Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RC Racer

It finally happened!

Well after about 1 month and probably a good 30-35 runs I broke something and man it is a good one. Oh well let the modifications begin.

Response via Droid

RC Racer
    Just before though good fun I got a nice shot.

Response via Droid

RC Qualifier
    what did you hit? Looks like you had alot of fun doing it....lol

RC Racer
    Took it up to my friends cabin in the mountains who also has the same car. Kinda went off a cliff and hit a tree at 50+. Lol.

Response via Droid

RC Champion
    Nice and well used!

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by neows6 View Post
    Well after about 1 month and probably a good 30-35 runs I broke something and man it is a good one. Oh well let the modifications begin.

Response via Droid
    Straight through into the diff too.... RPM bulkhead in the near future?
    Slash 4x4 LCG, Rusty VXL(not runnin), and my bike.

The RPM bulkhead is a solid piece. I have it on my Slash Ultimate Edition and there is definitely a big difference in the material. I have yet to hit anything in the front but it has flex to it so it shouldn't snap like the stock part did on you.
    Slash Ultimate, ET-3S, 2400, MIP, King Headz, RPM

RC Racer
    Thanks guys for recommendation. I'll order one today.

Response via Droid

RC Racer
    Any recommendations on the best way to clean out the gearbox? Ill order some grease while I'm at it. I've been using a WD-40 type spray on the bearings but I m not sure if I should use soap and water dry and grease.

Response via Droid

RC poster
    Use simple green to clean everything...works great and leaves a good smell...lol

RC Qualifier
    Wow solid hit! I sort of wish I had bad breaks like that instead of other annoying things like a wheel stripping or something
    "That don't make NO sense!"

RC Racer
    Awesome thanks for the tip. With simple green. Will I need to fill the diff. With new oil?
    Yeah it a solid hit. And really really funny to watch it shoot off the cliff, especially with a few adult beverages in me and the guys.

Response via Droid

I had this type of break on my Ofna Buggy. It was a real pain to fix because you have to remove so many parts to get to the broken piece.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Racer
    I actually find fixing it part of the fun. Although these things are easy to fix. Much easier than my last car. The Turbo Optima. Yeah it was 25 years ago. So what I'm 40 and play with RC cars. Lol.
    I have to say its been a great work destresser

Response via Droid

RC Racer
    OK so I bit the bullet. I ordered the Monster Mamba 2 w the 2650kv Neu Castle. I've been up to 56mph with 19t pinion and 52t Spur on the stock system. But I kept hitting the thermal protection on 3s. So I dropped down to a 13t pinion which while it was fun just not 56 mph fun.
    So I have conflicting information that maybe you can help me out on.
    1. This motor combo really loves a 4s over a 3s from what I've read. And since its 2650 kV vs stock 3500. Its likely slower at equal voltage and gearing. Now I have two 3s batteries. I've seen YouTube videos where they have this combo running 6s. And I know the ESC is capable. Is the motor OK with 6s? Is it in fact really rated for 60,000 rpm?
    If not, can use the castle creations USB link programming tool to limit total voltage?
    2. The new combo is definitely more powerful if I run on the 3s how low can I go on the gear ratio before I'm having heat issues again? I've seen others go with Erevo 34t spurs, is this not advisable.

3. I've upgraded the driveshaft , slipper (erevo), of course the motor carrier thing, aluminum motor mount, aluminum Axel hubs all around.
    How long will the stock axels & stock wheel hubs last?

RC Qualifier
    Im happy with my setup (2650kv/mm2) on 3s. I have it geared 21/40 mod1 and its quick! On 4s its really fun!!! But most of the time i run 3s. It never gets hot with that gearing either. I haven't temp gunned it yet but i can touch it and its only warm. I think it will run on 6s for a short time but i wouldn't do it other then a speed run here and there. Oh and i don't think your stock axles will hold very long with the 8th scale power. I run MIP x-duties and just got some XO1 axles too. Both are way better then the plastic stock ones.

RC Champion
    1) Sure try it on 6s, The ESC can take it, the motor not indicated for 6s, but others have done it. Just be sure to keep it brief and measure your temps.

2) I have no idea but I have ran mine with a 18/54 with 4s, and it motor temps measured 122F

3) Not long, about 4 to 5 packs and the plastic shafts start to show elongation of the yoke holes where the U-Joint goes. soon breaking. The plastic hubs start to get rounded as well, but that's not as catastrophic.

RC Racer
    Thank you gentleman. I just installed it. Ran it with the 3s only with the 18/52 combo. Motor temp was 100 wow what a difference. Performance definitely seems torquier. Top speed is higher than I expected probably around 48. I'll get a reading tomorrow.
    I have yet to put together a series plug before I can run the two 3s. I also placed the order for the castle link USB connector, which I'd like to have before I make a decision on gearing differently and or running the 6s.
    I had stocked up on replacement shafts so I'll burn thru them as needed on my last I'll order the better ones.

RC Racer
    So as promised the 2650kv with 3s 19/52 speed.

RC Racer
    So I made a serial connector. Did both 3s's at once. Same setup otherwise. It was stupid fast. So fast I didn't have enough room to record a top speed on my street. Plus I think there is just a little to much play in the steering or front suspension to allow that much speed.
    I didn't run through the entire battery for one I didn't want to overheat it.
    But two I had a moment of terror because for a moment I lost radio control at near full throttle. Is there a chance the voltage to the receiver dropped to low. Is this something that people resolve with a glitch buster or separate BEC?

RC Champion
    Hard to say with out knowing fully the situation. The Radio does have a failsafe that would de throttle should you lose signal or get interference, however a lot of things can happen.

RC Racer
    I'm going to tidy up my wires maybe I had a RF issues. I'll also make a glitch buster aka capacitor up just in case.
    If there truly is a failsafe then either the receiver is faulty or it had no power to failsafe too.

RC Racer
    So after installing a 2200microF capacitor and routing my motor wires the same as yours ViperZ and 5 runs today no issues.
    I did also resync the transmitter and rec. So one the above all did seem to help.
    I would normally post a pic of the speed recorded from my old phone, but when attempted a 6s full speed run the front caught some air at somewhere around the 70 mph mark, car flipped survived no problem. The same can't be said of the old droid.

RC Racer
    My painting skills are nowhere near many of you guys , but I just about finished my Ford Focus. I'm generally happy but my edges are horrible. Need some practice.

RC Racer
    Would anyone know where I could pick up the decals? My body unfortunately did come with.

RC Champion
    My painting skills are nowhere near many of you guys , but I just about finished my Ford Focus. I'm generally happy but my edges are horrible. Need some practice.
    Good on you to paint your own body. I always run the back sid eof my finger nail or a rubber squeege on the edges or paint lines. Where the tape intersects, awlays press down with your nails to ensure its sealed. I do this before moving on to a new tape area, and again just before paint. It minimizes the chance for bleeds. On curvy deges I'll trim the tape thin to create the line that allows the tpe to contor and stick, then place another wider tape on top of the line. Ths allows the tape to follow contors and prevent lifting duing handling.

Keep painting more as thats really your practice

Would anyone know where I could pick up the decals? My body unfortunately did come with.
    Try contacting Proline, or check Ebay...
    Last edited by ViperZ; 04-28-2014 at 07:42 PM.

RC Racer
    This car is crazy fast. So brief update and question
    CC 2200kv MM2 with 15 degrees timing. I'm loving the castle creations link. Just another level of involvement.
    22t pinion /50t spur
    Running both 4s and 6s
    Running 4s. I can get to maybe 70mph at likely 80% ish throttle before the front comes up and its a back flip if I don't catch it. Temps running at 130F
    By the way stock drive shafts still holding up.
    Running 6s. I can get maybe 75mph at about 70% ish throttle before the same. The extra weight giving me a little more downforce. Temps running at 145F

This is with the stock body and the Proline Ford Focus body, really no difference.

How do we keep the front down!
    How hard is it to retrofit the XO-1 front splitter/bumber?

Finishing statement this thing is amazing!!!

RC Racer
    So very strange out of the blue my servo seemed to have died. I tried different channels no luck. And the wire looks OK no damage. Any tips of what to look for to repair?

RC Racer
    Picked up a servo at pepboys. My lhs is closed Sundays. Its nice having that option.
    So aero solving today continued.
    1st Try chin splitter on the front added. It helped a little, but without my old droid any more, RIP I can't really verify, just going by feel.
    2nd plan. Eliminate air being trapped underneath. Ala xo-1 under carriage panels.
    Used car board reenforced with wooden dowels tie wraps and of course what proof of concept job doesn't involve duct tape.

RC Racer

RC Racer
    This made a huge difference. Again going by feel. 85% throttle on 6s. Likely 80 mph. When my wife gets her new phone next week I'll have another droid available to risk a ride along.
    At this speed no immediate flip. Unless of course if I throttle to fast. But this seems to be a big key player in the aero problems.
    But it exposes another issue. The tires. The Banditos just can't handle it. They balloon so much its like driving on ice. The actual contact patch is just to small.
    So like some have done already xo-1 panels are on the next list. Then at some point the tires.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. humayrayakongkinaon's Avatar
    How hard is it to retrofit the XO-1 front splitter/bumber?!
    There's one for sale at market place.
    | Rally GT8 Powered By CC |_________________ |

RC Racer
    As you guys predicted snapped two more stock axles. No more replacements.
    Just ordered a set of xo-1 shafts.
    And xo-1 splitter and under carriage pieces.
    Still hitting 80 ish or so then it flips.

RC Racer

Kinda helped not so much lol.
    So I think I'm at the limit of the Ford Focus body.

RC Racer

Lexan also helped a bit. But still can only hit 90% throttle on 4s.

is it just the camera angle or our rear wheels got so much toe-in?

you've seen my Rally GT8 with XO-1 splitter/diffuser mod, it sure helps keeps the air flow straight to the back.

RC Racer
    It does look strange in the pic. Not sure why. This one is a little better.
    I have seen your mods with the xo-1 parts and I plan to emulate yours. I ordered them and should have it Wednesday.
    The diffuser I've read now for a real car can add up to 60% of a cars down force as it ensures the air under the car keeps moving quickly. The faster it moves the lower the pressure, aka wing upside down.
    Im expecting it to make a big difference.

RC Racer
    Oh and the tires have to go. In looking at the 1/8 GRP tires used on the Kyosho inferno. Obviously the xo-1 tires would work also but they are more expensive and I like a little bit of tread.

yeah, GRP (B compound) are good for speed runs, make sure you get the belted ones. I have a set and its very grippy that with only few passes, my undertray collect a lot of pebbles my other sets are sweep (55 shore), IMEX 35 foam tires, XO-1 wheels/tires.

RC Racer
    Thanks Hum.
    Your suggestion of B confused me though. Do you still recommend B compound if I'm likely to be running in a non controlled non cleaned typical street scenario asphalt?

From the above I was leaning toward the Ultrasoft.