RC poster

And Another TQi Radio Dead... Traxxas what the heck is going on here?

Last week my 4ch transmitter died after just three days. Bought a new 2ch off e-bay hoping for better luck. Ran one tank of fuel (T-Maxx) turned off the truck rx, radio then un-docked my old iPhone 4. After re-fueling I was scrolling through the app just double checking all my settings and clicked "transmitter memory" got the pop up "transmitter must be on and connected to device" I turned on the radio and slid the iPhone onto the connector.

THEN THE GREEN LED WENT OUT!

I knew right off I just lost the brand new radio

The Traxxas Link settings to update firmware were turned off as well as wifi and all updates for the iPhone that is no longer in service as a working phone (I now have a Android with a different service provider).

IMO the TQi transmitter is a good radio but when connected to an i device... it's a VERY expensive roll of the dice gamble. I loved the telemetry (when it worked) but Traxxas has dropped the ball with this technology IMO. Needless to say I will NOT try the TQi again... UNTIL Traxxas steps up to the plate and fixes this ongoing problem, I think they should at least tell us what the problem(s) are so we can figure the solutions out ourselves. They say software/firmware problems with the flash updates. With the way my second tx died, I think it's in the circuitry myself.

Is there another tx that I can use that has telemetry that won't brake the bank, until Traxxas finally fixes these issue? Or are we all just doomed with this hit or miss technology?

[/rant]

RC Racer
    The TQi with docking base seems to be just a bad combo. My 5 channel Summit TQi with docking base became unresponsive in less than 1 month and TQi replaced it under warranty but it cost me postage.

Now my ERBE TQi with iPod docking base (7 months old) suddenly just stopped functioning while my iPod 3rd generation with wifi off was connected. Turn the TQi on and the light just blinks red. Do the MENU SET hold turn on reset and the TQi light glows yellow. press set and it slowly blinks green, press set and it goes off. ERBE works fine with a TQi without docking base.

It is so disappointing that Traxxas TQi is not reliable
    Last edited by Dementor; 04-01-2014 at 09:48 PM.

RC Racer
    Called Traxxas and they said the thing was "bricked" and the firmware needed to be reflashed under warranty at no charge (other than for my $8 postage). Sent it in and waiting to see what happens. I'm almost afraid to run the iPod on these anymore.

Couple hints

1. Make sure the docking base and iDevice pins are clean...I mean clean. When i use my iPhone the lint from my pocket can get into the iPhone port and cause issues.

2. If the iDevice starts an update...... DO NOT interrupt the transmission, and don't let the iDevice go into sleep mode. This can cause a firmware issue.

I have done these 2 things and never had an issue.
    slash 4x4 lcg, telluride(modded), TCP........and other things

RC Competitor
    This very thing just happened to me. I sent in my radio and they "replaced" my radio as a "courtesy". It was a re-manufactured which is no biggie IMO. But I will also never use telemetry as I am thinking that is what caused it. I was told the same thing that it needed re-flashed. Which turned out not to be the case. Hope you have the luck I did bro. Also never had any issues with Traxxas radios until i used the docking base with IPhone or ITouch. I was using a Touch Gen 2.
    My Transmitter died while i was driving and I was 20 miles away from my WiFi so there was no way it was updating.
    Your not having fun unless you break it!

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by TRX_RC_ADDIC View Post
    I will also never use telemetry as I am thinking that is what caused it... I was 20 miles away from my WiFi so there was no way it was updating.
    I'll never try it again myself...

I did moved the docking base over to a new (e-bay) radio just so I could still use the rechargeable hump pack instead of AAs. On the iPhone 4 the wifi was turned off, airplane mode, and all updates disabled... and it still got me (second time). You're better off just strapping the phone to the model and using one of the many speedo apps from the itune store lol.