL
    Stampede 4x4 3800kv
    Rustler VXL

RC Enthusiast
    OK, are you saying, one battery is red to red and black to black and the other one is red to black and black to red?

I advise against charging NiMH in series or parallel. There are already quite a few cells not being monitored individually with in 1 pack, let alone adding a whole slew of others with another pack. It is a good way to overcharge cells and permanently damage them.
    Whatever it is I just typed... could be wrong.

Now you are making in complicated. Again, agreeing with Jimmy, charge one at a time. Charging at 1C (3.3amps for a 3300mha pack) mathmatically will take an hour, but the actual time will be 40 - 50 minutes.

RC Qualifier
    Keep it simple ; charge one at a time. Since you leave them fully charged you can charge up several after you run for the next time. Don

RC Champion
    When I started in the hobby I ran NiMh for a while. Other than going brushless the best upgrade I ever made was switching to LiPo batteries.

I have heard that LiFe batteries are "safer" and charge faster than LiPo batteries, but have lower capacities than LiPo batteries. Just a thought.

The performance improvement from NiMh to LiPo is really incredible, though. Making the switch was worth every penny!
    What broke, uh, needs upgrading now?

RC Qualifier
    Now lipos are actually cheaper than nimh... Well worth the upgrade

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by rcnewbie1234 View Post
    Now lipos are actually cheaper than nimh... Well worth the upgrade
    I was a little intimidated by LiPos b4 I made the switch but with a little effort and care they are the best thing since sliced bread...

After I made the switch I only regretted the $ I spent on NiMh. But I never looked back!
    What broke, uh, needs upgrading now?