RC Racer

Jack's Teton build

Taking my own advice, I'm constructing a build thread of my own and will try to keep it updated.

First thing I did was put a micro receiver in this truck so I can use my spektrum dx2s. I love this transmitter and it's much more programmable.

I noticed the brushed motor gets hot really easily so I upgraded the ESC to something brushless and cheap. Cheap was what I received and this brushless system also got hot really fast.

I finally upgraded to a mamba micro pro with a 0808 style motor that is rated 4100kv. Top speed is quick and controllable, I want to try the rally pinion because it is larger and the rally spur. I want to test how uncontrollable feels.

With a speed increase I also need a servo upgrade. I will upgrade to this savox servo once I get my new top and bottom case for it. I will also shorten the wires on it soon. I pulled this servo from my losi 1/24 truggy.

I'm going to shim the servo saver in an attempt to tighten the steering a bit. I'm also going to get a gyro for this truck.
    Sometime during the year I will attempt to do a dual motor set-up that another build inspired me to try. I'm going to run a motor up front and a motor in the rear, each powering two wheels each. I'm thinking of ways to modify the center shaft to accomidate both diff's independent.
    Before I buy another mamba system I want to see if the latrax 1/18 platforms will get more support from other companies. I would hate to throw $100 more into something that will become unsupported. I at least want to see aluminum drive shafts so I don't snap em.
    ... I'm itching for that carbon fiber chassis upgrade... Must resist...
    Last edited by jackislost; 03-16-2014 at 02:14 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Nice build, can't wait to see how yours turns out with one powering the front and one powering the rear if you decide to do it!
    Twin Brushless Latrax Teton, .21TM Jato

RC Racer
    Just got some 1/10 touring wheels for what I consider cheap. 26mm 0 offset makes the stance a bit narrower. I couldn't find offsets. Well, they fit and I'm going to buy some drift tires online.

RC Racer
    I got my drift tires on, HPI super drift

They are 1/10 touring wheels

RC Champion
    nice look! have you tested them out yet?

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Rustler View Post
    nice look! have you tested them out yet?
    yeah, they are fun. I think i'm going to try out the rally's smaller center shaft gear in the front so the front tires spin slower than the back tires. I hear people drift easier with faster rear ratios. my fingers still hurt prying these tires on!

RC poster
    What wheels are those? I found some HPI wheels with pre-mounted T-Drift tires (the hard plastic ones with no tread). I think they are the OEM setup on a Nitro RS4. The wheels are Rays 57s 26mm with 3mm offset. I am thinking about trying those.

RC Competitor
    Looks sick man! I like it. Now go do some SPEED RUNS!

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Boldfin View Post
    What wheels are those? I found some HPI wheels with pre-mounted T-Drift tires (the hard plastic ones with no tread). I think they are the OEM setup on a Nitro RS4. The wheels are Rays 57s 26mm with 3mm offset. I am thinking about trying those.
    mine are HPI wheel and tires, i don't know the name exactly i forgot

RC Racer
    can't speed run with these drift tires, they have little traction haha. I think i'll try different tires for speed next month

RC Racer
    I snapped a drive shaft today. I'm was about to place an order for the rally pinion and carbon fiber chassis too. I guess I'll hold out for the aluminum drive shaft (kinda wish it would be steel) and the GTR shocks.

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex!
    will the stock tires fit the hpi wheels???
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
    will the stock tires fit the hpi wheels???
    No they won't. Its different.

Well I bought a SCT body because the wheel base was similar, just 3.5mm sorter than the sc18. I'm going to paint mine all black with silver pipes in the back.

I'm looking for a hobby shop that sells rally rims because the width of the Teton is too large.

I'm going to play around with gear ratios I really need aluminum drive shafts!!!!

RC Racer

I'm not a pro and this is the best I can do with spray cans. I liked the specked look that came out

RC Racer

RC Champion
    Wow! that's nice Jack

RC Racer
    Looks great! Nice job. 👍

RC Racer
    Thanks for the complements guys
    Now I wish I made the entire car speckled yellow and the hood black :P oh well.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by jackislost View Post
    Thanks for the complements guys
    Now I wish I made the entire car speckled yellow and the hood black :P oh well.
    yea that'll be even sicker! I'm not stopping you from ordering another and painting it up

RC Racer
    Maybe next paycheck new 1:1 scale this week

RC Racer

I think this is how it should have been from the start :P my girlfriend had black vinyl decal

RC Racer

Carbon chassis, one way drive shaft, rally gear ratio. Fun.

RC Racer

RC Racer
    This truck is so much more fun to drive with both diff's open and a one way center shaft. My last set up was a locked rear and open front. This car rotates and drifts pretty well now. I am having a lot of fun with this truck finally. I'm running 4x4 with stock shafts. The drive shafts make the wheels wobble because the screws aren't centered correctly. I can't wait for aluminum drive shafts.

Its not quite an SCT build anymore. The rally wheel setup was kind of bad on the Teton and SCT body. I just packed it up and put on the Teton wheels

RC Champion
    Nice work man...Some action vids are in demand!

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Rustler View Post
    Nice work man...Some action vids are in demand!
    Here's an unexciting video I need a camera man
    Latrax Teton SCT body: https://youtu.be/5IUr5r2hZQc

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex!
    That looks like one of my slash 2wd's with mashers 2.8's. I am sold on that body. Done deal. So cool. The wheelbase in perfect.
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
    That looks like one of my slash 2wd's with mashers 2.8's. I am sold on that body. Done deal. So cool. The wheelbase in perfect.
    Thanks I like how this truck looks a lot.

Small update. Added plastic adhesive like the ones you put on your cell phone screen for anti-scratch. I put it between my motor and the motor plate cut to size. Can hardly notice it is there but now no more dirt gets stuck in my drive train. Also put it under my chassis.