RC poster

Rustler xl5 NEED SUGESTIONS

I want to upgrade my motor and ESC to have more speed and torque. I need suggestions on gears, motors and ESCs..

RC Qualifier
    You can get the Castle SV3 Waterproof 3800kv system, motor, esc, and fan for $100. Your gearing all depends upon which type of terrain and driving you plan on doing? Just make sure to invest, on an IR temp gun. Always keep an eye on your temps when running a BL setup.
    FLM RUSTY, FLM EMAXX, ERBE, SLASH PLATINUM 4X4

RC poster
    i will be doing short course with jumps and plenty of turn, also bashing around the yard.

RC Racer
    The most needed upgrade ......ball bearings for 5xl

RC Qualifier

Rustler xl5 NEED SUGESTIONS

Or if you want xtreme(spelled that wrong on purpose) power (correct me if I'm wrong) get the castle mamba max pro which can handle 6s. But you could also upgrade to the velineon bl system that comes in a lot of the traxxas models including the rustler vxl. I haven't got a 3s lipo yet but you would be surprised how overkill 3s lipos are with that extra cell!!
    The velineon 3500kv brushless combo is a total drop in to the xl-5, cause the rustler vxl isn't that much different. Ok maybe it is a little bit or a lot. But if you have an xl-5 with a metal gearbox, just install the velineon 3500 bl system and get a huge lipo and some steel or slash shafts and hold on!!

Oh yeah forgot the ball bearing part lol

And I also forgot to mention everything else like gearing and temps wow whoops
    Last edited by Spencer911; 03-23-2014 at 11:08 PM.

RC Qualifier
    If you plan on running SC and bashing, than the Castle SV3, 3800kv system would suit your needs perfect. It's by far the best bang for your buck. As far as gearing, start with 19/86, or 19/90, get a feel of which works better for you. But I'd definitely get a couple 2S lipo packs. SPC Lipos all day!!! You can't go wrong with SPC lipos and the Castle SV3 3800kv, by far, the best bang for your buck. You can always drop down on the spur and go up on the pinion for more top end speed, but that certainly wouldn't be necessary to run and race around on a track with, IMHO. If you want to see high 30's to low 40's potentially, than you'll have to run 25+ pinion and 83 spur, somewhere in the neighborhood. You can always make adjustments from there. The SV3, can handle either 2S or 3S. Obviously on 3S, you'll hit faster speeds, assuming you gear it properly, it will move! So just play around with your gearing, based on what and how you plan on running your rusty that day. But remember to always keep a close eye on your temps!!!!!
    Last edited by quantumreality; 03-23-2014 at 11:09 PM.
    FLM RUSTY, FLM EMAXX, ERBE, SLASH PLATINUM 4X4

RC Competitor
    Where do I live? In a house! (don't we all!)
    I'm running a Hobbywing EZYRUN combo in my Grave Digger coz it was cheap! (WP60 ESC & 3000kv motor). I haven't had ANY dramas what so ever, and I'm running 90T spur & 16T pinion on 2s.

In my older Stampede, I'm running the same WP60 ESC with a 4300kv motor, but it keeps cutting out.... & that's a whole 'nother post!
    Jesus Is Lord.