RC poster

Project truck -Telluride or Stampede 4x4vxl

I am stuck between the two. I want to purchase one of these as a project truck. Either one I get i will be doing major upgrades to. Anyone with knowledge of both have suggestions on the better choice here? Thank you in advance

RC Qualifier
    I bought a telluride, not knowing anything.. and converted it to a stampede. There's very few differences aside from the body between the two, the telly just has shorter arms, driveshafts, and a nylon center driveshaft. If i was going to do it again i would've just started with a stampede.

RC poster
    Thank you!

RC Competitor
    If you are going to do major upgrades, you may consider to just buy a roller and build up instead of taking a complete truck, tearing it down, and replacing 90% of the parts.

I started blind with Telly. I ended up replacing the tires, suspension, motor/esc to make it a Stampede. I found that the short wheel base made it very easy to crash when jumping. After trashing my Telly body and a Stampede body, I ended up changing out the chassis to a Slash to lengthen the wheelbase and give my more body choices. My Telly is now a monster truck VW Bug on a Slash chassis. The only parts that are left from the original Telly are the shock towers/diff/bulkhead assemblies.

Had I known then what I know now, I would have bought a roller and built up.

RC Champion
    OK. Good advice. But that leads to the next question:

Stampede roller or slash roller.

I went withe the slash roller mostly for the body choices and there are simply a lot of slash rollers out there for cheap. But due to the longer wheel base you will lose the ability to wheelie on demand, but the stability makes up for it.
    MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE

RC Qualifier

Pede ftw...

RC Competitor
    A Slash will not wheelie as easily, but you can make them do it. I am running the Castle SCT 3800KV combo with the 2.8x3 trenchers and 13/54T on 2S and I can get the front to float and lift on a bump, but not necessarily wheelie. I could probably get wheelies if I went a few teeth higher on the pinion, but I keep the gearing on the low side to play around in sticky conditions.

The Slash comes stock with 1/10 scale rated brushless, so when they slash guys upgrade or build up from roller for bashing they usually go to setups made for 1/8th scale (3S-4S 2200KV & higher gear ratios).