RC Qualifier

Rustler vxl won't do a back flip

Am I missing something here? I can hit a jump and while in the air have the throttle pegged and it will just barely start to roll backwards. I can do front flips all day. What gives

Sent from my SCH-I535

RC Competitor
    How big is the ramp?

RC Qualifier
    It has a pretty good pitch to it.

Actually just busted my axle bashing at the local school yard . Not sure what I'm going to replace them with. Slash 4x4, MIP or what.

Sent from my SCH-I535

Your wheels just are not big enough to provide the mass needed to do a back flip. Because they are rolling in the forward direction when you go off of the jump, so when you goose the throttle, you should be able to pitch the nose up somewhat, but not as drastically as you want. On the other hand, because the wheels are alreally rolling in the forward direction, when you hit the break it drasticly changes the rotaional mass, causing the truck to roll forward.

You can try adjusting your speed, coming off of the ramp slower to give more of a change of rotational mass when you punch the throttle. Or, have a taller ramp that launches the truck higher, giving the truck more time to come over.

Even with a much lighter buggy (AE-B4) I could not do a back flip. I had all kinds of control in the air, but the best I could do is land it on its lid when I tried.
    Last edited by Greatscott; 03-21-2014 at 06:01 PM.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Qualifier
    I was wondering if that had anything to do with it. When I ran the stock tires or even now with the 2.2 gladiators it will spin a little till it gets upside done and crashes on its lid. With my nitro rustler it would backflip like there's no tomorrow lol. I'll have to try what you're saying once I replace the axles. Hopefully that will help some because front flips are dialed in and getting boring

Thank you for the advice!!

Sent from my SCH-I535

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by mrtwohands View Post
    It has a pretty good pitch to it.

Sent from my SCH-I535
    Nice ramp!
    I wonder if it would do backflips with 2.8 MT wheels?

It also has something to do with the Rustler being 2wd. The E Revo's will pretty much do a back flip on demand because the front two tires are being spun as well and it adds to the gyroscopic effect. Although I'm sure a Rustler could be made to backflip. Your ramp doesn't look like it's curved enough. I would think for a 2wd you would almost want the car 90 to the ground (straight up and down) before it leaves the ramp. That seems to be how the guys on dirt bikes do it.

RC Champion
    It looks like you used melamine to build your ramp deck. Looks good. But your loosing traction when you peg it to build up to the launch. You need to be able to get good traction right before take off to get the rear wheels to accelerate past the car. Try getting some grip tape or safety treads for stairs to stick to your deck. You want to get as much traction as you can.
    Got my boots on. Its getting deep!

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Powerman View Post
    It looks like you used melamine to build your ramp deck. Looks good. But your loosing traction when you peg it to build up to the launch. You need to be able to get good traction right before take off to get the rear wheels to accelerate past the car. Try getting some grip tape or safety treads for stairs to stick to your deck. You want to get as much traction as you can.
    I agree with the traction you have leaving the ramp is everything having your nose up a bit when leaving the ramp... and i don't think tire size is everything... It helps sure more mass is good but i can back flip and i sized my tires down to the 2.2/3.0 slash tires... i guess all i'm saying is you can still flip with smaller tires...

RC Qualifier
    I agree that does play a factor. But my nitro has no problem. With it but even hitting dirt jumps the vxl just won't backflip. Oh the ramp is cruved a lot more than it looks trust me. Just hard to see from that picture. I went to Lowes to get something like skateboard deck tape. I am not a fine of the monster truck tires. I may try them again one day but for now I am liking the gladiators... Plus they were free lol. I'll just have to play with it some more I guess and try something new. Thanks for the advice guys. I'll be sure to put it all in action when I get it fixed.

Sent from my SCH-I535

RC Qualifier
    Are these the upgraded shafts people run?
    http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXAVNM&P=ML

Sent from my SCH-I535

RC Qualifier
    Yes, i run them on my dads pede, so far they are holding up.

RC Qualifier
    Awesome thanks. Now is that price for one each or one set (two). The description doesn't say

Sent from my SCH-I535

RC Qualifier
    That is for only 1 i believe, here is a link for 2 on eBay at a better price http://bit.ly/1gp8uHj

RC Qualifier
    Yeah, the newer VXLs must come with those already though. I know mine did. The roller I bought had the wimpy ones.

You could always go to MIPs also. Plastic wears out pretty quickly, especially the U Joints.

The top speed that the tire gets to is also important. Gear up 2 teeth on the pinion, and see if it gets around better. Launch speed is also key. If your already at top speed when leaving the ramp, the tires cannot accelerate to bring the rear end forward.

You could always go to MIPs also. Plastic wears out pretty quickly, especially the U Joints.
    ... and especially if doing full throttle backflips the plastic parts will not last, no matter what you use.
    Sit down, buckle up, hold on, pay me...

RC Qualifier
    Thanks Zach!

I did not think about that. Maybe I should try leaving the jumps at a slower and then punch it to see what happens.

I have looked into the mips's before but they are pretty expensive for at the moment. So may hold off on those for now.

Sent from my SCH-I535