RC Enthusiast

Lipo gearing rustler vxl

Hi I was wondering which spur gear to use for 2s lipo on a rustler vxl. I can't change the pinion because it is stuck on the shaft

RC Champion
    What are you wanting to with your rustler? Bash or speed runs

You could always get a bit from almost any store like Lowes. The bit is for stripped screws.

Sent from my SCH-I535

RC Qualifier
    I'd try to get the pinion off first. Is the set screw stripped out or something?

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Themader346 View Post
    Hi I was wondering which spur gear to use for 2s lipo on a rustler vxl. I can't change the pinion because it is stuck on the shaft
    if you're using the stock allen wrench that came with the rustler then yea the pinion wont come off with those once it's semi-stripped. You'll need to invest in a good set of hex drivers 1.5mm, 2.0mm and 2.5mm for your truck...as of now to get the pinion off, head to your local hobby shop and they'll whip out the right tools to get that pinion off.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by brandon555 View Post
    I'd try to get the pinion off first. Is the set screw stripped out or something?
    I tried to drill out the screw but the gear is still stuck of the shaft

What gearing is on there now? There may not be many options depending on how small the pinion is.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by O.G. View Post
    What gearing is on there now? There may not be many options depending on how small the pinion is.
    What ever the stock pinion is that comes on current rustler vxl and I have stock spur 76t spur and 90t spur

RC Champion
    once again...before over-doing things by drilling...what tools are you using to get it off? if not using hex drivers then you should try those FIRST. Your local hobby shop will help you get that stuck pinion off easily.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Rustler View Post
    once again...before over-doing things by drilling...what tools are you using to get it off? if not using hex drivers then you should try those FIRST. Your local hobby shop will help you get that stuck pinion off easily.
    I tried the hex driver from the duratrax tool kit and all it did was strip it. I tried using a star head driver. But that just dripped it more. So then I tried drilling and the screw is completely gone but the gear is still stuck.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Themader346 View Post
    I tried the hex driver from the duratrax tool kit and all it did was strip it. I tried using a star head driver. But that just dripped it more. So then I tried drilling and the screw is completely gone but the gear is still stuck.
    You either need to drill deeper, or wider. there could be a bit of screw left in there. OR you could cut the gear to pieces with a dremel ect. OR pelieve it or not there is a puller for them gears. OR could be somebody used way to much locktight ( not likely if ya bought it new )

RC Qualifier
    Also as always bigger pinion = more speed, smaller spur = more speed.
    Try it like it is first, might be fine for what your doing.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by knall View Post
    You either need to drill deeper, or wider. there could be a bit of screw left in there. OR you could cut the gear to pieces with a dremel ect. OR pelieve it or not there is a puller for them gears. OR could be somebody used way to much locktight ( not likely if ya bought it new )
    yes the hobby shop will have this puller device that will yank it off. I find it strange that the grub screw is off but the gear is still stuck

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by knall View Post
    I don't want to drill anymore because I know I'm at the shaft. I went real easy at the end and when I tap the shaft it sparks and I'm afraid of damaging the shaft