RC Qualifier

Tekno M6 CVD's problem...

I just took my rusty out for a run, ran great for a while. I have slash rear arms, because the slash M6 cvd's weren't long enough for the rusty rear arms. So anyways the wheel was wobbling a little. So i took a look and the innermost bearing was exploded. And the ring was cracked. I email Tekno. Just waiting on a reply, but i will also call them tomorrow after school.
    I thought Tekno was the best? But apparently not. And i only have ran these parts 3 times on 2s Lipo. So far not so satisfied with them

Maybe i can get some other bearing that are better? If so what company?
    Its a 10x15x4 bearing...

EDIT: are avid bearings good? If so what are the best? Like which ones will be the strongest? Ceramic? Metal? Im not sure. And I'm not looking for maintenance with these. Just pop em in and go. I would like for them to last a good amount of time.
    Last edited by iZach98; 03-23-2014 at 06:41 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    I don't know about the bearing but I have seen alot of people having problems with Tekno driveshafts, people say that you should just save up for the MIP.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. humayrayakongkinaon's Avatar
    I have tekno and never had a bearing failure running it for a year now on my rally GT8, as the matter of fact the bearing I have are from the XO-1.

sent via Samsung Galaxy LIGHT using tapatalk
    Last edited by humayrayakongkinaon; 03-23-2014 at 08:18 PM.
    | Rally GT8 Powered By CC |

RC Qualifier
    Hmmm, this should be a rc "hot topic" driveshafts. But I haven't had the plastic slash shafts fail on my rusty vxl, the holes just get egg shaped after a while. This means that they will eventually tear through the plastic u joint too. I have had the slash shafts for almost a year, it might seem more worth it to replace them every once and a while rather than spend $50 or more on steel driveshafts. I may very well be wrong. I have asked this question like 5 times but what driveshafts hold up the best besides MIP-X-CVDS? I was thinking about the teknos. But hmm

RC Turnbuckle Jr. humayrayakongkinaon's Avatar
    Stick with stock arms when running tekno cvd and set the droop to a point were it wont pop out.

sent via Samsung Galaxy LIGHT using tapatalk
    | Rally GT8 Powered By CC |

RC Qualifier

Ok, but what bearings are the strongest?
    I am using stock slash arms. And i will set some droop so the bearings wont pop out anymore. And i already have these so i want to stick with them.

RC Qualifier
    That seems a little insane, but maybe the traxxas 1951R shafts are a consideration? Or is that not good? Low ground clearance for jumping doesn't really work too well. Sorry to annoy you with this madness. I just want to have a good driveshaft purchase and be able to have them last a long time

RC Qualifier
    I may be overthinking this, I'm starting to think that the bearing just popped out and i didn't notice it right away. And as i drove it with the bearing just loose, i think it just fell apart. That may be the problem.
    I looked into the traxxas CVD's, they were just to expensive and didn't have the bigger bearings. I think the tekno CVD's are great! Just my own fault that i didn't notice the bearing popped out soon enough to save it. But it only fell out because i didn't have my angle correct and it had room to slip out.

Quote Originally Posted by Xtreme Nitro View Post
    I don't know about the bearing but I have seen alot of people having problems with Tekno driveshafts, people say that you should just save up for the MIP.
    Interesting. I'm on here a lot and I haven't seen that. Perhaps personal preference is influencing your perception?
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

Quote Originally Posted by iZach98 View Post
    Ok, but what bearings are the strongest?
    I am using stock slash arms. And i will set some droop so the bearings wont pop out anymore. And i already have these so i want to stick with them.
    Avid bearings are the best bang for you buck. I've had a full bearing kit in my Summit for over a year now with out any issues. I'd go with the revolution bearings IMO.
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh Teton/Rally T-Maxx Pnde

RC Qualifier
    To answer your question, I've always had good luck with Avid RC, Acer, and VXB bearings. They all make 10x15x4 bearings, in rubber or metal shielded. If your bearings or shafts see alot of dust and dirt, which I'm sure they do, than go with a rubber seal. But the VXB metal shielded bearing S6700ZZ, is pretty darn stout.

Here's a list of Avid RC 10x15x4 bearings, one or more of these, will definitely work for your Tekno shaft:

http://www.avidrc.com/product/1/bear...-bearings.html

Here's a link to an Acer rubber shielded 10x15x4 bearing:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10x15x4mm-Ba...-/261052528178
    Last edited by quantumreality; 03-24-2014 at 02:14 AM.
    FLM RUSTY, FLM EMAXX, ERBE, SLASH PLATINUM 4X4

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by quantumreality View Post
    Here's a link to an Acer rubber shielded 10x15x4 bearing:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10x15x4mm-Ba...-/261052528178
    One more question...
    How many bearings do you get?

Quote Originally Posted by iZach98 View Post
    One more question...
    How many bearings do you get?
    Are you looking to replace every bearing in you truck, or just the wheel bearings?
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh Teton/Rally T-Maxx Pnde

RC Qualifier

Just that bearing. On both carriers.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    Interesting. I'm on here a lot and I haven't seen that. Perhaps personal preference is influencing your perception?
    Yes and no, seen a few having problems with tekno like the pins on the dogbones snapping and chattering, and I have seen what somepeople put there MIPs through, and they always come out bulletproof.

RC Qualifier
    So MIP shafts it is x cvds that is. The x cvds only cost $10 more than the teknos

Quote Originally Posted by Xtreme Nitro View Post
    Yes and no, seen a few having problems with tekno like the pins on the dogbones snapping and chattering, and I have seen what somepeople put there MIPs through, and they always come out bulletproof.
    You are not looking very hard if you think the MIPs are close to bulletproof. I see at least 5 threads related to problems with MIPs for each one related to Teknos. Then again, perhaps personal preference is influencing my perception?
    Either way, once set up properly, either choice should work well.

RC Qualifier

So either option MIP x cvds Traxxas 1951R shafts, or the tekno shafts, if set up properly, they will all be great?? Opinions can throw us all for a loop, sorry if I am posting so many times about the topic driveshafts. It's just confusing what to make of it
    Sorry
    Last edited by Spencer911; 03-24-2014 at 01:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spencer911 View Post
    So either option MIP x cvds Traxxas 1951R shafts, or the tekno shafts, if set up properly, they will all be great?? Opinions can throw us all for a loop, sorry if I am posting so many times about the topic driveshafts. It's just confusing
    I believe so.

RC Qualifier

I emailed tekno and some photos. So we will wait and see if they give me new bearings. Hopefully. And just so i dont do this again. I will set it up differently this time.

Here are pics
    Turns out both bearings exploded. And the stub axle pin was in two pieces.

RC Qualifier
    Wow when u mean "exploded" you really mean exploded!! All bent up and what not. Not looking good for the teknos

RC Qualifier
    Yeah, i wasnt jokin around! I really meant exploded! lol
    Gotta figure out how to adjust the camber so this doesn't happen again.

RC Enthusiast
    Sucks bro, same as what Spencer said, you really meant exploded. The problem that I heard with the Tekno is the pins breaking, not trying to advertise, but Airborn Bafoon on Youtube had the pin problem repeatedly on his Stampede 4x4 and had to get replacements through Tekno a lot, he just saved up for the MIPs and he has been fine, I hope you don't have the same problem as him and hope it will only be a one-time replacement.
    Last edited by Xtreme Nitro; 03-24-2014 at 03:17 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Yeah, hopefully. This will be a one time thing. Otherwise time to save my money up for those MIP's

RC Champion
    I don't know but I have not see lots of people running FLM cvd, I do and man they are great for me so far...very hard and takes 3s without a glitch.
    Live life to the fullest

Quote Originally Posted by lowsaturn View Post
    This sucks. This broke today. My son accidentally hit my Slash with his and snapped the wheel right off. I know MIP will most likely warranty the part, but I'm sure the replacement will be the keyed design. We have Traxxas CVD's up front on our Slashes, looks like I will be getting the rears as well.
    Failures for any part are not hard to find. Blaming a pin for not holding up to (ab)use that destroyed two bearings is not even close to reasonable. Neither would be blaming the MIP above for breaking due to crashing.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    Failures for any part are not hard to find. Blaming a pin for not holding up to (ab)use that destroyed two bearings is not even close to reasonable. Neither would be blaming the MIP above for breaking due to crashing.
    Very true, when I have damaged a part due to a fault of my own, I don't ask for the warranty out of my principals. I had bent a flm bulkhead , driver error and just ordered a new one.
    Everything has its limits, nothing is invincible or bulletproof until proven or other wise...we ran at huge speeds , definitely at one point or the other like real cars some things will break .....regardless if it is metal, plastic or what not...
    Live life to the fullest

RC Qualifier
    So my other bearings exploded the other day. Not so happy with tekno. I think I'm just gonna get a bunch of the slash 4x4 rear halfshafts. Since they are cheap and are holding up pretty good so far

RC Qualifier
    That seems like a better plan
    Slash shafts are tough and cheap about $9 a pair) and last well, a while

RC Qualifier
    $9 a pair?!?! Where? Are you sure your talking about the slash 4x4 heavy duty half shafts?