RC poster

Question #2238 transmitter - reciever issue question (Help)

Hi, New to the forums but I did some basic searches already for this puzzling radio/reciever problem. My Slash truck is about 3 yrs old and was working fine the first 2 yrs, after it sat a few months I charged it up and when I turned it on, the motor control worked fine but the steering servo just went full left an locked in place. I took it apart and cleaned all the contacts, but no change. Finally the steering servo stopped doing anything (No noise).
    So I just went to the local RC car store (and track here in Tucson, its a big place), they sold me a new reciever after checking the servos by checking them out. When I got home I plugged it in correctly (I wrote down a diagram of the motor on channel one, bottom most pins, and steering on channel 2), and after it linked up (that took a while), the steering servo slewed into a lock again !

Before I bring it back to the store I thought I'd try the experts on this forum for thier collective wisdom on Traxxas issues similar to this.

Any advice and guidance is appreciated, my kids would like to see this thing working, as would I.

Thank you,
    Jim

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    Steering is supposed to be channel 1... there are two channel 1 slots on Traxxas receivers. I have to look really closely to see the raised lettering stating so... but from the bottom up; channel 1 (servo/open), channel 1 (servo/open), & channel 2 (ESC).
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC poster
    thanks, I had the esc in channel 2, and tried the steering in both channel 1 slots but the same behavior happens, instant left to lock and that's it, motor & esc is fine, if its the transmitter I'm gonna blow a stak at the folks who sold me this as they claimed it was the most durable setup and should last a few years, we really didn't use it that much either, and it wasn't cheap by any means.
    Jim

I doubt it is your transmitter... or your receiver.

Here is what I would do:

1) Disengage the motor from the spur gear or remove the tires so the RC cannot drive away on you.

2) Plug the ESC into channel 1 and see if the steering wheel controls the ESC as it should. If it does, channel 1 of your radio system is working fine. Keep in mind that the ESC may not stop at center due to not being calibrated... or may not even work at first due to not being calibrated. If this happens, calibrate the ESC to the steering wheel. (If I remember correctly, right is forward.)

3) Plug the steering servo into channel 2. If the trigger operates the servo as it should, the servo is fine. But, I have a strong suspicion that the servo is the culprit.

RC poster
    I've tried contacting the OP to see if it was okay if I crashed his thread but I never got any response so I hope he doesn't mind.
    I have the same transmitter and receiver for my MERV. I'm also having similar problems. My front wheels gradually drift to the left on their own and stay there, or after turning left or right and releasing, the front kind of twitches back and forth. The twitching is much worse when using a Ko Propo PDS-3101 servo I have. When using the stock #2080 servo, the twitching is still there as well as the left wheel lock. I also couldn't get the wheels to turn all the way to the right anytime. They would turn most of the way, but not completely.

I followed Jimmie Neutron's steps here:
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Neutron View Post
    I doubt it is your transmitter... or your receiver.

Here is what I would do:

1) Disengage the motor from the spur gear or remove the tires so the RC cannot drive away on you.

2) Plug the ESC into channel 1 and see if the steering wheel controls the ESC as it should. If it does, channel 1 of your radio system is working fine. Keep in mind that the ESC may not stop at center due to not being calibrated... or may not even work at first due to not being calibrated. If this happens, calibrate the ESC to the steering wheel. (If I remember correctly, right is forward.)

3) Plug the steering servo into channel 2. If the trigger operates the servo as it should, the servo is fine. But, I have a strong suspicion that the servo is the culprit.
    I took the wheels off, which was a good thing because as soon as I powered the car on the hubs immediately started spinning. Now that the ESC was being controlled by the steering wheel, I had to turn the wheel to the right slightly to stop the hubs. So the car was receiving a signal that the steering wheel was being turned left; whether it was controlling the servo or the ESC it didn't matter.
    I can tell the car is getting 100% reverse but NOT 100% in forward when the steering wheel is controlling the ESC. The same as when I couldn't get the wheels to turn all the way to the right.
    Now that the trigger is controlling the steering servo, it works almost perfectly. I say almost because the servo makes very faint sounds like I'm trying to turn the wheels even though I'm not. When I unplug the ESC from the motor, those sounds stop.
    With all that being said, does anybody have any suggestions or ideas? Many thanks in advance.

The ESC not recognizing neutral with the steering wheel is because it has not been calibrated to the new signal. Calibrate it to see steering center = ESC neutral. This does not mean that your servo was constantly being told something other than center at center.

How much slop is in your steering assembly?

RC poster
    There's very little slop in the steering. I'll have to look up how to calibrate the steering.

The calibration needs to happen between the ESC and the steering wheel if you are attempting to have the ESC at neutral when the wheel is at center... all of that is done with the ESC.

Also, make sure that everything is back to factory settings... that is always the first step when tracking down issues.

RC poster
    I've reset the transmitter back to factory defaults. Now I'm looking at the menu tree in the owner's manual: Which one should I be following? If I seem list it's because I am!

RC poster
    Okay, with my ESC in slot 1 and servo in slot 2 I've restored my factory defaults. I'm still getting the same symptoms with it seeming like it's my steering wheel on the transmitter being the culprit. Does that sound right or am I'm way off base?

So you are saying the ESC is being glitchy now?

RC poster
    Whether it's the ESC or the steering servo, which ever is being controlled by the steering wheel seems to act up.
    Would a video help more? Tell me exactly what you would like for me to try and I will oblige as best I can.

I just wanted to make sure I understood what you were saying... nothing worse than trying to give advice on how to peel an apple when you are eating an Oreo.

It sounds like to me that there is something awry with channel 1. Could be the receiver or the transmitter. Without having another radio system to swap parts with it is going to be difficult to pinpoint which one it is out of the two.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Neutron View Post
    I just wanted to make sure I understood what you were saying... nothing worse than trying to give advice on how to peel an apple when you are eating an Oreo.
    That's a great way to put what you and I are trying to do!

So I guess my safest bet is to go in search of a transmitter and receiver combo?

I think so...
    From what we have done the results are leading me toward a channel 1 issue in either the receiver or transmitter.

eBay usually has a combo pretty cheap... unless the RC is new enough to give Traxxas a call and see what they say.

RC poster
    Thank you for your invaluable help Mr. Neutron. I am in your debt. You have proved to be far more helpful than the tech support at Traxxas who were the ones who suggested a new servo in the first place. Now I know I should've saved my money for a transmitter and receiver. Thank you again.

Don't thank me yet... lol.

Too bad you don't have someone close to swap and test equipment!