RC Racer

stampede talon tires on rustler

hey, my son would like to put talon tires on his rustler xl5.
    anything i should consider other then changing fron 23/90 to 16/90?
    i also read that fronts on both rear and front would work (considering switching )

thanks.

RC Racer
    dont bother , they arent so good, get 2.2 tires, they just dont grip too well imho, i would gear like 19/83 if you do buy them.

RC Racer
    I just put talons on the rear of our vxl and they do grip good in grass and loose dirt but are terrible on pavement and gravel. I dont know about fronts working on rear, I do know there is an offset between the front and rear. We ordered the talon tires and foams by themselves so I could tape the inside of the tire to prevent ballooning and just boiled the tires off the original rims. Then super glued the new tires on. Youtube videos on "how to" do all 3 of these things. Saved some money and its easier than I thought it would be. +1 on the 19/83 gearing ..i'm thinking your xl5 should have came stock like that or with those gears included. Remember the Talon tires are huge compared to the stock tires. See the pic of our recent upgrade. So thats going to slow that xl5 down a bit and run that motor a lot hotter. Watch your temps. BTW this is an xl5 converted to vxl.
    Sponsored by Sugar Mamma Racing aka The Wife O.o

RC Racer
    wow these are huge indeed, stevenhousden!!
    the rustler came with 23/90 stock, so 16/90 or even 19/90 could keep it cooler then 19/83.

what 2.2 tires do you suggest, Role?

RC Racer
    i love sandpaws even for grass

RC Racer
    sorry Role, not what he's looking for.
    any suggestions on alternatives for talons on a rustler?
    i mean, they work on a stampede, so why wouldn't they be any good on a rustler, considering the gear-change?

On a stock Rustler the front wheels have a larger offset than the rear ones. That means if you use front wheels on all corners, the rear end becomes wider than the front end. Using rear offset at the front end will cause rubbing.
    Nobody is born with experience.

RC Racer
    so you think i'ld better stick to fronts front and rears rear.
    if the tires wear, we can always undo the tires and rotate them on the rims.
    thanks for the input.

Back in the days I swapped wheels more often, I often used fronts on all corners to be able to swap front and rear every now and then. I thought the wider rear looked cool, but to say that it's optimal for handling.... not really.
    Nobody is born with experience.

RC Competitor
    Where do I live? In a house! (don't we all!)
    soak the rims in acetone for 24 - 36 hrs. Remove the tires. Put Proline Dirt Hawgs on, because they are a low profile tire, better suited for the rustler than, say, the trenchers. Your gearing could probibly even stay the same with the Dirt Hawgs.
    Jesus Is Lord.

RC Qualifier

stampede talon tires on rustler

How about pro line trenchers 2.8 eh?? Gear down for that though.
    The dirt hawgs I thought got loaded up with dirt, the trenchers perform great. But yes a low profile tire is probably better like the dirt hawgs
    I think boiling the tires is almost safer. Acetone can kill you, and it will eat the paint and dissolve some rims too. Don't mess with acetone please
    Last edited by Spencer911; 03-24-2014 at 06:22 AM.

RC Racer
    thanks all of you for the input. we'll check how the talons behave when we get them (i gues in about 2 weeks).
    trenchers look pretty good too i guess, or badlands. we'll see what we can get at our hobbyshop.

RC Racer
    +1 on the badlands great tires get the 2.2's

RC Qualifier
    Pro-Line Gladiators or Badlands! They both come in 2.2", or even 2.8". I run 2.2 Gladiators on my son's rusty and the performance is wicked sick.
    FLM RUSTY, FLM EMAXX, ERBE, SLASH PLATINUM 4X4

RC Racer
    i guess you mean 2.2"/3.0" tires? because 2.2" are just so small for the rustler. that's bandit-size.
    and except for the width, the 2.2"/3.0" are same diameter as the 2.8"?
    a comparison picture would help

RC Qualifier
    The 2.2 Gladiators are the same outer diameter as the factory 2.8 tires. The 2.2's just have more sidewall. I love the Gladiators. They work great in all types of terrain.

I have also run the badlands and let me say they GRIP!! Be prepared to upgraded your drive line and gear down for sure. They are a beast

Sent from my SCH-I535

RC Champion
    I have put Talons on all my Rustlers. Good for drifting and preventing rollovers on pavement. Not much traction though. They do look good.
    All those who believe psychokinesis raise my hand

RC Racer
    well he has anacondas for tarmac and pavement ... and slammed the rustrler straight into a lamp post ... bulkhead in pieces. i ordered a new one and an RPM bumper to go with it

RC Qualifier
    mrtwohands is spot on. The 2.2 Gladiators will fit the rusty just fine, without sacrificing height. There's really no difference in the overall diameter of the tire, when compared to your conventional 2.8. They kick butt on the track. It's mostly loose with some hard compact sections, but they hold their line pretty darn good. Good luck with whatever tire you choose.
    Last edited by quantumreality; 03-26-2014 at 03:25 PM.
    FLM RUSTY, FLM EMAXX, ERBE, SLASH PLATINUM 4X4

RC Competitor
    Where do I live? In a house! (don't we all!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spencer911 View Post
    How about pro line trenchers 2.8 eh?? Gear down for that though.
    Acetone can kill you, and it will eat the paint and dissolve some rims too. Don't mess with acetone please
    LOL, possibly if you drink it!!! Does your girlfriend have nail polish remover? Guess what the main ingredient in that is? and chicks use it on their nails all the time!. Note: that I'm not saying you should use nail polish remover on your tires, that would be a fail! LOL.

I have been using Acetone on rims + tires for ages. Most manufactures rims these days are nylon, and will suffer zero damage, as the bottle that acetone comes in, is made of nylon! (either that, or if you buy it in larger quantitys in tins!). The only rims that can't be put in acetone, that I personally have found, is HSP/Redcat and Tamiya. These rims will turn into a pile of sludge in the bottom of your acetone container next morning, ruining both acetone and tire. Oho yea, and some of the closed cell foam inserts don't hold up very well after being put in acetone, and will tend to go 'brittle'. Provided you wear proper rubber gloves, it's fine!
    Last edited by Demon Hunter; 03-28-2014 at 05:50 PM.
    Jesus Is Lord.

RC Racer
    could somebody please show some comparing pictures of side-by-side 2.8" stampede talons and BFgoodrich salsh tires? before i order anything i'ld like to see the difference in width and hight between the two. i did find some pictures but can't really compare them like that.

by the way, the rustler came stock with 13/90 gearing, so talons shouldn't be a problem the bandit came stock 26/76 and burned a t12 already, so i switched it to 26/86 and probably 16/86 next week to run on slash tires.

RC Racer
    talon tires on the rustler, geared 90/13: groovy!
    slash redbead tires on the red bandit geared 86/16: awesome!

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Demon Hunter View Post
    soak the rims in acetone for 24 - 36 hrs. Remove the tires. Put Proline Dirt Hawgs on, because they are a low profile tire, better suited for the rustler than, say, the trenchers. Your gearing could probibly even stay the same with the Dirt Hawgs.
    Dont get the dirt hawks. They don't grip as well as the gladiators or badlands. But yes I recommend sticking with 2.2 tires

RC Qualifier
    the talons even on the 4x4 stampede vxl arent any good on pavement. they work ok on grass though. ive got proline mashers on all 4 wheels i use on my stampede that on good on everything. ive never used trenchers but alot of ppl like them