Thread: Antenna

RC Enthusiast

Antenna

I wanted to know if it is okay to shorten the antenna on the MERV to the inside of the vehicle, instead of having it outside too. Ive seen on a couple of pics of peoples MERV which have the antenna in the vehicle.
    Never underestimate lipo's

RC Competitor
    If it's an AM receiver antenna then the length has to be 24 inches. Shortening it will decrease reception - loss of signal at a distance.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    It doesn't matter what it is, no antenna can be shortened.

However; if you wish you may be able to coil the extra length into the receiver box to get the antenna below the body. Some have been able to do this without majorly effecting range, while others have not.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Champion
    I tried full extension and just under the body on a 2.4 TQ system. There was about a 20-30' difference in range between the two. Just my experience.
    All those who believe psychokinesis raise my hand

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzforbrains View Post
    I tried full extension and just under the body on a 2.4 TQ system. There was about a 20-30' difference in range between the two. Just my experience.
    i had the same issue with the TQ system. outside the body works fine, inside the body and the truck only goes about 50-60 ft and loses signal. i ugraded to the Spektrum DX3C which only has about 6" total of wire and it works amazing.

RC Competitor
    but the antenna always breaks out side of the body

I have my Fly Sky antenna's way below the body line... range is still out of sight even for my 8th scale RC's.

RC Enthusiast
    I sort of dont like the blue antenna flopping around as i drive.

RC poster
    Like jimmy said coil ur antenna wire into the rx case. I did dat after I ripped up my 2nd antenna tip by sliding upside down for bout 20 ft.. Mines works great. I still get near 100 yards. No more spending $30 on receivers for me. My antenna is secured inside the body.. cut urself a 2 inch antenna tube and just make it work from there..

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Shepdizzle20 View Post
    Like jimmy said coil ur antenna wire into the rx case. I did dat after I ripped up my 2nd antenna tip by sliding upside down for bout 20 ft.. Mines works great. I still get near 100 yards. No more spending $30 on receivers for me. My antenna is secured inside the body.. cut urself a 2 inch antenna tube and just make it work from there..
    is this with the out of the box TQ system? i had horrible range with mine when i tried to tuck it under the body. i tried a couple variations. first i just tucked the antenna under the body without shortening it (the tube) at all and ziptied it to the front body post. next i tried to shorten the tube and coil the antenna around the rx case, same result. very very decreased radio range. would putting in the case vs. outside the case have any affect?

RC poster
    I have the latest TQ system out the box.. I tried tucking the long antenna under the body b4 also. Dat decreased my range tremendously. Now dat im on my I 3rd reciever. I decided to stuff the receiver box wit the most of the wire and cut me 2in tube.. the antenna tip is bearly peaking out the top of the tube..
    Last edited by Shepdizzle20; 03-26-2014 at 10:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jason02ws6 View Post
    is this with the out of the box TQ system? i had horrible range with mine when i tried to tuck it under the body. i tried a couple variations. first i just tucked the antenna under the body without shortening it (the tube) at all and ziptied it to the front body post. next i tried to shorten the tube and coil the antenna around the rx case, same result. very very decreased radio range. would putting in the case vs. outside the case have any affect?
    Only the last ~3cm actually receives any signal. It does not matter what you do with the length of coaxial between the tip and the receiver box itself.

Range can be greatly effected by the "noise" in your area.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Neutron View Post
    Only the last ~3cm actually receives any signal. It does not matter what you do with the length of coaxial between the tip and the receiver box itself.

Range can be greatly effected by the "noise" in your area.
    i was in a large area with a couple soccer fields. no immediate antennas or anything, just lights and an electronic score board. ill try to tinker with it again and see if i get different results. the 100.00 i was going to spend on another radio system will be much better spent on other rc goodies if i can keep the TQ stuff in the truck.

Just for your information... I have been more than happy with my $50 Fly Sky GT3B. The newer GT3C even comes LiPo powered stock... they also have $25-30 2 channel systems that have great range. The GT3B/C has more features though...

If it comes to that.

RC Competitor
    wow 33.90 free shipping on ebay.... i may jump on that.

RC Enthusiast
    So overall after seeing the replies I should shorten the antenna under the body because it will cause range issues.

Some have, some have not. You can try it and find out without loosing anything but time.

RC Enthusiast
    oops! i wrote should instead of should not

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Neutron View Post
    Just for your information... I have been more than happy with my $50 Fly Sky GT3B. The newer GT3C even comes LiPo powered stock... they also have $25-30 2 channel systems that have great range. The GT3B/C has more features though...

If it comes to that.

Don't you have to use a cable to bind the receiver?

A bind plug, yes.
    One is included with the radio.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueFire View Post
    oops! i wrote should instead of should not
    BlueFire, if you're going to do speed runs or want to run your MERV from a long distance with the stock TQ systema, then don't cut the antenna tube. The range will be reduced.

In my case, I run my MERV within a 30m (90ft) radius and the shortened antenna tube (about 1.5 inches in length) works fine. I don't drive my MERV very far because I spend a lot of time on the lid anyways and I have to flip it back on its feet.

If you are weary about cutting the tube, then think about this: you'll only be cutting 2in from the tube to shorten it. If you change your mind, you'll still have the remainder of the tube to have almost a full length antenna tube to put it back again. So it's not a really big deal to give it a go to shorten the tube.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by jmlora View Post
    BlueFire, if you're going to do speed runs or want to run your MERV from a long distance with the stock TQ systema, then don't cut the antenna tube. The range will be reduced.

In my case, I run my MERV within a 30m (90ft) radius and the shortened antenna tube (about 1.5 inches in length) works fine. I don't drive my MERV very far because I spend a lot of time on the lid anyways and I have to flip it back on its feet.

If you are weary about cutting the tube, then think about this: you'll only be cutting 2in from the tube to shorten it. If you change your mind, you'll still have the remainder of the tube to have almost a full length antenna tube to put it back again. So it's not a really big deal to give it a go to shorten the tube.
    I think I'll shorten the tube an inch and see how it goes, if good, maybe another inch.

RC Competitor
    Strongly recommend as suggested before to coil the antenna.
    The length of the antenna is a function of the radio frequency.

RC Champion
    In my pede I have the entire antenna inside the receiver box without any problems.
    1:16 Slash vxl
    Stampede 4x4 3800kv
    Rustler vxl

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimdog View Post
    In my pede I have the entire antenna inside the receiver box without any problems.
    Do you drive your pede close to you or farther away?

RC Competitor
    would the spring antenna from the toys be good

RC Champion
    I can still get more range than I need. 300 feet or so is the farthest I have gone.
    Stampede 4x4 3800kv
    Rustler vxl

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimdog View Post
    I can still get more range than I need. 300 feet or so is the farthest I have gone.
    Tq or tqi?

RC Champion
    Fly sky. It has been a great controller.
    Stampede 4x4 3800kv
    Rustler vxl

RC Racer
    i like my spekrum controller
    Kyosho Inferno VE, Anza Slash, Rustler VXL

RC Competitor
    +1 flysky
    Only because it works long distance and is low cost. We got the complete radio for $30.

RC poster
    I am having a similar issue with my MERV. I have the newer model (MODEL 71074) and I hate that it has the long tube sticking out. I rolled the car a few times last week and lost the top plug, bent the tube a little bit etc. So last night, I cut the tube so that it barely peeks through the body. I will stop at the LHS this weekend and get a new top plug. Anyways, i wanted to test the range of the car before I look for a way to stash the excess wire. I had the receiver box unbolted last night but I wasn't sure if it was easy to pinch the wire hiding it inside, so I just bolted the cover back on for now.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by AH387 View Post
    I am having a similar issue with my MERV. I have the newer model (MODEL 71074) and I hate that it has the long tube sticking out. I rolled the car a few times last week and lost the top plug, bent the tube a little bit etc. So last night, I cut the tube so that it barely peeks through the body. I will stop at the LHS this weekend and get a new top plug. Anyways, i wanted to test the range of the car before I look for a way to stash the excess wire. I had the receiver box unbolted last night but I wasn't sure if it was easy to pinch the wire hiding it inside, so I just bolted the cover back on for now.
    Just coil it in the receiver box. The range will be less than when fully extended, but it may not impact you, depending on the area, EMF near you, etc.

RC Competitor
    I got the tqi from Dollar Hobbyz for about $45. I coil the antenna in the receiver box just enough so that the antenna is level with the body then I cut my blue tube to the height of the antenna and it still has great range. I didn't notice much of a difference except it bugged out a little at maybe 200 feet, but I probably won't drive it that far very often. No cuts on the antenna, great range, and a lot of settings for $45.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzforbrains View Post
    Just coil it in the receiver box. The range will be less than when fully extended, but it may not impact you, depending on the area, EMF near you, etc.
    Just tucked the excess wire in receiver box, this evening. I ran the truck for a quick test and everything seems good. Like I said, my tube is cut just enough to poke above the body. I still need to get a new cap this weekend but otherwise I am good to go. Thanks. So BlueFire, 1 more example of tucking the wire in the box and cutting the tube. Good luck.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by AH387 View Post
    Just tucked the excess wire in receiver box, this evening. I ran the truck for a quick test and everything seems good. Like I said, my tube is cut just enough to poke above the body. I still need to get a new cap this weekend but otherwise I am good to go. Thanks. So BlueFire, 1 more example of tucking the wire in the box and cutting the tube. Good luck.
    So everything is fine like that? I guess i'll shorten mine more, and thanks everyone for your replies!

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueFire View Post
    So everything is fine like that? I guess i'll shorten mine more, and thanks everyone for your replies!
    Ya, so far so good. I wanted to leave the tubing long enough so that there was a little extra on both ends of the exposed metal of the antenna. So that's why I ended up having the tube just slightly stick above the body. But ya the rest of the covered black wire is just tucked into the receiver box and resealed. I ran the car pretty far (by my standards) and had no issues. I would say it went 100ft + or so (tough to say). Since this car is so small/hyper, I tend to not run it as far as my Stampede anyways. So I don't foresee a problem. Hopefully you get the same results.